Screen room - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Screen room

I would like some thoughts as to weight of an alternative way to stake down a clam screen room. I thought of containers of water, but how much would offer enough weight. Our scamps are small and in state parks, here in PA have ample asphalt pads, at least the ones I have been at. Would you need 5, 10, 15 #of water per stake location. Just wondering while I am watching the snow fall. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
California
Bladders used to hold winter pool covers in place would provide lots of weight and be compact to store when emptied.
Plumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Carl,
California Dreamin on a Winter's Day?
I'd imagine one gallon water jugs (about 8 lbs. each) would keep a Clam shelter from lift-off under most conditions. But I've had mine "implode" in heavy wind. I believe only tie-downs attached to the center of each wall can prevent that. Anchoring those has to depend on your environment. Rocks? You say you will be camping on asphalt, but aren't there tent pads on soil in PA?

Have patience, spring will come (if it doesn't, we're all doomed)
Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Thanks guys. Yes you have to tie down the sides in very windy weather. I keep my eye on weather reports for unusual high wind. Your answers give me some ideas. Carl
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Carl, keep us up-dated with what you try, what worked and what didn’t, as we also use a CLAM shelter, and would like to learn from others experiences.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Carl, keep us up-dated with what you try, what worked and what didn’t, as we also use a CLAM shelter, and would like to learn from others experiences.
Dave & Paula
When the weather breaks, we will set the clam up in the yard, just in case something got into it over winter. I will try different ways of hold downs and will let you know. Carl
Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Yes, I'm interested in this as well. For the surface of the site at the Boler 50th Anniversary event we are unable to use tent pegs due to buried electrical cables, so need to come up with something. I don't want to haul around any weighted items when not needed. Thinking of things like sandbags, 5 gallon buckets with water, so far. More ideas needed!
Old 03-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #8

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Trash bags, fill with water.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Yes, I'm interested in this as well. For the surface of the site at the Boler 50th Anniversary event we are unable to use tent pegs due to buried electrical cables, so need to come up with something. I don't want to haul around any weighted items when not needed. Thinking of things like sandbags, 5 gallon buckets with water, so far. More ideas needed!
That sounds a bit hokey to me. While I am not “well versed” on electrical codes in British Columbia, codes generally require buried electrical cables to be at a depth much greater than the depth a tent peg would penetrate into the ground. Is that the campground’s rule?
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #10

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That sounds a bit hokey to me. While I am not “well versed” on electrical codes in British Columbia, codes generally require buried electrical cables to be at a depth much greater than the depth a tent peg would penetrate into the ground. Is that the campground’s rule?
It's not a campground. And it's in Manitoba not BC. And the reason is not buried cables. The big Boler 50th is being held at the Red River Exhibition grounds. We'll be camping on either pavement or gravel. The pavement of course would not take pegs and the Ex does not want holes in the gravel.

So Carl when we come camping at your place may we use pegs?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Was just camped at Midway Campground in Big Cypress National Rserve the week before last. A fellow camper, who had their Clam weighted but not staked down, lost it. A wind gust blew it across the road and into the lake. It then was blown across the lake and sank on the far side. After much searching by canoe, including using a treble hook, it was deemed "lost". Probably making a good alligator shelter now. :-)

Guess my point is, weights are not nearly as fool-proof as good staking. All it takes is one unexpected gust to send them airborne.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
It's not a campground. And it's in Manitoba not BC. And the reason is not buried cables. The big Boler 50th is being held at the Red River Exhibition grounds. We'll be camping on either pavement or gravel. The pavement of course would not take pegs and the Ex does not want holes in the gravel.

So Carl when we come camping at your place may we use pegs?

Adrian
My mistake. The person I quoted did say they couldn’t use tent pegs due to buried cables. Pavement not allowing for the use of tent pegs makes much more sense. And yes, the increasingly famous Campsite #1 is grassy, so pegs may be employed if desired. I will be seeing you at GE&H by the way, but we are relegated to the outback (Antioch Loop rather than Catoma) with the rest of the lower caste!
Old 03-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #13

Manitoba
Carl

We are with you in the lower caste section site 119

Adrian
Old 03-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #14

Florida
Adrian........just down the road from you in Site 85. We will be there next Sunday. We are leaving Friday, stopping in Chipley, FL, overnight at the Wolf Preserve and doing the wolf encounter on Saturday, then staying Saturday night. If I survive the wolves without getting mauled, we should get to Gunter Hill around 1:00.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #15

Manitoba
We are only leaving home Sunday four day drive for us. At least leaving it's a short drive to our daughters at Fort Benning