Screen room addions...What type/brand? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Screen room addions...What type/brand?

Hi all,

Last year/winter (2015) we left Michigan in mid January and headed to the SW for a bat project along the lower Colorado River for the month of Feb. We continued Scamping around national parks etc. and returned to Mi. early April. This winter we departed Mi. in November (2015) and still on the road. We are still in Florida doing another bat project, with Scamp parked in front of a friends house for the past few weeks. We will be Scamping again next week and slowly heading north. Seems we will be back first week of April. So another 4+ months on the road.

We love our 16' Scamp, but seems we need more room to do stuff while away from land based house for 3-4+ months at a time.
By stuff I mean things that take space e.g. a place to paint as a semi-mobile studio, table space for research/work related computer stuff, dog grooming/bathing, Foreman grill and crock-pot cook space etc.

Kinda have a need for us to be quasi/temp or seasonally full timing?

After seeing a large array of setups it seems a screen room would be the better choice than up-sizing to a larger (19'-20' something) FGT for just 2 of us and our dog.

Bob and Mary have a great one we saw on Jekyll Island when we met them in December. It has solid (canvas) privacy walls as well as screen. We have seen many many screen only ones that folks in the Everglades N.P. had set up over picnic tables as well.

We are going to need to upgrade to a new/larger tow vehicle [Ford Explorer?] in the very near future and should then have room to carry this. Key on the TV is to NOT have the 3rd row of seats installed. Better to have storage space for screen room, extra coolers etc. Not sure if that is possible yet.

Any pros/cons of various brands/types and/or suggestions on screen rooms?

Cheers,

Bat Dude

Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
You may be interested in this other conversation thread: Tell me about your screen house!

Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi all,

Last year/winter (2015) we left Michigan in mid January and headed to the SW for a bat project along the lower Colorado River for the month of Feb. We continued Scamping around national parks etc. and returned to Mi. early April. This winter we departed Mi. in November (2015) and still on the road. We are still in Florida doing another bat project, with Scamp parked in front of a friends house for the past few weeks. We will be Scamping again next week and slowly heading north. Seems we will be back first week of April. So another 4+ months on the road.

We love our 16' Scamp, but seems we need more room to do stuff while away from land based house for 3-4+ months at a time.
By stuff I mean things that take space e.g. a place to paint as a semi-mobile studio, table space for research/work related computer stuff, dog grooming/bathing, Foreman grill and crock-pot cook space etc.

Kinda have a need for us to be quasi/temp or seasonally full timing?

After seeing a large array of setups it seems a screen room would be the better choice than up-sizing to a larger (19'-20' something) FGT for just 2 of us and our dog.

Bob and Mary have a great one we saw on Jekyll Island when we met them in December. It has solid (canvas) privacy walls as well as screen. We have seen many many screen only ones that folks in the Everglades N.P. had set up over picnic tables as well.

We are going to need to upgrade to a new/larger tow vehicle [Ford Explorer?] in the very near future and should then have room to carry this. Key on the TV is to NOT have the 3rd row of seats installed. Better to have storage space for screen room, extra coolers etc. Not sure if that is possible yet.

Any pros/cons of various brands/types and/or suggestions on screen rooms?

Cheers,

Bat Dude
we have a swiss, easyup with netting and four privacy panels. it sets up easily and serves as an extra bedroom with the side panels up and a couple cots. also a 12x12 kitchen , or siitting room or rain shelter. though it never rains on a scamp.
anchored down it seems quite sturdy. I never leave it up in the wind though. I lower it down and take the top off. a little bit of a bother,,,but easier them replacing it. between that and our awning we have quite a bit of added room. concidering a skeeter net for around the awning this year.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Tnx John & David.

The link suggested some smaller ones that were 6x6 so a bit small.

I will search for the Swiss to see what they are.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
We have a Clam Corporation 9882 Quick-Set Pavilion, 150 x 150-Inch, Brown/Beige. It is a screen house and winter shelter. One person set-up, in under 2 minutes (not including stake down). The top lets lots of light in (especially important in bad weather). We love it. The only problem is that some folks may have difficulty stowing it for travel. It easily fits inside our covered long bed pickup. Packed in the bag, it is about 6'4".
Old 03-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
We have a 16 ft Scamp and have added a 10 x 14 Coleman Instant tent. They advertise a 1 min set-up. It takes me 5 minutes just to coil or uncoil the lines. It probably takes me 10 - 15 minutes with rain fly, undertarp, stakes and lines, if I pay attention and keep moving. The actual " raising" is much better with a second person and can be done in 2 minutes. The space is huge, much larger than the Scamp. It is a 2 room tent, though we used it as a single room. There is a door at either end which helps with wind direction, privacy or water. We purchased the rain fly as well and that doubles the number of stakes and makes it much more secure. We spent 2 weeks at a State Park on the barrier islands in east Florida. The tent will stand up to sustained winds of 20 mph and gusts to 30. There is a good deal of flexing that goes on but nothing broke. I added another line at each of the 4 corner posts.

With all the canvas windows down and the door screens, it is much like a screened in porch. I found it handled the wind best with the screens open. With the canvas zipped up we can control privacy or heat it. It has a floor, so the picnic table stays outside. We bought some of the straight backed folding chairs with side tables and pouches. These worked very well for eating, reading or lounging. A mat on the floor with a pillow was nice for a short nap. We found we could exercise with privacy. The tent is a winner if your going to be set up for a few days or longer. Price was about $210 for the tent with shipping and $45 for the Rain Fly.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
Clam Pavilion for sleeping

After reading so many posts regarding the Clam, I've decided to order the Pavilion in advance of my trailer. My old tent is very heavy and difficult to set-up. I am unsure of using the Clam as a tent for short camping trips (< 1 week). I understand I would need a tarp (footprint) for the floor. How do I keep the critters from coming in under the extended flaps? Should I waterproof the roof and flaps? Anything else you current owners recommend? Seems viable. Clam folks said all I need is a tarp for the floor. Any advice?