Screen Tent for 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 ft
Does anyone have a screen tent that attaches to the Scamp? I've heard there is such a thing but haven't been able to find one. jimsue
jamessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe

talk to gina. she and her burro used something from walmart, i think.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
These 'add a room's are available out there and being as I came from Manitoba I can understand your wanting one.
Before you do buy one, I would advise you to see if you can arrange with someone who has one to spend some time in theirs on one of those warm/hot summer days Manitoba is (semi-)famous for (LOL!!) These screen rooms do block a goodly amount of ANY cooling breeze that may be around and you just may find yourself preferring to find a different way to ward off those bees, wasps, hornets, dragonflys, blackflys, no see-ems, skeeters, etc!! LOL, Been There, Done That)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
These 'add a room's are available out there and being as I came from Manitoba I can understand your wanting one.
Before you do buy one, I would advise you to see if you can arrange with someone who has one to spend some time in theirs on one of those warm/hot summer days Manitoba is (semi-)famous for (LOL!!) These screen rooms do block a goodly amount of ANY cooling breeze that may be around and you just may find yourself preferring to find a different way to ward off those bees, wasps, hornets, dragonflys, blackflys, no see-ems, skeeters, etc!! LOL, Been There, Done That)

http://www.interwestsports.com/ here is an address, I bought a 7 ft awning and a adda room.
Attached Thumbnails
addaroom.jpg  
Gary T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I looked for the screen tent Gina described, and I couldn't find it. I have a feeling they don't make that one anymore. None of the ones I saw at Wal-Mart looked like a good shape for a 13, although I was online shopping and could have missed something.

I need one too, SOON (the bugs are OUT and they are fierce here. I can't believe they joke about Minnesota mosquitoes when they are so bad here PLUS noseeums. And they bite all the time, not just at dawn and dusk

Raya

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
I looked for the screen tent Gina described, and I couldn't find it. I have a feeling they don't make that one anymore. None of the ones I saw at Wal-Mart looked like a good shape for a 13, although I was online shopping and could have missed something.

I need one too, SOON (the bugs are OUT and they are fierce here. I can't believe they joke about Minnesota mosquitoes when they are so bad here PLUS noseeums. And they bite all the time, not just at dawn and dusk

Raya

Raya
Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

Thank you all for your feedback on the screen tent. I think we will wait until we see something in our travels that looks like a good fit for us. This is our first summer with our Scamp so we don't really know what is out there. The Add a Room is also an interesting option. jamessue
Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's the website for a 6' x 6' x 6' pop up screen room that several of us have. Just over $50 You just pop it open and then twist it to fold it just like those pop open window shades for autos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	115_1506.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	19692

[url="http://www.yomart.com/playhut-screen-room.html"]

Not being attached you can move it around. Mine does have a solid top but no floor. Works great.

I also saw them at Cabela's, if you have one nearby, for about $60.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #9

Joy,

If one wanted to, will it go up against the door on a Boler/clone 13-footer, do you know?

Raya
Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had one of the pop up ones.. no it will not fit against the door, and mine only had one door.

The screen tent I had from Wally World is no longer made, but here is it's saga

Never buy an accessory bigger than the trailer

They DO have a squarish replacement model that others have used tho. I may get one and mod it as the worlds biggest X-Pen.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
No it really won't fit against the Scamp/Boler. In addition, the door opening is not very high so it wouldn't mesh with the trailer door.

I have an awning so I put the pop up at the rear of the awning. I step from under the awning into the pop up. My Scamp also has a screen door so the only bugs that will get me are while I'm under the awning between the trailer and pop up.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #12

Thanks to both of you for the additional info
Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have one from Walmart that I think is still sold there. I certainly still see them in the Walmarts I go to. It does not sit really tight up against our Uhaul, but does a great job at keeping out the bugs. We tie it down and attach it to the tongue and bumper. It adds a great extra space when camping and is a pop-up. It seems pretty good in the wind. We had another one from Walmart that blew down in a storm. We feel better about this one. The trailer door opens under the edges. You can buy a wind screen for it and all the 10-foot accessories sold in hutshop.com will work for it. We bought the windscreen that goes with it but do not use it. We do use the inside wind screen from hutshop.com. It is called a First Up, and Walmart still has them online. You can buy them as your favorite team even. We use Halloween rope light to light the tie-downs, as these are easy to trip on or hang yourself on in the dark. It makes a great extra space.

Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul_1.jpg   Uhaul_2.jpg  

Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
They DO have a squarish replacement model that others have used tho. I may get one and mod it as the worlds biggest X-Pen.
How would you keep the dogs from going out under it, Gina? I've thought of that but it seems they'd find it awfully easy to escape.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #15

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Target Canopy/Screen Room

Has anyone tried the King Canopy (10'x10') from Target? It only weighs 14 lbs. and comes with solid walls, floor, large zip open windows and door. Just wondered how it compared to the Ventura of the same size from Wal Mart? The price is about the same. The Ventura weighs 50 lbs!
Thanks for any help you can offer or other ideas. I have a 13' Trillium.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We use a 12 X 12 Northern Breeze screen room by Eureka. It has 4 flaps to close it in, or roll them up to use the screens. It comes with three poles to use one flap as an awning, or buy extra poles if you want more awning sides. Last winter we spent in the south, it was our living room/dining room. We had the picnic table in it along with 2 chairs, a TV, dorm fridge, camp storage table, coffee pot & toaster, and an electric heater. Cool days we had the flaps down & heater running, warm days roll up the flaps for the screens. It has an external, aluminum pole frame, easily set up by two people once you figure out the method. Pricey though at about $400, but well worth it for us.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Has anyone tried the King Canopy (10'x10') from Target? It only weighs 14 lbs. and comes with solid walls, floor, large zip open windows and door. Just wondered how it compared to the Ventura of the same size from Wal Mart? The price is about the same. The Ventura weighs 50 lbs!
Hummm, I haven't heard of this brand and the lightweight you mentioned sounds appealing. However the King Canopy website says "Weight: 57 lbs. in the box" Where did you find the 14lb weight?

King Canopy
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I too questioned the 14 lb weight, but doing a search of "King Canopy at Target" I did find it listed at 14 lb, but doubt that is accurate. Also if that weight was correct, how sturdy would it be. We once had a cheapy screen room, and that's just what it was. Gave it away, bought a hex shape Eureka screen room that is good, but the Northern Breeze with its solid flaps is perfect for us. Weight of it is 33 lb. Has a floor option at extra cost, we use a polypropylene camping/patio mat instead.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Randy Bishop describes 3 bag awnings that have optional screen rooms
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post266154

Note that the current Carefree model is metric @ 2.5 m so you will have to check your available length. You can choose from the "add a room" and breezeway screen room. The Intrawest and Dometic come in even foot lengths. Many pop up trailers have them, so don't limit your searches to the fiberglass forums if you are looking for used. Many Rockwoods used the Carefree. (Hint: Tent trailers don't seem to last as long as ours)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Similar to that King Canopy, I have a Walmart Ozark Trail canopy that is over 6 feet at the side so fits over the top of my Campster door. I bought the hanging tent and screen walls, though I haven't used the screen walls. The canopy is very easy to set up (easier than my EZ-up by a long shot) and the hanging tent even easier (no poles, it just hangs from the canopy.) We used it in cold weather as extra living space with the hanging tent. I bought the screen walls just in case but actually rarely camp with bugs.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp