screws or rivets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
I pulled my shelves out of my boler and will be looking at mounting them back in their location again, but curious if people use small machine screws - or rivets again to mount the shelves?

Should I go about stainless? What size have people used?

I plan on doing some fiberglass repair on the top, so I could glass over the screws knowing that a new paint job is also coming...

Thanks
Tim
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Scads and Scads of posts on the rivet vs. screw debate in the forum so I'll pass on adding to it.

However, if I read you right you're contemplating on, if you go the screw route, of glassing over the screw heads. Mostly for appearance I think. Personally, trailers being the fairly flexible things they are, I would want access to almost any fastener I installed for potential replacement without having to drill through gelcoat. Threads strip, or get cross threaded, or gummed up.

I may have misinterpreted your comment. In that case....Nevermind!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote