SEAL-UP pop top Campster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I am not clear about the leak, can you clarify? Is it leaking even when the top is down, or only when it's up?

If it leaks when it's down, and you never care to have it up anyway, perhaps it could be sealed 'semi-permanently' with something like Eternabond tape. The Eternabond will not really come off (thus the name) and its sealing ability is excellent, but I think it could be cut at the joint with a blade by some future owner who wanted to raise the top again. The tough part would be how to properly tape the corners, though.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
I permanently sealed a non working sun roof in a Jeep Cherokee once, then wished that I would have fixed it instead.

Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We really need Larry&Carrie and/or Francene to pop in on this topic.They both have pop tops they've put a lot of work into. Don, you might consider sending them each a PM (click on the links in the names I've provided) and describe your problem. Maybe they've got a solution that will fit your needs.

DOC----- you already have my e-mail address. I told you -you should have bought mine.... That blue tarp has to go- it's not waterproof even when it is new. Larry (it's a small world isn't it?)
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
Trails West Campster has a small pop-top (that) leaks too. What would you advise on sealing this thing up ?????
I just purchased this trailer today.
Can you determine if it's the FABRIC part of the top that is leaking? Or is it coming directly from the SOLID top?

My Compact Jr. leaked from the top's raise/lower arm where it bolted through the roof. There was no sealant/gasket around the bolt that penetrated the fiberglass. I took mine apart and used a bit of butyl tape to cover the hole, then poked the bolt through the tape to attach the mechanism. The butyl formed a sealed gasket around the bolt and the leaking stopped.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #19
Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
I am new to fiberglass rv's but I have a bay window vw van with a pop top
When it was leaking I just changed the rubber gasket along the edge or has the gaskets

alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote