SEAL-UP pop top Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #1

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
SEAL-UP pop top Campster

Trails West Campster has a small pop-top in the area of the Galley. My hips hurt, so I always sit on a stool to cook and wash dishes. The pop-top leaks too. What would you advise on sealing this thing up ?????
I just purchased this trailer today.
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
If you are having a body shop do it, you may want to consider installing small 'sides' to provide permanent headroom. My Trillium (solid roof) has the center section that rises with a taper from the front of the trailer, peaks in the middle and tapers back to even at the back. The rise is only a few inches but gives me 'just enough' head room where needed. The raised portion represents about a third of the width of the roof. However, once it's done, it done and almost impossible to economically reverse. I'm not suggesting you do it because I'm not familiar with your needs or your particular trailer, other than looking at camper photos, but if you do decide there are potential advantages to be had.
Cheers,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Most of us here support modifications, but I would suggest not doing what you suggest. How about selling it to somebody who likes the lift top and buy a taller camper?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you seal it up... you've created a pseudo-Havasu! I saw a Havasu at the Oregon Gathering and liked it... nice little trailer. We've seen a couple of pop-up brands for sale, where the owners had permanently affixed the top. Perhaps you can do something that's not really permanent, but stops the leaks. Hummm lengths of butyl and strong latches?? I'm not familiar enough with the mechanism to really offer suggestions. Just thinking out loud.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I would replace the canvas rather than seal it up, because it loses a lot of the value of a pop-top if you seal it up. If it won't go up, its too short for many, and if it won't go down, it won't fit in a garage. You can always leave the top down and cook sitting down, it doesn't leak when down, does it?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Washington
Seal-up, pop top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
If you are having a body shop do it, you may want to consider installing small 'sides' to provide permanent headroom. My Trillium (solid roof) has the center section that rises with a taper from the front of the trailer, peaks in the middle and tapers back to even at the back. The rise is only a few inches but gives me 'just enough' head room where needed. The raised portion represents about a third of the width of the roof. However, once it's done, it done and almost impossible to economically reverse. I'm not suggesting you do it because I'm not familiar with your needs or your particular trailer, other than looking at camper photos, but if you do decide there are potential advantages to be had.
Cheers,
Barrie
Barrie, thanks for your insite to my need to Seal-Up the pop-top.
I will consider your advice.
Doc
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I would replace the canvas rather than seal it up, because it loses a lot of the value of a pop-top if you seal it up. If it won't go up, its too short for many, and if it won't go down, it won't fit in a garage. You can always leave the top down and cook sitting down, it doesn't leak when down, does it?
Bobbie, thank you.
My Campster had the canvas replaced with 'Tavern Tarp'....that really cheep blue crap. It is leaking rain water and is wrecking the plywood
ceiling. I have to act quick because I live close to 'wet' Seattle.

You bring up a very valid point...Resale value. I wasn't even thinking of
that. Thanks Bobie !
Doc
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you seal it up... you've created a pseudo-Havasu! I saw a Havasu at the Oregon Gathering and liked it... nice little trailer. We've seen a couple of pop-up brands for sale, where the owners had permanently affixed the top. Perhaps you can do something that's not really permanent, but stops the leaks. Hummm lengths of butyl and strong latches?? I'm not familiar enough with the mechanism to really offer suggestions. Just thinking out loud.

Thank you Donna,
looks like I had better re-think a 'fix' for my Campster.
Doc
Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #9

Doc, can you cover it in the meantime to help prevent the continual wet from the rain? Sometimes when we're in panic mode, we don't think things all the way through.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #10

Washington
Seal-up, pop top

[QUOTE=campfrugal;241434]

Thank you Donna,
looks like I had better re-think a 'fix' for my Campster.

Posting here is quit a help to a new owner and new member.
Doc
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #11

Washington
Seal-up, pop top

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Most of us here support modifications, but I would suggest not doing what you suggest. How about selling it to somebody who likes the lift top and buy a taller camper?

Well Don, that is interesting....HOWEVER, I just spent a year looking for
an Egg and this was the best I could do. Came close to purchasing a
"Beater" Boler that would have taken a years work or more $$. So here I am , an old time many trailer owner and motorhome owner starting out with a bit of a 'Fixer Campster'.

But yes, I would trade for a Cutie Boler type anytime.

Thanks Don,
Doc
Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #12

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Hi Doc,
Sorry it was difficult for you to find an egg. My comment comes because I really like the pop-tops. I nearly traded my 16 ft Scamp for one, but I found one to buy (also a "fixer").
Don
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #13

We really need Larry&Carrie and/or Francene to pop in on this topic.They both have pop tops they've put a lot of work into. Don, you might consider sending them each a PM (click on the links in the names I've provided) and describe your problem. Maybe they've got a solution that will fit your needs.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Lisa H. has done hers, and the pop top is different in a Campster than a Compact- mechanism is different so it may affect replacing it.

Still, I don't see how it could leak if closed. I just put mine down when it is raining or blowing rain.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I am not clear about the leak, can you clarify? Is it leaking even when the top is down, or only when it's up?

If it leaks when it's down, and you never care to have it up anyway, perhaps it could be sealed 'semi-permanently' with something like Eternabond tape. The Eternabond will not really come off (thus the name) and its sealing ability is excellent, but I think it could be cut at the joint with a blade by some future owner who wanted to raise the top again. The tough part would be how to properly tape the corners, though.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I permanently sealed a non working sun roof in a Jeep Cherokee once, then wished that I would have fixed it instead.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We really need Larry&Carrie and/or Francene to pop in on this topic.They both have pop tops they've put a lot of work into. Don, you might consider sending them each a PM (click on the links in the names I've provided) and describe your problem. Maybe they've got a solution that will fit your needs.

DOC----- you already have my e-mail address. I told you -you should have bought mine.... That blue tarp has to go- it's not waterproof even when it is new. Larry (it's a small world isn't it?)
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
Trails West Campster has a small pop-top (that) leaks too. What would you advise on sealing this thing up ?????
I just purchased this trailer today.
Can you determine if it's the FABRIC part of the top that is leaking? Or is it coming directly from the SOLID top?

My Compact Jr. leaked from the top's raise/lower arm where it bolted through the roof. There was no sealant/gasket around the bolt that penetrated the fiberglass. I took mine apart and used a bit of butyl tape to cover the hole, then poked the bolt through the tape to attach the mechanism. The butyl formed a sealed gasket around the bolt and the leaking stopped.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #19

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
I am new to fiberglass rv's but I have a bay window vw van with a pop top
When it was leaking I just changed the rubber gasket along the edge

Cip1.com or cip1.ca has the gaskets
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster