Sealand Toilet Flush Ball Replacement Gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Sealand Toilet Flush Ball Replacement Gasket

Hi, we have been working on a leak at the flush ball gasket, tried rotating it and reinstalling as per a post I found on here, but the soft rubber part of the gasket is pretty seriously deformed and won't seal. At RV store the helpful and knowledgeable owner said Sealand uses a different type of gasket now due to leak problems and what we got instead is a two piece soft rubber gasket set. It looks alright to hubby, we have not yet installed it. Just noticed that the package says "for models prior to 2001 with overflow hole". Our Scamp is a 2005 and we don't think there is an overflow hole in the toilet. Question is: Has anyone else heard that Sealand changed the gasket type, and does anyone think we can use this gasket set with the overflow hole, even though we do not have one? -Heidi in NH
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Heidi,
Some questions.
What model number do you have ? ( I have a traveler M28-711 )
Do you have your owners manual ?
If you don't have the manual would you like the phone number ?
In my parts list I do not see a " flush ball gasket "

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hi, we have been working on a leak at the flush ball gasket, tried rotating it and reinstalling as per a post I found on here, but the soft rubber part of the gasket is pretty seriously deformed and won't seal. At RV store the helpful and knowledgeable owner said Sealand uses a different type of gasket now due to leak problems and what we got instead is a two piece soft rubber gasket set. It looks alright to hubby, we have not yet installed it. Just noticed that the package says "for models prior to 2001 with overflow hole". Our Scamp is a 2005 and we don't think there is an overflow hole in the toilet. Question is: Has anyone else heard that Sealand changed the gasket type, and does anyone think we can use this gasket set with the overflow hole, even though we do not have one? -Heidi in NH
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #3

New Hampshire
Thanks Bill. Ours is the 711-M28 Marine Toilet, I don't see the word Traveler anywhere on the manual. I have the owner's manual, 5 pages, instructions on installing the unit but not very detailed on repairs. DH is very good at taking stuff apart so we did figure out how to remove the bowl and get to the seal last weekend. I think in the manual it's called a Seal Kit. What my DH picked up at the RV place is "Sealand Bowl Seal Kit, # 385316140, Rubber Flush ball seal and rubber bowl seal". What we saw last weekend is that the old bowl seal is plastic. In the new kit it's rubber. We called the RV place this morning, they said to flip the bowl seal over so that the overflow holes do not line up and we should be all right. They should have the seal kit without overflow holes in stock next week, so we may just wait and exchange it. Has no one else been told that Sealand changed the seal kit for this unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Heidi,
Some questions.
What model number do you have ? ( I have a traveler M28-711 )
Do you have your owners manual ?
If you don't have the manual would you like the phone number ?
In my parts list I do not see a " flush ball gasket "

Bill K
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
The word traveler is on my parts list but not on my manual.

So far I have not had any problems, but then again mine is a 2009.

Sounds like getting the other kit is the way to go.

Good Luck

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Thanks Bill. Ours is the 711-M28 Marine Toilet, I don't see the word Traveler anywhere on the manual. I have the owner's manual, 5 pages, instructions on installing the unit but not very detailed on repairs. DH is very good at taking stuff apart so we did figure out how to remove the bowl and get to the seal last weekend. I think in the manual it's called a Seal Kit. What my DH picked up at the RV place is "Sealand Bowl Seal Kit, # 385316140, Rubber Flush ball seal and rubber bowl seal". What we saw last weekend is that the old bowl seal is plastic. In the new kit it's rubber. We called the RV place this morning, they said to flip the bowl seal over so that the overflow holes do not line up and we should be all right. They should have the seal kit without overflow holes in stock next week, so we may just wait and exchange it. Has no one else been told that Sealand changed the seal kit for this unit?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm sure you're looking to do it right, but if fast and cheap are the agenda and all you're trying to do is stop the water from running and filling up the tank... perhaps a quick connect ¼ turn valve in the supply line is what you need. If the line is handy and you can turn this valve on and off when needed ...
1039B Quick-Connect Stop Valves - Polypropylene, Valves, Quick-Connect Solutions - Watts (and big box stores)
Attached Thumbnails
toilet_valve_mod.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

New Hampshire
Update: it worked!

Update: This worked, and it's now holding water. No big deal to do other than lifting the toilet was very heavy.

"What my DH picked up at the RV place is "Sealand Bowl Seal Kit, # 385316140, Rubber Flush ball seal and rubber bowl seal". What we saw last weekend is that the old bowl seal is plastic. In the new kit it's rubber. We called the RV place this morning, they said to flip the bowl seal over so that the overflow holes do not line up and we should be all right. They should have the seal kit without overflow holes in stock next week, so we may just wait and exchange it. Has no one else been told that Sealand changed the seal kit for this unit?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Heidi,
I know this is an old post, but was there any magic method to pry apart the pedestal cover? I'm hoping I can just depress a tab to release it but don't want to pry on anything and break it. I believe it's time to replace our seal as water slowly seeps through to the tank from the bowl overnight.

Donna,
I added a cutoff to my toilet before we left for an extended trip last month and it worked great for minimizing water use when flushing!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
As I recall, when I did ours, it splits at the pedal side and opens up. This is assuming you have the same model as ours, which I don't remember what that was. I got the parts from Amazon.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #9

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm sure you're looking to do it right, but if fast and cheap are the agenda and all you're trying to do is stop the water from running and filling up the tank... perhaps a quick connect ¼ turn valve in the supply line is what you need. If the line is handy and you can turn this valve on and off when needed ...
1039B Quick-Connect Stop Valves - Polypropylene, Valves, Quick-Connect Solutions - Watts (and big box stores)
Hello Donna, the model of quick connectors is very nice and easy to use, but a seller of parts for trailers advised me against this use, prevailing the connectors that we locked manually and at our discretion.
This type of quick connector grips the hose very well when there is pressure in the plumbing.
But during our movements, by the vibration, the connection can slip with what follows ...

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote