Sealing Burro roof - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Posts: 27
Sealing Burro roof

Just bought a 17' Burro, we had heavy rain and I found the bed cushions
soaked in the back room. The roof has spots of silicone.

Is there any thing I could use to completely seal the top?
It had silicone on the widows,could not open them.
Can I clean the silicone off and use acrylic latex around the perimeter
of the window? I would like to be able to open them.

Thanks, Gene
__________________

__________________
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Posts: 27
Burro Leaks

If I take the rear side window out, can you find rubber to fit between
the perimeter of body and window?
Thanks, Gene
__________________

__________________
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I would be very surprised if it's the roof leaking. The vertical seam is actually fiberglassed shut and rarely leaks. However, it could very easily be the roof vent (or AC if you have it) that is leaking around the edges or the windows. The windows are the usual culprit, since they leak right down on the cushions and pillows of the bed. Both vent and window leaks are due to gaskets that have dried out and cracked. These can be replaced. Also, the windows should have weep holes in the outside lower track. These can be plugged, causing the water to rise up over the felt/rubber track and leak inside. Many people have tracked down leaking windows by having a partner hose down the trailer, focusing specifically on the window sides. With a flashlight, you can see the water running down, often a distance from the actual leak. While you may not be able to find the exact window track material, Perfect Fit has large variety of window channels that may work. They do work for the Burro's UHaul cousin!
__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,333
Good advice from Kevin, But we did have a couple leaks in our Uhaul roof seam. Also leaks around the windows, at the marker lights, and around the door hinges. Some leaks didn't show up using a stream of water from a hose, but would when it rained. The inner shell makes it difficult to find the source of the leaks. It takes just a very small split or crack in the window rubber to allow water to leak in.
__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Posts: 27
After doing a search I took the window out and will
replace with butyl putty tape.
It's 3/4' wide and 1/8" thick..

Question: Is this thick enough? Should I run two layers?
I think now my roof is ok...after reading other posts
But the cushions were soak on the bottom..must have been
the window leaking...finally dawned on me. Vent may be leaking also.
Fan cover I mean.
Thanks for any help.
Gene
__________________
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Posts: 27
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I would be very surprised if it's the roof leaking. The vertical seam is actually fiberglassed shut and rarely leaks. However, it could very easily be the roof vent (or AC if you have it) that is leaking around the edges or the windows. The windows are the usual culprit, since they leak right down on the cushions and pillows of the bed. Both vent and window leaks are due to gaskets that have dried out and cracked. These can be replaced. Also, the windows should have weep holes in the outside lower track. These can be plugged, causing the water to rise up over the felt/rubber track and leak inside. Many people have tracked down leaking windows by having a partner hose down the trailer, focusing specifically on the window sides. With a flashlight, you can see the water running down, often a distance from the actual leak. While you may not be able to find the exact window track material, Perfect Fit has large variety of window channels that may work. They do work for the Burro's UHaul cousin!
Kevin where do you find the gasket? Thanks
BTW the center roof ridge has been grounded flat for some reason.
Does not have the burro roof look down the center.
Weep holes are clean...I checked with air and hose
__________________
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
Some of the Escondido Burros had the seam leveled and sealed, rather than what you typically see. I have seen that many with the seam leveled, but they do exist from the factory.

I am not sure why they did some, and not the others. I just installed a floor in a 14 footer for a client recently and it did not have the typical seam. It gave me a chance to thoroughly exam the leveling and it looked secure and well done to me.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Posts: 27
burro flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Some of the Escondido Burros had the seam leveled and sealed, rather than what you typically see. I have seen that many with the seam leveled, but they do exist from the factory.

I am not sure why they did some, and not the others. I just installed a floor in a 14 footer for a client and it did not have the typical seam.

I took up the carpet and the fiberglass floor looked like a butcher cut it.
I'm trying to even it up so I can install pergo wood floor.

Any ideas on how to cut it evenly?
I tried tin snips...thought maybe a small skill saw... set the blade shallow.
Thanks, Gene
__________________
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
Unfortunately, you will need a new subfloor to get it level. The flanges you are trying to cut can be secured down to the original floor with deck screws every few inches. this makes them sit somewhat flat and ready for the subfloor.

The encapsulated floor has a "hump" in the center running the whole length of the coach and the encapsulate is full of lumps, bumps and other permanent nasties. You will never have good results unless a subfloor goes down.

I have done a couple Burros. I used birth plywood (Because it's really light) and shimmed up the low spots with scrap vinyl planking pieces, full length with excellent results. The one I just mentioned was done in 1/4" ply, at the owners insistence and against my recommendation, but it turned out surprisingly "OK". It only had a few creaks that the owner was OK with. (They were trying to save money) I used 1/2" in my own burro and had no such issues, but had to remount all the lower cubby doors due to the floor finish height.

BUT.. back to the original question from the OP..the roof.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
as an FYI, make SURE there is no wiring stuck under the flanges before you get out your drill and screws. Both the Escondido ones I have done had some sloppy wire dress and the trailer light wiring was jambed under a couple of the flanges instead of being routed in the nice slot provided for them. Escondido burros had some poor workmanship in surprising places.

My 13 ft Sac City Burro was nice and I had no such issues.

NOW back to your regularly scheduled roof questions... (Sorry!)
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
Posts: 27
Subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Unfortunately, you will need a new subfloor to get it level. The flanges you are trying to cut can be secured down to the original floor with deck screws every few inches. this makes them sit somewhat flat and ready for the subfloor.

The encapsulated floor has a "hump" in the center running the whole length of the coach and the encapsulate is full of lumps, bumps and other permanent nasties. You will never have good results unless a subfloor goes down.

I have done a couple Burros. I used birth plywood (Because it's really light) and shimmed up the low spots with scrap vinyl planking pieces, full length with excellent results. The one I just mentioned was done in 1/4" ply, at the owners insistence and against my recommendation, but it turned out surprisingly "OK". It only had a few creaks that the owner was OK with. (They were trying to save money) I used 1/2" in my own burro and had no such issues, but had to remount all the lower cubby doors due to the floor finish height.

BUT.. back to the original question from the OP..the roof.
Thanks a bunch..1/2' sounds like the way to go..and it's not expensive.
__________________
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
Hey, Gene, now that you have that coolio Burro, you can change your ID from 'in the market' to 17ft Burro!! Congrats on the new trailer. People love those Burros
__________________

__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sealing roof perforations-Bigfoot Tony Nowak Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 07-16-2009 12:48 AM
Compact II fresh water intake and sealing windows??? Pat Goodwin Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 01-24-2009 05:48 AM
Windows not sealing Doug C2 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-20-2008 08:07 PM
window sealing Ian Harrad Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 10-03-2006 07:23 PM
Sealing/Repairing Underside of Floor Jeff G. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-28-2006 03:17 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.