Seamstress in Northern California?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
Seamstress in Northern California??

I am looking for someone to help make new cushion covers for my 4 cushions. I got a quote for $800 and almost cried. Is that a reasonable amount?? I don't sew at all and just don't know what to do. Already bought the fabric (no pattern) and piping....now just need to sew them up!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Wow, you can get a full set of new covers from Scamp for less than that. $290 USD + shipping and handling. Cushion Covers Full Set of Seven No Foam
You could probably get only four for less.

If you really want the colour / fabric that you have bought, you might ask Scamp if their supplier would be willing to make a set with your fabric.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
That price is quite high, especially since you have your own fabric. Does that include foam? Good foam is expensive, but there are lots of places to buy it online, just google foam cushions.
I had my sofa reupholstered for $1100 and it had 6 cushions. (my fabric, reused cushions)
I would get some more bids.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
I have my original foam. I just need simple slip covers really. I'm going to try and convince a friend. Thanks Guys!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
I am looking for someone to help make new cushion covers for my 4 cushions. I got a quote for $800 and almost cried. Is that a reasonable amount?? I don't sew at all and just don't know what to do. Already bought the fabric (no pattern) and piping....now just need to sew them up!
Northern California for you. Everything costs 2 to 3 times what it would in the rest of the country.

Let me know what you find. I want to upholstery and will be spending a few weeks in Nor Cal this summer.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Wow, you can get a full set of new covers from Scamp for less than that. $290 USD + shipping and handling. Cushion Covers Full Set of Seven No Foam
You could probably get only four for less.

If you really want the colour / fabric that you have bought, you might ask Scamp if their supplier would be willing to make a set with your fabric.
That is an interesting option. Never even considered checking with Scamp for new upholstery.

I wonder if it would be less if you didn't have all those cushions. Also wonder if they could provide matching fabric by the yard so I could cover a few custom pieces of foam I have.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I believe it is yes to both. Call to make sure for yourself. Historically bad at responding to emails.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I believe it is yes to both. Call to make sure for yourself. Historically bad at responding to emails.
I have not found the Scamp factory all that helpful. I have 2 sets of axle brackets and bolts for a 16" Scamp. I have ONE 13" Scamp, not TWO 16' Scamps. Between messed up orders and how crooked my factory fan was I wonder if they like to drink there in Backus MN. They seem friendly, just not getting the impression that precision is a big emphasis for them.

But I'll call them Monday.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
????$800?????
you can probably go to joann fabrics,,, i assume they have one near you or some other place that sells sewing stuff and take lessons ,using their equipment and sew them up yourself,,,its really an easy project and i'm sure you could do it. and heck,,,after that a used sewing machine and one or two sets of cussions sewn for someone else,,,,and your stuff is free.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
????$800?????
you can probably go to joann fabrics,,, i assume they have one near you or some other place that sells sewing stuff and take lessons ,using their equipment and sew them up yourself,,,its really an easy project and i'm sure you could do it. and heck,,,after that a used sewing machine and one or two sets of cussions sewn for someone else,,,,and your stuff is free.
They have lessons?? Might be fun, and probably not a horrible way to meet creative ladies. Win win!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
At that price it appears they just didn't want to do the job.

I had upholestry done on my boat and it wasn't that much and that included the material.