Seating/Cabinet Removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler
I've been gutting my '73 Boler and had no troubles taking out the dinette bench seating, or the upper cabinets. I haven't yet attempted the lower cabinets because I can't figure out how to remove the fridge? Can anyone give me some tips?

In addition, I was able to remove the 'sofa/bunk' bench, but only after encountering that it was fiberglassed to the door frame on the lower corner. Is this typical? I actually had to use a chisel and delaminate the corner from the door frame, the whole while I was absolutely paranoid that I was going to ruin the door frame as it is considerably thin there. I did finally get it off, but am now scared to attempt removal of the closet because I suspect it is also fiberglassed to the frame around the entrance door. I was hoping to remove it, bondo (?) the screw holes all over the sides of it and repaint along with all the other innards. In addition, of all the inside components the closet is still very firmly attached with no missing rivets so I may just leave it. Makes cleaning and painting everything more difficult though.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have a photo to share of the inside supports for their entrance door? I'm not sure if mine are standard or if someone has amended/replaced the original structures.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #2

No one knows how to remove the fridge? I'm pretty sure I've got all the screws/rivets removed yet it still won't come out. Anyone?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Well Shelley, I don't have a boler, but I had a similar issue on my Scamp fridge. I did find two screws at the bottom rear of the fridge that went down into the flooring that I could only access through the outside vent. After removing those it still wouldn't budge. Turned out it was just stuck from being in there for 20+ years. Shaking it from side to side and using brute force, I finally got it to come loose and it was still pretty much a wrestling match all the way out. Can't say for sure if you are experiencing the same issue, but if you are sure you have all the screws out it probably is just stuck.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I've removed two fridges. One came out easily after I found all the attach points. The other needed a bit of persuasion. It should slide out, from the front, with a bit of wiggling back and forth. One had a sheet metal casing around it, with additional screws, the other didn't.

Make sure all 12 volt and 110 power wires are removed. Also make sure it is disconnected from the copper gas line so that it can be moved.

Some trailers did have the cabinets fibreglassed to the shell with no rivets being used while other trailers were rivited. This was probably a cost-saving technique. You can probably cut your closet out and then fibreglass it back it later. Without seeing your particular Boler I am guessing that a sawzall would work to remove the closet.

If you are painting the trailer then it is pretty easy to patch all old rivet holes with bondo/ bondo hair or bondo glass. There really isn't too much you can wreck on the Boler. I've put holes where I didn't need them and have moved other holes around. The repair is a quick fibreglass chop patch, a layer of bondo, proper sanding and feathering and then prime and paint.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #5

Thank you! I'll check the metal casing - perhaps I missed a screw or two - and we've already disconnected the electric and tubing.