Secure Cabinet Latch Solutions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Secure Cabinet Latch Solutions?

I'm looking for secure latch solutions for cabinets in my 13' Scamp.

I've read about the cabinet latch solutions of many including the Phlip-It latch Phlip-It RV Cabinet Latches , yet I did not see the following latch. Our closet latch, in particular, has never stayed closed when under way while most of the other cabinets have. For extra "hold" I add bungee cords to every door and icebox doors. They all hold tight except for the closet door. The porta-potty door holds tight without any extras, although I don't want to depend on that latch alone, if you get my drift. Just now, I thought of an extra bit of security for the porta-potty! I can put a 1" high wood (or other) bar across the inside front on the floor. The fiberglass edges of the bench would hold the potty from sliding forward and I can remove the board, when needed.

I found this latch on Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924 Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924. Camco Cam Lock (straight or offset) https://www.etrailer.com/Doors/Camco/CAM44333.html It also comes in a key lock form, which I do not need. I need something that can be left in the "unlocked" position when camping and in the "locked" position when underway. It looks like I only need to drill the wood cabinet and not the fiberglass. I believe the "offset" flange would be best for my purposes as it would neatly go behind the fiberglass wall.

So, I'd like to know if any of you have used this latch and I'd like to know of your success or lack, thereof. Being that our cabinet doors are made of particle board I'd like to know if there is a special way to drill and mount so that it doesn't deteriorate with time and vibration.

Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 005.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Ria

Name: Ria
Trailer: Looking to buy soon
North Dakota
We have child safety latches and the hold extremely well. Similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/WONDERKID-Qua...105350&sr=1-31
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Gilda, I have two of those latches in our Uhaul, one on a drop down hatch I installed, and another on a slide out drawer I installed in place of the furnace. Both work good, stay latched. Note that they come in a few different shaft lengths for different thickness doors or drawers. They are available from several sources, I found them at a RV dealer
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Just learned today that there are special screws for particle board. They have less threads on them so they do not chew up the "wood" as much.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
special screws....

never heard of those......... I just been pre-drilling.....

time to "get with the times"????....

Naw, too old / too lazy to change
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

Name: Koren
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I have the 16' Scamp and find the Scamp latches work great - but you have to adjust them. If the closet isn't staying shut, just unscrew the screw and adjust. Hardware : Cabinet Door Roller Catch
mswhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhipp View Post
I have the 16' Scamp and find the Scamp latches work great - but you have to adjust them. If the closet isn't staying shut, just unscrew the screw and adjust. Hardware : Cabinet Door Roller Catch
I had the same issue with my closet door when I first got my used Scamp, but there was no adjustment left- probably installed a little off at the factory. So I flipped the door 180 degrees and reinstalled the old hardware carefully. Seems fine now. After four years, the door has not popped open even once. I did leave some adjustment room this time.

But the OP's approach seems like a great alternative. It doesn't have any screws going into the MDF but does require a fairly large hole through the door. Don't think there is anything special about drilling through the MDF, other than "measure twice, drill once"! Probably a good idea to drill a small starter hole before the big one. And of course, make sure you install it so the arm swings down from above rather than up from below.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's what I use for the 3 door cupboard over the Kitchen.

A piece of scrap Oak with 3 notches and some felt on the back side to keep from scratching the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen cabinet lock #2.JPG   kitchen cabinet lock #1.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Here's what I use for the 3 door cupboard over the Kitchen.

A piece of scrap Oak with 3 notches and some felt on the back side to keep from scratching the doors.
Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with a bungee cord hooked on and/or wrapped around the handles? Lighter weight, easier to store.
Attached Thumbnails
Can cupboard bungee.jpg   Fridge bungee.jpg  

Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We installed the Phlip-it latches on all our doors an drawers. They work great.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with a bungee cord hooked on and/or wrapped around the handles? Lighter weight, easier to store.
The bungee would work also Glenn but with Joys lock it can never open up because of the door swing and contact points. Really depends on how the doors and such swing. I use basically the same set up on my garage cabinet doors as I'm very close to an earthquake fault line.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #12

California
Registry
Thanks everyone for your great ideas and suggestions.

I think the 3M child safety latches will do the trick as they will not damage the cabinet door nor the fiberglass AND they get rave reviews.

We tried to adjust the latch but it does not stay where put. Maybe we need to replace the screws with particle board friendly ones.

We have no place above or below the cabinet door to attach bungee cords. The one we have attached (sideways to the screen door) has too much "play" in it while under way (even when pulled tight) allowing the door to open. The photo shows the cabinet door in question with the bungee cord draped over the screen door handle. If we used a non-stretch strap with a loop on one end and an adjustable loop on the other, that might work.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 001.jpg  
Old 08-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
I'm surprised no one has mentioned these:
Click image for larger version

Name:	64477-04-1000.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	98491
http://go.rockler.com/tech/Positive-...structions.pdf
More simple and clean-looking than door bars or bungee cords, but a little harder to install. When the knob is pushed in flush, the door is latched. When released (extended), the door is free to open and the button serves as a knob. I have one and it works well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was happy to say goodbye to those child-proof latches when my kids grew up.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned these:
Attachment 98491
http://go.rockler.com/tech/Positive-...structions.pdf
More simple and clean-looking than door bars or bungee cords, but a little harder to install. When the knob is pushed in flush, the door is latched. When released (extended), the door is free to open and the button serves as a knob. I have one and it works well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was happy to say goodbye to those child-proof latches when my kids grew up.

Gordon
In my search on FGRV these latches were mentioned many times. I contacted a vendor and he said he has assisted many Scamp owners install them, but they used new wood doors NOT the original doors. I rented a camper van while camping in New Zealand and it had those "Positive-Action-Push-Button-Catches" and they worked beautifully!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
Hey Gilda, read these reviews to make sure you're getting the right size latch (maybe you have already?):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC6X52...sl_2dy0l4a3y_b

I don't know why anyone would have trouble mounting a push button latch in any average door. It's just a matter of using the right fasteners and the proper method for the material. Was that vendor selling the door along with the latch?

Best of luck

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #16

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Hey Gilda, read these reviews to make sure you're getting the right size latch (maybe you have already?):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC6X52...sl_2dy0l4a3y_b

I don't know why anyone would have trouble mounting a push button latch in any average door. It's just a matter of using the right fasteners and the proper method for the material. Was that vendor selling the door along with the latch?

Best of luck

Gordon
Truth is, I don't want to drill any holes and want an effective and minimally invasive solution. No, the vender does not sell doors.
G