Securing an awning foot to cement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
How do you all keep the legs of a canopy in a gallon of sand, water or? without those legs just flying out of the bucket????
I have a free standing ez up that blew over the 1st camp out last spring. Those legs just moved, fell and wripped the entire metal frame. We bought a new one, and do want to put it on the deck overlooking the river where it can get mighty breezy. What would you suggest for this type of set up? I think the ground anchors look great but on a wooden deck that would not work for either the camper or the canopy.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #22

Name: Terrylou
Trailer: 2010 Earthbound
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn
How do you all keep the legs of a canopy in a gallon of sand, water or? without those legs just flying out of the bucket????
I have a free standing ez up that blew over the 1st camp out last spring. Those legs just moved, fell and wripped the entire metal frame. We bought a new one, and do want to put it on the deck overlooking the river where it can get mighty breezy. What would you suggest for this type of set up? I think the ground anchors look great but on a wooden deck that would not work for either the camper or the canopy.
The spikes can go into the ground or wood, the anchor can remain permanent. You just use the screw in eyelet to anchor the awning arm. This allows you to just unscrew it when it's time to pack up. This can be used in both a permanent location or on the road. So, the spikes can go in the ground or wood. I suppose it could also be set I'm concrete but, then the anchor would have to stay behind.
Terry Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
What would you suggest for this type of set up?
Maybe as I mention in a post on the first page? Quik Shade Canopy Leg Weight Set (4) - Toys "R" Us
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #24

Yes Donna, I am thinking either the quick shade canopy weight set or one of those sand bag velcro sets. I think I would want at least 2 of the quick shade sets making that at least 40 lb - and then maybe some concrete bricks over that to hold down the weights.
I bet if I do all this the canopy will rip or blow away and I will end up with only the legs. That would be about my luck.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
If we had to depend on MY luck - the awning would still be there - the trailer would be gone!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #26

Name: Terrylou
Trailer: 2010 Earthbound
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylou H

Hi Bob, Yes, precisely!
Sorry Bob, the ground anchor from Lee Valley Tools!
Terry Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Exclamation anchors

OK - now since the original question was how to hold things down when it is sitting on CEMENT - just what is everyone planning to use to drive these stakes, ground anchors, screw-in diddly-doos etc INTO THE CONCRETE?

Just curious.....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
OK - now since the original question was how to hold things down when it is sitting on CEMENT - just what is everyone planning to use to drive these stakes, ground anchors, screw-in diddly-doos etc INTO THE CONCRETE?

Just curious.....
My question too,it seems everyone sort of veered off the concrete part of the question?

Has anyone stayed somewhere where there were no picnic tables at the sites?

They are big,heavy,have many spots for attachment and are always there when I am on cement which come to think of it I have never been camping on and used an awning?

Oh and "diddly-doos"?!:
I like that!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #29

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
I found these while browsing the internet...**very cool.***
Stackable cast iron weights for canopies and tents | Eaton Canopy Weights
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #30

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Really cool but also really pricey.
If you secure your awning very tight if will surely pull or rip, give it some slack by also using bundie cords along woth a good secure hold down, so it can flex in the winds.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
WOW, those weight sets are expensive....
Another idea is to shop out the local spring yard sales and buy up no longer used weight sets from wannabe body builders. I have seen 100 lb sets sell for $10. On my carefree awning the base plates can be tipped parallel to slip them through the holes in round weights.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #32

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi All,
If you look at the photo I posted you'll see that the awning foot has holes (one on each side) that I can put spikes through if they are resting on the ground.
I most heartily agree with the posters who say just to take the awing in if the winds are too high! Something I had to do a couple of times during our stay on the cement at Palm Springs.
I did find some vinyl covered free weights on line (so far only US sites), so that would solve the rust problem Donna, and I can just zap strap them to the holes on the awning foot. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of Frederick and Robert's idea because it looks nice.
In the short term, I can zap strap water-filled milk jugs to the feet. Not my "aesthetic" choice, but it will do the job until I can find a more lasting solution.
Thanks to all who have posted ideas, you are a very creative bunch!
Phil
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You can get 2 to 5 gallon buckets, put a leg in the bucket, fill it with water and strap the leg to the bail on the bucket. 5 gallons = about 40 lbs each. A pain to empty, but it works for me on real windy days. Better yet, fill it with ice, add water and your fav canned/bottles beverage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #34

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
after thinking about this,,,,sometimes my brain functions slooooowly...
the easiest thing is two 5 gallon buckets. when not needed they are a trash bucket, and recycle bucket. when needed fill it up with water and tie your awning down. when ready to leave, dump out the water.
plus its another excuse for me to buy orange homer buckets from home depot,,,, my wife thinks i have an orange plastic fetish by now....

oh yeah,,,when your ready to dump them out,,,you will have water handy to put out the campfire,,,,smokey says..."Only you , can prevent forest fires"
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #35

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok from some of these responses,, some folks have never set up something like this. so heres a little how to.

WATCH THE WIND!
best to have a second person, but i can get my easyup, or my awning up alone.
awnings generaly unroll, and you move your legs out a bit at a time till its fully extendedat the base of the legs may be holes. you drive tent peg like spikes threw then to tie them to earth. or as we have been discussing. And here i will use a water bucket for my discription. you place each leg in a 5 gallon pail and fiill them with water. then tie a cord from the top of the pole down to the bail.(wire thingy handle on the bucket)
no generaly , and specialy in any wind, its a good idea to run at least two, guy lines from the outer top corners of your awning to pegs set out about 45 degrees to each side and at least the length of the pole away from each corner,,,the farther the more secure.
anchor the feet and corners of easy ups in simular fashon.
and if it gets windy put it away so you don;t have to replace it.
and thats uncle johns tip for the day.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #36

Uncle John, I need pictures please. I can not see putting the poles in the middle of a bucket and expecting the pole to stay put. Even if tieing the top of the canopy to the bucket, I do think the pole will come out with the wind. Nothing to keep that pole in the bucket as it is just resting there. Everyone, What am I missing???

(and my canopy will go on cement or decking, not in the ground)

Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #37

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
I've been known to use a ramset...

I had a set of 1'x1' 1/4 inch steel plates with a slot cut from one side into the center. The slot was just wide enough for the pole and they would simply sit on the foot.
They were plenty heavy for the job and took up very little storage space.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #38

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I use plates designed to hold down temporary shelters. 20# total. I got mine at the end of the season for half-price. After someone saw mine, they instantly thought of weight plates for weight lifting. probably cheaper! Quik Shade Canopy Leg Weight Set (4) - Toys "R" Us
Apparently the part # has changed. New link:
Quik Shade® Plastic-coated Cement Weight Plates - Toys "R" Us
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Considering there are many different types of awning poles, I thought that if you could take a strip of plywood long enough to fit under one of these collapsable water jugs.

One could notch the wood on one end to accept your guy line and adapt the other end to fit your pole. Easy, spacesaving and lightweight.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #40

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Lightbulb What we ended up with

Here's the umbrella bases we ended up getting from Canadian Tire.

It's not possible to see from the photo but they are made in such a way that I can attach a zap strap through them and secure the awning foot on the top. They are boring beige but I'm going to get some paint that works on vinyl to jazz them up a bit.
Empty they weigh next to nothing, but full of water they do the trick. Of course the awning will be stowed in any real wind, but this is a first-line fix for those unexpected breezes.
Attached Images

Tags
awning