Securing Oxygen windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bonair
Nova Scotia
Securing Oxygen windows

Several weeks ago I found myself going down the interstate and noticed in my rear view mirror the front right side window flapping in the breeze supported only by the bottom hinge .The good news is that nothing was broken. I had noticed a few times that over rough roads the locking mechanism in the hinge has a way of working loose and I have since made sure to check the windows every day we drive. Still, I should have fixed the problem rather than putting it off as losing a window would make for a very bad day. This might help if you are having this issue..
Despite the problem the windows and hardware appear to be good quality. Designed essentially to allow a flat panel of glass to be used in a slightly curved surface..ie a car roof. Hence the use of a very thick rubber seal. The hinges and latch mechanism open to make the glass panel removable a feature not needed in the trailer application and partially responsible for the window coming loose.

The problems with the windows occur where the curvature is more than the window is designed for. To get a proper seal, excess force is needed to close the window which puts the hardware under more stress than it can take. The trapezoidal shape of the front and rear widows was intentional and done to reduce the amount of curvature the window needs to conform to…apparently not enough as the hinge issue seems to affect these windows the most on my Oxygen.

If anyone else has attempted to come up with a fix please post it .. as for mine this is what I did.
I wanted to stay away from modifying the locking mechanism as there is no easy adjustment on any of the hardware other than shimming or cutting back the FG. In my case two of the locking handles are quite a bit more difficult to close and moving the hardware slightly might have solved this. Instead I focused on securing the hinges and tried to come up with something simple yet not look like a diy afterthought.

I made 12 small Lexan tabs (do not use acrylic). These measure 1/8” thick by ¾” long and approx 11/16” wide. The width fits the recess between the raised ends of the mount and I made sure the fit was accurate to make spotting the tap drill and mounting the tab easier. I used a pan head machine screw 8-32 NC X ½”. The tab when mounted overlaps the locking mechanism by about 3/16” which is enough to cover the mechanism when the window is in the open and closed position.
Attached Thumbnails
hinge1.JPG   hinge2.JPG  

hinge3.JPG  
Vann in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Great solution Rob, it will probably help other owners. The Bonair Oxygen is one of my favorite shaped all molded towables.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #3

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
This is the fix that some of us needed for our over-the-sink window. I heard of one owner whose window fell out on the highway. We habitually check the kitchen-window closures before each opening and closing. I look forward to making this alteration.
Rob, what is happening in the third photo above?
Rhea and Kirby Coolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

Nova Scotia
I am using a 8-32 tap to thread into the thickened pad under the hinge. Since making the post I came across a comment on here in which a dealer glued the hinge... however, this is so permanent that it makes it impossible to separate the hinge from the glass without causing damage to the hinge. Btw for the kitchen window you need a small T handled tap handle to turn the tap or alternatively find a way to extend the tap so it can be turned from the front of the cupboard.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
I had been trying to figure a way of inserting a removable pin, but couldn't. Glue is not a good choice.
Thank you for the tip on tapping the kitchen window hinges. I'll be better prepared. Thank you for sharing, Rob.
Rhea and Kirby Coolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

Name: Antonius
Trailer: in the market
Quebec
Pins for windows...

Hi Vann,

I found one last monday, a grey 2002! Pure luck, my wife saw an ad posted since less than 24 hours and we jumped on it, it was not cheap but a quick deal was done with the seller. Unit is in really nice shape, not much wear.
I am having the brakes and tires changed at a trailer shop in his area before I pick it next week-end. I was worried about the windows and the seller told me he fixed this issue with pins. I will post pics soon. First upgrade I will do is to add a shower. I think you have been successful doing this. Hope you don't mind if I contact you in the coming weeks. Will also check the power converter and all the propane appliances... Can't wait to go in the northern boreal forest.

Cheers from Montreal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann in NS View Post
I am using a 8-32 tap to thread into the thickened pad under the hinge. Since making the post I came across a comment on here in which a dealer glued the hinge... however, this is so permanent that it makes it impossible to separate the hinge from the glass without causing damage to the hinge. Btw for the kitchen window you need a small T handled tap handle to turn the tap or alternatively find a way to extend the tap so it can be turned from the front of the cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
027.jpg   056.jpg  

083.jpg   087.jpg  

antonius R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Bonair Oxygen
Window Hinge Altered with Great Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann in NS View Post
Thank you, Rob, for your idea and then for sharing it. We did each of our windows this June. It didn't take long as we had everything lined up before we began. Your suggestions were spot on. We travelled with no worries about the windows for the first time in the 13 sesons we have owned our Oxygen, "Eggbert"
Thank you, Rob.
- Kirby
Kirby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Name: Grant
Alberta
This has been the most helpful fix to date. We too have been plagued with window issues. What a pain to be constantly checking these during transport. I've been using gorilla tape to "attempt" to keep the hinge from releasing.
This will be the first thing I do next spring in preparation for the camping season.
With great thanks Rob!
Grant in Alberta.
Oliver the place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver the place View Post
This has been the most helpful fix to date. We too have been plagued with window issues. What a pain to be constantly checking these during transport. I've been using gorilla tape to "attempt" to keep the hinge from releasing.
This will be the first thing I do next spring in preparation for the camping season.
With great thanks Rob!
Grant in Alberta.
================================================
No problem.. the window issue can be a real bummer because replacing the window means going acrylic or lexan..both of these are not as good as the original glass.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby C View Post
Thank you, Rob, for your idea and then for sharing it. We did each of our windows this June. It didn't take long as we had everything lined up before we began. Your suggestions were spot on. We travelled with no worries about the windows for the first time in the 13 sesons we have owned our Oxygen, "Eggbert"
Thank you, Rob.
- Kirby
Sorry for not responding earlier.. I'm glad it worked out.

Tags
oxygen, windows