Securing Reflectix to windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Securing Reflectix to windows

Perhaps someone has come up with a solution to this problem:

I want to secure Reflectix to the inside of my Scamp windows for keeping heat out in summer and cold out in winter. I want to be able to cut it to the shape of the window and fasten it to the window frames and not have a lot of 'extra'. (I can already secure it with lots of overlap and securing it to the rat fur.)

I tried adhesive magnets - they 'melted' off both the Reflectix and the window frame in the sun and the strength of the magnets was so weak that it barely held even when the magnets stayed in place!

I tried adhesive velcro - they seem to stay on the window frame but pull off the Reflectix when you try to take down the Reflectix.

Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #2

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Velcro has been working for me, at least how I have used it. It's not the most elegant. And in very high heat the adhesives have melted in places.

Eventually I plan to put some nice cloth, perhaps matched the curtains, on the back of the reflectix and a cloth border/edge or at least tabs on there with snaps, and them put snaps on the sides of the frames. Ideally I'd like to insulate the frames too. Being aluminum they get VERY cold in deep cold weather and moisture then condenses on them. Aluminium is a great heat/cold conductor.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Velcro works for me. At least it has the few times I've used it in the last 18 months.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
I tried adhesive velcro - they seem to stay on the window frame but pull off the Reflectix when you try to take down the Reflectix.
I have found with various projects that some brands of Velcro don't have great adhesive. You could try sewing the velcro onto the Reflectix or using Crazy glue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks for the input - maybe I'll try the CrazyGlue route....
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Get a can of Spray77 or other contact cement in a rattle can. Mask off the Reflectix so you have about a 3/4 to 1" swath which you will spray and to which you will apply the infamous hook or the notorious pile. DO NOT spray the self-adhesive Velcro; it will stick just fine to the spray stickum. Trouble with sticking Velcro on your nice anodized window frames is that the adhesive may become brittle in time and will be a PITA to get off. Can you apply the Velcro to the window glass or would that look bad when the shiny bubble wrap is removed? You can get Vecro "dots" as well as roll Velcro; the dots (if you use black) should almost disappear if you have the type of "privacy" glass which is so reflective it's nearly opaque from the outside.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Registry
I'm afraid that putting the velcro on the glass would really look bad - there is no reflective coating on our glass so we would have these black strips showing. The velcro seems to stay on the window frame - it is the Reflectix that it doesn't stay stuck to.
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
I'm afraid that putting the velcro on the glass would really look bad - there is no reflective coating on our glass so we would have these black strips showing. The velcro seems to stay on the window frame - it is the Reflectix that it doesn't stay stuck to.
Thanks.
I put black Velco brand on the frames, the fuzzy side on the frame. I put (also Velco brand) white hooky side on the reflectix. In high heat they kind of slide, don't stay in the same place. But I think the aluminum frames are getting so hot and moving. I think the stuff on my Reflectix is sticking.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

Registry
I tried the Velcro fasteners both ways - fuzzy vs hooky on both the window frames and the Reflectix. So far it is the Reflectix where they don't hold no matter which part of the velcro is there...but in this heat on the sunny side of the trailer I think the window frame velcro will want to come off too.

I know someone posted once that they used the magnets and had good luck but it must have been a different brand/type of magnets than I used.

Try to stay cool out there!!
Fran
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
I tried the Velcro fasteners both ways - fuzzy vs hooky on both the window frames and the Reflectix. So far it is the Reflectix where they don't hold no matter which part of the velcro is there...but in this heat on the sunny side of the trailer I think the window frame velcro will want to come off too.

I know someone posted once that they used the magnets and had good luck but it must have been a different brand/type of magnets than I used.

Try to stay cool out there!!
Fran
Try Velco brand, and perhaps try a some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to clean the spot on the reflectix before putting the velco down. My velcro sticks to my reflectix very, very securely. It's basically impossible to remove unless it's very hot without stretching or ripping the reflectix. Not sure why your results are different than mine.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Staple the sticky velcro to the Reflectix???
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #12

Registry
Hmmm - I'll check the brand and try the alcohol cleansing first.
Thanks!
PS - If it's any consolation it is beastly hot up here inthe East Mountains today too!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #13

Registry
Ok - I removed the old 'velcro' which wasn't actually velcro brand - I think it was 3M. I put on Velcro brand dots and after about a week of hot weather they seem to be staying on both the frames and the Reflectix.
So far, so good!
Thanks!
Fran
Old 07-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #14

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
when ever I use velcro I buy the sticky kind so that I can hold it in place while I "sew" it to the fabric. Yes,you can sew Reflectix.(I have done so on the machine & by hand)We put some(velcro) on some metal chairs once and used hot glue to besure it stayed in place. Anytime you are going to stick something (that is self stick backing)you should Aways clean the spot you plan to stick it with alcohol( rubbing alcohol works real good & most of the time it is in your medican cabnet) the only time you would not need to clean the spot first is if you are useing it on cloth.Since Reflectix is not cloth then by almeans clean it first.

Happy camping and Hope you have your problem sloved by now....I used Reflectix to make covers for my roof vents & sky lights cleaned the Reflectix with rubbing alcohol ,stuck it down where I wanted it then sewed it in to be sure it stayed.On the frame of the vents & sky lights cleand first & just stuck it in place. Still works good after 2 years.

Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #15

Registry
Thanks! If mine starts to move around I'll try your trick of sewing the velcro to the Reflectix! I'll be checking it in the heat of the day today!
Fran
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 72 boler
New York
If you don't have tinted windows I would definately get them tinted or do it yourself shouldn't cost you more than $100 and would cut down on the heat alot
Davidmulvaney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows