Security - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Security

We have a bigfoot 25RQ that we need some theft prevention for. Friend of mine gave me some square chain with locks that are bolt cutter proof but it won't fit through the holes in the camper rims, it will fit my equipment trailer so I will use it there.

What are some items everyone has used, liked and maybe actually worked. All input is appreciated.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
We have a bigfoot 25RQ that we need some theft prevention for. Friend of mine gave me some square chain with locks that are bolt cutter proof but it won't fit through the holes in the camper rims, it will fit my equipment trailer so I will use it there.

What are some items everyone has used, liked and maybe actually worked. All input is appreciated.
This is a good topic. I am getting my 25RT in a few months and I am concerned with security like you are. It is a good idea to remove or lockup your safety chains.

I am also thinking of a GPS locator.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Most thefts are based on opportunity more than anything else. Whatever you can do to deter or slow down their ability to get "in-and-out" quickly will often dissuade them from even trying, (i.e. they'll look for an easier target that offers less risk of getting caught.) Simple things like taking the safety chains on the tongue and wrapping them around the A frame and then padlocking the ends together, running a chain or cable through the wheel cut-outs and over the axle behind the frame, buying a hitch ball lock, etc, all go a long way to make them think about moving on to an easier target. But all that does is makes it harder, it doesn't stop somebody who is dead set on taking it, as they'll find one of several ways. Your best protection, and peace of mind, is a good insurance policy.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The one thing I did after a break-in was put round wood rod as window blocks to prevent the windows from being pried from outside. The locks are really easy to get past on windows. This is how someone got into my trailer once. The only good thing was I carry insurance year round and they actually found the guy that broke in a month later in a raid for stolen goods. Crack Heads !!
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
A simple piece of wooden dowel, as mentioned above, is great for sliding glass doors or windows, and you can also pick up a handful of these screw clamps that you can install on the edge of the window track metal if you don't want to carry around a bunch of dowel rods. Just another of several alternatives. And they also work well to insure that the trailer's rear window, (a common problem in many trailers,) stays shut while in transit, especially on dusty roads.

https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-Windo...4615696&sr=8-2
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

Mississippi
proven industries

I have a private message recommending Proven industries coupler lock. It looks good in the videos, anyone use one?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Tracking a stolen RV

[QUOTE=snuffy2;761424]We have a bigfoot 25RQ that we need some theft prevention for.

I wrap the cut proof chain around the frame, and it is hidden from sight, I hope to have a rear bumper and plate from anyone that tries to steal it.
But any small RV is easily stolen no matter what devices are used. SO, I have a good insurance policy AND a TRAK-4 tracker. I will enjoy both the hunt and the recovery if mine is ever stolen. The trak-4 emails and texts me when I leave home and return home and will continue to report for as much as a year after the power is cut. It cost about $100/year for the service and the device was about $50 last year.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Mississippi
trac

Do you have a link for this service or contact for this service.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #9

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
https://trak-4.com/

Quote:
Do you have a link for this service or contact for this service.
The new units have no markings on them so that if found it is not obvious what they are. Mine is hidden in the wall so that it can’t be found. Also, they come in 12 volt and USB charge. My first one was purchased on Amazon and did not work well; the replacement came directly from Trak-4 and works great. And BTW I know some use TILES, but they are not trackers.
https://trak-4.com/
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Hitch padlock and good insurance - Has worked well for over ten years
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Most thefts are based on opportunity more than anything else. Whatever you can do to deter or slow down their ability to get "in-and-out" quickly will often dissuade them from even trying, (i.e. they'll look for an easier target that offers less risk of getting caught.) Simple things like taking the safety chains on the tongue and wrapping them around the A frame and then padlocking the ends together, running a chain or cable through the wheel cut-outs and over the axle behind the frame, buying a hitch ball lock, etc, all go a long way to make them think about moving on to an easier target. But all that does is makes it harder, it doesn't stop somebody who is dead set on taking it, as they'll find one of several ways. Your best protection, and peace of mind, is a good insurance policy.
I respectfully disagree. When insurance pays off, you may be financially compensated but you are obviously violated and inconvenienced by having to procure a replacement trailer which may require hours of modifications to duplicate what you had in the first place. And the thief/thieves are still out there free to do the same to another trailer owner. A well hidden GPS tracking device, however, will alert you as soon as the trailer is moved, and will allow the police to quickly catch the culprits, hopefully leading to a lengthy vacation for him/them in the big house, maybe made even better if “Bubba” takes a love interest in his new cell mate. Kharma is a 3i+(# as they say. And the lowlife will not be around to steal from others.
Insurance is necessary, it will pay for damage or total destruction. But the sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing that the SOB who harmed you is getting his due is the compensation for your aggravation.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I respectfully disagree. When insurance pays off, you may be financially compensated but you are obviously violated and inconvenienced by having to procure a replacement trailer which may require hours of modifications to duplicate what you had in the first place. ...
So true. If insurance would help prevent theft, loss of deductible, and loss of hundreds of man hours, then I would put a big sign on the camper, "ATTENTION PROSPECTIVE THIEVES - THIS CAMPER IS INSURED!

But alas that would actually have the opposite effect. Knowing the the rightful owner would suffer no more than minor monitory loss, a thief would be even more likely to target the insured camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Security

Minor? In most cases involving used molded trailers, the actual loss exceeds the deductible significantly even before you consider labor and mods. NADA, used by insurers to determine the depreciated market value, significantly undervalues molded trailers. While you may be able to negotiate a higher settlement using comps, it is unlikely to be enough to replace the trailer with an equivalent unit.

If you can find one. Loss of use while you search can easily stretch into months.

In my opinion it makes sense to invest in security measures. How far to go with that depends on how and where you store your trailer, as well as how much financial loss you are able and willing to absorb.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Minor? In most cases involving used molded trailers, the actual loss exceeds the deductible significantly even before you consider labor and mods.....
I was thinking like the fictional thief who would "know" that the owner was covered by insurance so would suffer only minor loss (of his deductible).

Of course it depends on your coverage (and negotiating skill ). But you can get full replacement coverage if you are concerned about the insurance company undervaluing your total loss (partial losses are different). This is from Progressive's website (bolding is mine):

Total loss replacement:

If your RV is totaled in a covered accident, we'll pay for a brand new motorhome or travel trailer, minus your deductible.

For instance, if you paid $50,000 for your RV three years ago, it may only be worth $30,000 today. But Progressive could pay you $55,000 on your claim, minus your deductible, as we guarantee the same model year or later. You can also choose not to replace your damaged vehicle and instead get reimbursed for the original purchase price.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Full replacement coverage is only offered on new and near-new RV's. It's a fairly expensive gamble you will have a total loss within the first few years of ownership.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Full replacement coverage is only offered on new and near-new RV's. It's a fairly expensive gamble you will have a total loss within the first few years of ownership.

I'd heard that, but my trailer is now eleven years old and I still have full replacement insurance. Of course I'm with the same company since the trailer was new.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Security

I’m sure they’ll keep taking your premium. Of course I hope you never have cause to use your coverage, but I am curious how it would work if you experienced a total loss now.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Quote:

Find someone with a locked and alarmed garage or....a reputable and "on site" staff maintained storage facility. In either case if available, covered storage will keep your trailer from the elements and give you piece of mind.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
I just worked up the final plans of my of my 36 X 60 foot Morton building. It will have a bay for the 25RT Bigfoot when I am home in Mass summertime. I will be kind of full timing with the trailer but when I am home I will be able to spread out a bit.

I will need to take necessary precautions when I am on the road though.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #20

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
When I am sitting still unhitched I use a hitch lock. When I am traveling and stop at a Walmart or other places for an overnight rest, my ball mount is locked in the receiver, I have a lock on the hitch release and I lock the safety chains to the receiver. I remove the lock on the safety chains when I am traveling. In campgrounds, I always make sure to be friendly with the neighbors since that can help as well. My trailer is stored in a locked garage and I know the neighbors.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot