security locking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
security locking

I'm concerned about leaving our 16' scamp unattended at National Park campgrounds while we go site seeing. What can be done to secure the trailer against theft.................someone hooking up and driving away with our unit. We use the usual locking clamp on the trailer hitch lever. Wheel locks? Not that I ever expect this could really happen...............but you just never know. So any ideas out there?

Tim
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. You might find what you are looking for here. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-60181.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Just lock your hitch and put a cable lock through your rim and around the axle. Just might slow them down. If they really want they will get it.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would be more concerned about them stealing the contents of your trailer . Scamp doors are easy to remove.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Any body know how many trailers have been stolen while parked in a National Park?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by swenny View Post
I'm concerned about leaving our 16' scamp unattended at National Park campgrounds while we go site seeing. What can be done to secure the trailer against theft.................someone hooking up and driving away with our unit. We use the usual locking clamp on the trailer hitch lever. Wheel locks? Not that I ever expect this could really happen...............but you just never know. So any ideas out there?

Tim
==========================

ALERT: This rant is very opinionated.... proceed at you own risk and peril.....
======================================
"but you just never know", is my s.o.'s favorite tag line for just about anything.

Me.... I refuse to live in fear of the "but you just never know" threat and prefer to enjoy life with whatever odds might be out there.

I am sure that the number of RV's stolen from campsites is by far eclipsed by break-ins, and I refuse to let that possibility bother my RV enjoyment either.

That said, I'm no fool, and I do put a good lock on my coupler and have installed a well hidden and sturdy safe in all my RV's for valuables.

In as much as those precautions reduce at least a 10,000 to one chance by a factor of another 100 times, I use the "but you just never know" factor only when buying lottery tickets.

Don't give the bad guys free rent space in your mind..... It's really just another form of terrorism.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In 13 years and almost 3000 nights in all kinds of camping locations we have not had a single problem.

Of course bad things happen but really there's not much you can do to stop a determined thief.

Our experience is that campgrounds are safe.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Insure the trailer. You already lock it up so thats good, you do know someone could always hook your tow chains together and throw it over the trailer ball and drive away, so lock them so they cant do that. I only worry about what may happen to me while camping not about my stuff. I dont leave out $2000 Bicycles and $300 ice chests and BBQ's to attract the animals you find out in nature. The one good thing about camping is they never know when your comming back so most issues will be the grab and run types of stuff you left out. Its not like home where you leave at 7 every day and return at 6 and for 11 hours in a day your house is empty day after day inviting trouble. I think your trailer is in a bigger risk in your driveway than in a camp ground.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In also supporting what Steve said, I can add that I think an even bigger risk than your driveway is at a storage lot, where the bad guys can have all the time they need to plan and execute a theft, and you won't even know about the theft for days to months after the fact.

Although the storage peeps aren't talking, I have heard of more RV thefts from them, than from residences.

My own Mustang Convert was stolen from a locked garage at a storage facility, albeit with some inside help.

With all said, the campground is probably the safest place for your RV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I read through the other thread on theft prevention just posted not too long ago. Somehow I missed that one.

Probably getting to know my camping neighbors is more effective than anything else letting them know where we plan to go for the day and to keep an eye on our rig.

Locking my wheel with a J type bar to the axle isn't possible with the brake in the way.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I use these

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And have been pretty happy with them.
They are not quiet to put on or take off even with the key so I think to break them off will attract some attention and thus a bad guy might just move on instead.

I also lock the coupler and the chains and the axle to something depending on my level of paranoia dejour!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote