Seeking a Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17 B, Tow Vehicle - 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L Honda Pilot
Massachusetts
Question Seeking a Tow Vehicle

Hello, new to this forum as my wife and I decided to go full time beginning fall 2020. So I've been seeking pre-owned RVs.

I have an opportunity to purchase. I don't have a tow vehicle for another 2 months or so. Seeking a rental a vehicle with 5000lb tow, 500lb tongue. I know this is a long shot.

Enterprise and Uhaul trucks have 4 pin connectors and aren't an option.

I've thought about hiring a company to tow the trailer to me, but we need to see it first given the cost.

Round trip would be 2200 miles.

I've literally got the cart in front of the horse here.
JAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdams View Post
Hello, new to this forum as my wife and I decided to go full time beginning fall 2020. So I've been seeking pre-owned RVs.

I have an opportunity to purchase. I don't have a tow vehicle for another 2 months or so. Seeking a rental a vehicle with 5000lb tow, 500lb tongue. I know this is a long shot.

I've thought about hiring a company to tow the trailer to me, but we need to see it first given the cost.

Make a trip to see the trailer before you hire someone to tow it. Make sure it is what you want. Then see if the seller can help you find someone or maybe put it into a storage lot for 2 months, get your tow vehicle and go pick it up. The rental lot won't be as much as hiring it towed to you. Unfortunately most rental vehicles don't have the brake controller and that is what you need most. I know a lot of GMC Yukon rental vehicles have the 7 pin connector and are prewired for the controller but they do not have them since they are rentals not used for towing. We bought one and it does great with the trailer. We added in the controller. You may have to hire someone to tow it to you but that is risky as they won't treat it like you would and will be very expensive.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Make a trip to see the trailer before you hire someone to tow it. Make sure it is what you want. Then see if the seller can help you find someone or maybe put it into a storage lot for 2 months, get your tow vehicle and go pick it up. The rental lot won't be as much as hiring it towed to you. Unfortunately most rental vehicles don't have the brake controller and that is what you need most. I know a lot of GMC Yukon rental vehicles have the 7 pin connector and are pre-wired for the controller but they do not have them since they are rentals not used for towing. We bought one and it does great with the trailer. We added in the controller. You may have to hire someone to tow it to you but that is risky as they won't treat it like you would and will be very expensive.
I would assume that you don't like the first trailer that you and your partner look at. I went to see quite a distance (in opposite directions) to look at my "perfect" trailer and found that I did not like either one since they had short-comings that I did not want to deal with. The second one I bought and stayed in overnight after having it hooked up to my vehicle and still found a major flaw that I had not noticed or been told about. I always tried to make a small vacation out of it and a "learning" experience. You are in a much better bargaining situation if you can "walk away". You can always spend a nice night in a nearby motel and change your mind the next day, the owner will still take your money.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Rental trucks

[QUOTE=JAdams;760629]Seeking a rental a vehicle with 5000lb tow, 500lb tongue. I know this is a long shot.

I searched "Massachusetts f150 rental" and had a few hits but none jumped out at me. I've heard that delivery runs about $1/mile. Wish I was closer, I'm always up for a road trip (but not east coast) Our local building centers do rentals.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:

Check where the closest Enterprise Truck rental is to you:

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US.html

They have 2 ton pickup trucks that are set up to tow. You get a certain number of free miles per day. Not sure how close an office is to where you are but you can check.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Cheaper is to buy a trailer near where you need it.
They are all over and if patient you can find one you like over the off season and maybe save some money on the purchase and moving.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
They are all over and if patient you can find one you like over the off season and maybe save some money on the purchase and moving.

I agree with this, there are plenty of trailers it just takes time for one to pop up in your neck of the woods. No need in massive travel.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #8

Name: Adam
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Quote:

You may need to borrow a vehicle from a friend. We also bought our trailer before buying a tow vehicle. The previous owner was kind enough to tow it to our home.

For a while, we were considering just using rental vehicles to tow the trailer on weekend trips to avoid the cost of a new, larger vehicle, but most rental companies informed us that they would not allow their vehicles to be used for towing. This included Uhaul, oddly enough.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokra View Post
I would assume that you don't like the first trailer that you and your partner look at. I went to see quite a distance (in opposite directions) to look at my "perfect" trailer and found that I did not like either one since they had short-comings that I did not want to deal with. The second one I bought and stayed in overnight after having it hooked up to my vehicle and still found a major flaw that I had not noticed or been told about. I always tried to make a small vacation out of it and a "learning" experience. You are in a much better bargaining situation if you can "walk away". You can always spend a nice night in a nearby motel and change your mind the next day, the owner will still take your money.
Wise advice, thank you.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Good advice, thank you. We have some time so I'm practicing patience.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
You may need to borrow a vehicle from a friend. We also bought our trailer before buying a tow vehicle. The previous owner was kind enough to tow it to our home.

For a while, we were considering just using rental vehicles to tow the trailer on weekend trips to avoid the cost of a new, larger vehicle, but most rental companies informed us that they would not allow their vehicles to be used for towing. This included Uhaul, oddly enough.
I agree, I've struck out with Metro Boston Uhaul and Enterprise. I was specifically informed their vehicles were for light trailers with 4 pin connectors and no trailer brakes. Modifications aren't allowed. From what folks have posted here this appears to be a regional franchise difference.

Good news, my cousin in northern New York has a lot of experience towing his large boat trailers is able to assist us if we locate an RV prior to buying a new tow vehicle.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaMiner View Post
I agree with this, there are plenty of trailers it just takes time for one to pop up in your neck of the woods. No need in massive travel.
I beg to differ with you two. One of you is in Florida and the other California. Those are both RV Meccas. Both areas have Bigfoot dealers. Not so much in New England.

I went to your sightings thread which has 196 pages. I searched for Massachusetts, Mass, and MA and I only got 12 hits. Your methods may not work around here.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote