Seeking AC advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Seeking AC advice

I'm planning to install an air conditioner in an '85 Companion 13 and am considering a roof mounted unit. The trailer is basically a U-Haul with a single hull design. (From what I've been able to discover, the Companions were probably built by a company that bought U-Haul molds from Rec-Vee when U-haul discontinued their production.)

My question is - will the roof support the weight of a top mounted AC? Is structural reinforcement advisable?

I'm also open to a conventional residential window unit, but they can take up a lot of interior space and I'm somewhat opposed to the aesthetics of mounting one in a window.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
The trailer is basically a U-Haul with a single hull design.

My question is - will the roof support the weight of a top mounted AC? Is structural reinforcement advisable?
I have seen roof mount AC units on Burros and U-Hauls that are double shell without problems, but a single hull needs reinforcement. My single hull Fiber Stream has 4 molded in "rafters"; corrugations molded in that are closed on the inside to create tubes to strengthen the roof just for a roof mount AC.

I chose a window unit anyway because the economics trumped the aesthetics, and I wanted to keep the Fantastic-Fan.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0051.jpg   000_0052.jpg  

Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Frederick, thank you for your thoughts on this issue - it confirms what i suspected. You are right about the value of window ACs vesus RV roof top ones.
Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote