Seeking advice re: 19 ft. Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Class C Trailblazer Motorhome
Exclamation

Hi,

I am new to this site and would like some advice.

We currently own a 24 ft. Trailblazer Class C. Would like to downsize/simplify to a Scamp 19 ft. Fifth Wheel.

Is the Scamp going to be considerably easier to "drive" and park? I know mileage will be better as we now get between 6 and 8 mpg..

Also, will a Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl. pull it with ease and will any modifications be needed on the truck? Where can we get the specialized hitch needed for Scamp Fifth Wheel?

Finally - - - does anyone have a Scamp for sale or know of a dealer in northern lower Michigan. We have never even seen one "in person" and would like to do so before buying. We are located between Traverse City and Grand Rapids. I have tried searching internet, but have come up empty.

Please help if you can. Thank you,
Bonnie
Bonnie Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Bonnie: Scamp sells factory-direct without dealers. They are in Backus, Minnesota. www.scamptrailers.com
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bonnie, DonInChatt is correct, no dealers. But, if you contact Scamp directly, they may be able to give you a contact for someone in your area that has one...then at least you could go look.

As far as buying used....you'll need to check ALL the classifieds and resources available to you...frequently. Molded lightweight fiberglass trailers of any size or brand sell quickly. And remember, cash TALKS. I would also suggestion you print out the Buyers Check list found: HERE and take it with you when you evaluate a trailer.

Good luck, and oh by the way...Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #4

Exclamation

Quote:
Bonnie: Scamp sells factory-direct without dealers. They are in Backus, Minnesota. www.scamptrailers.com

Thanks
Bon
Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Bonnie, DonInChatt is correct, no dealers. But, if you contact Scamp directly, they may be able to give you a contact for someone in your area that has one...then at least you could go look.

As far as buying used....you'll need to check ALL the classifieds and resources available to you...frequently. Molded lightweight fiberglass trailers of any size or brand sell quickly. And remember, cash TALKS. I would also suggestion you print out the Buyers Check list found: HERE and take it with you when you evaluate a trailer.

Good luck, and oh by the way...Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Donna,

Thanks for the welcome.

Bon
Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't have a Scamp (19' or otherwise), but I've been interested in this setup...

Quote:
...Where can we get the specialized hitch needed for Scamp Fifth Wheel?...
The hitch is unique, because they use a 2" ball (versus the usual 2-5/16"). Scamp sells a hitch directly, and other members here have reported that is what they use.

Some relevant discussions from this forum:Because the hitch is unlikely to be used for anything other than a Scamp 19', at least one of these trailers has been sold (used) complete with the hitch - there might be no need to shop for one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bonnie, one of the really cool things that Scamp owners do for prospective owners is to volunteer to allow folks to come and look at their trailer if they're nearby. A database of owners is maintained by the Scamp factory, and a call to them might find you a Scamp 19' nearby that you can see in person.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Is the Scamp going to be considerably easier to "drive" and park? I know mileage will be better as we now get between 6 and 8 mpg..

Also, will a Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl. pull it with ease and will any modifications be needed on the truck? Where can we get the specialized hitch needed for Scamp Fifth Wheel?

Finally - - - does anyone have a Scamp for sale or know of a dealer in northern lower Michigan. We have never even seen one "in person" and would like to do so before buying. We are located between Traverse City and Grand Rapids. I have tried searching internet, but have come up empty.

Bonnie
I bought a used Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 Automatic to pull my 19' Scamp 5th Wheel. Except for the big white thing hanging out in my rear-view, towing the Scamp on a level road is almost like driving the Ranger alone. You just have to allow for extra space to merge and turn. Gas mileage without the trailer is about 20, with about 15 mpg highway. The guy I bought the trailer from had a Tacoma V6 and said the same thing

The hitch was part of the deal. Part of my downpayment arrangement was to have the hitch shipped to me so my local RV place could install it in my trailer along with a brake controller.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One 'Gotcha' on the Scamp 5W is the height of the sides of the pickup bed -- Full sized pickups in 4x4 with large tires may require a spacer welded between the axle and frame or may not even be towable with spacer -- Check with Scamp for the limitations.

There are at least two models of the Scamp 5W, side bath and front bath.

Buddy, on Yahoo Scampers, has a used Scamp 5W for sale in Eastern Tennessee that he has gone thru and refurbished, including replacing all the rivets and screws (It's the Deluxe model with the real wood cabinets and they are fastened with wood screws, not rivets) -- He's a fussy guy, so I'd expect that rig to be in very good shape.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bonnie:

We have a Scamp5th and paid $11,000 2 years ago for a used 2002. It is in great shape and has the front bath. The front bath makes the upstairs very private as there is a wall there. The front bath is the deluxe which means it has wood cabinets and even though that looks good, it adds allot of weight and Scamp Skimped on the glue assembling these cabinets and I have had to remove and re-glue several doors.

As far as the hitch: It is home made at the factory and any reputable welding company could make you one for your pick-up. It bolts to the bed (4 bolts) and to the wheel well (4 bolts) on each side with a really heavy steel bar going between the 2 outside bolted braces where the 2 inch ball is bolted in the center. We pull ours with a 6 cyl Chevy S10 (2003 Automatic).

The 5th weighs in at less than 3,500 totally loaded and I mean totally because we take everything and bring home even more.

I think the Scamps are good units and you will be satisfied.

The selling price for used units seam to go up instead of down. Search the internet and be sure to look at www.nada.com even though the “Experts” say nada don’t know squat. Not knowing squat will give you some figure to start with and may be a good negotiating tool should you find a used one.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
The front bath makes the upstairs very private as there is a wall there. The front bath is the deluxe which means it has wood cabinets.
From what I understand A/C and heat need some help to get to the bed area with this arrangement.

The all wood interior is what makes it a deluxe, [b]not the placement of the bathroom.

And I suffer from 5th wheel envy.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #12

Donna,

It is my understanding that all deluxe models have the wood and the front bath. In the past I do not think that the wood interior came with the side bath.

If you have a side bath, you also have a couch up front.

Yes: There is an air cooling situation with the upstairs but not a heat because heat rises and cool air remains low so it is best to have some sort of fan to move the cool air up. We clip one to the cook top and it forces the cold air up. As far as heat, you can regulate the amount of heat by just adjusting the thermostat to a much lower temp.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/indexa015.html?PageID=30

Should show floor plan for the regular and deluxe models. Deluxe has a front bath.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bonnie,

I can tow my 1986 Scamp 5th wheel with ease behind our Ranger / Mazda 2001 PU. It is white, so we are all Egg. I found it 250 miles away and across a Mountain Pass last fall. Due to a wireing mistake on the trailer jack by the previous owner , I had no brakes on the trip back. Rain, wind, heavy traffic, no problems even without the brakes, not that I would recomend that, but it was that stable. The hitch came with the trailer. The previous owner had passed away, but his relative and I switched it over in about 4 hours. It took us that long because we decided to anchor it to the frame rather than just the bed. My milage on I 90 Hwy 18 and I 5 etc was 17 mpg.

Lots of room inside for two people and their dogs to go camping in the winter on the Pacific Coast. If and when we get grandkids, there is room for four of them.

I see the Scamp factory is back in operation. Pay a visit.

Jim

Quote:
Hi,

I am new to this site and would like some advice.

We currently own a 24 ft. Trailblazer Class C. Would like to downsize/simplify to a Scamp 19 ft. Fifth Wheel.

Bonnie
Jim Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Donna,

It is my understanding that all deluxe models have the wood and the front bath. In the past I do not think that the wood interior came with the side bath.

If you have a side bath, you also have a couch up front.
prior to the hack, we had pictures of a 5th wheel Scamp Deluxe with the bathroom all the way across the BACK of the trailer....it came from the factory that way. I have a 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe with sidebath. All the wood cabinets in my Scamp, are Maple. But, yes I do have the front goucho...or I should say...did. I've changed that over to all storage and a bunk.

But, I'll concede Scamp may have changed to only building the deluxe with front bath NOW. If that's the case, that's too bad. The draw of ordering a deluxe was having the interior placement exactly the way a person wanted it, which isn't possible when having fiberglass cabinets.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #15

Trailer: 1999 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2003 Toyota Tacoma
I use a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab to pull our 5th Wheel. It works quite well. I get 19 to 21 MPG with the truck alone, and 15 to 18 MPG with the Scamp behind. I think it is an excellent combination.
Dennis U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #16

Donna,

If I were a betting person, I would bet that you could special order it in the configuration U wanted. My Assumption was based on their picture on the web site.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #17

Exclamation

Quote:
I use a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab to pull our 5th Wheel. It works quite well. I get 19 to 21 MPG with the truck alone, and 15 to 18 MPG with the Scamp behind. I think it is an excellent combination.
Dennis,
Thanks for info. Do you have deluxe with "front bath"? If so, is the "bedroom" claustrophobic? The stair width in the picture looks quite narrow.

Also, what kind of mattress comes with the unit? We want an egg but are not exactly spring chickens.

If we need to get a different mattress, will it fit up the stairs?

Bon
Old 01-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bonnie,

We picked up a full size Novafoam mattress topper to go over the stock cushions from Costco. The box it comes in is fairly compact. You can just take it out of the box and let it roll itself out. It is a coupon special through this Sunday. They are quite comfortable.

Jim

Quote:
Dennis,
Thanks for info. Do you have deluxe with "front bath"? If so, is the "bedroom" claustrophobic? The stair width in the picture looks quite narrow.

Also, what kind of mattress comes with the unit? We want an egg but are not exactly spring chickens.

If we need to get a different mattress, will it fit up the stairs?

Bon
Jim Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 1999 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Our 5th Wheel is the standard model with side bath. I am sorry, but I can not answer your questions related to the front bath model.

I do have a comment about towing with a Tacoma. My 2003 truck has a metal pickup box. The Scamp hitch mounts by bolting to the floor and wheel wells of the box. It seems to work well. 2005 and newer Tacomas have boxes constructed of a composite (plastic) material. I have not seen a Scamp hitch mounted in the newer units, but I am certain that some additional fabrication would be required to tie the hitch directly to the truck frame. This should not be a problem for a welding shop with some knowledge of engineering and fabrication, but the installation is not as straight forward as it is in other trucks.
Dennis U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #20

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
We pull a Bigfoot 20' 5er with a 2004 Toyota 6 cyl x-cab. We have the factory tow package
and it rates us to pull 6,000lbs. We've not had any trouble with this configuration except that we found a slider hitch to be much better for us than a fixed hitch.

With a fixed hitch I have hit the corner of my truck a couple of times while backing and turning into my driveway at home. After getting a slider hitch and being able to move the hitch further back has solved that problem. Now I can jacknife my rig and still not damage the truck.

The hitch is bolted through the bed and to the frame underneath.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp