Self Leveling Wheel Chocks - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #41

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I bought a 2x8x8 foot long and drew it as best as I could on the 2x8 and cut it out with my band saw and cut 3 more just like it out of the same board. I glued all four pieces together and then ran a couple pieces of all-thread through them for reinforcement. I already had all the materials except the wood so I got it made for about 10 bucks.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #42

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Loved my BAL Leveler for the year and a half that it worked. The threads stripped out on a trip last month and I think I was fortunate to get the camper lowered without having to employ a jack under the frame. Due to back problems, I had been using an 18v impact driver, rather than the provided hand ratchet, to raise and lower the BAL. I now understand that was a bad thing as, apparently, the relatively soft steel in the BAL jack screw and trunion won't hold up to the high RPMs of the impact driver regardless of how much grease is applied to the threads. I have a friend who is a retired welder and superb metalsmith working on a fix. If he comes up with anything that proves to be a long term solution I'll take photos and post the result. Until then, I'm getting by with a stack of 1 x 6 pressure treated deck boards.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #43

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
bal "cover"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
One more vote for the Bal leveler! Quick and easy. BTW, I tried the insulated pizza bag to transport it. I never really found a proper fit. I use a padded zippered garment bag I got at GW. Easy in easy out and when folded in half its a perfect fit! It even has a exterior zippered pocket for the ratchet.
Having started with a set of wood blocks, I've made the switch to the Bal and am also a big fan. Here's what I did to assist in keeping the greasy threaded rod under control (dirt off it and grease off everything else). I cut a short piece of plastic plumbing pipe, cemented a cap on one end and drilled the cap for a short piece of nylon line. When in place on our Scamp the pipe protects most (admittedly not the lower section) of the rod from dirt and dust. In the transport mode, it totally covers the rod and with a quick truckers hitch in the nylon line the whole thing is held together and easy to carry.
Attached Thumbnails
bal1.JPG   bal2.JPG  

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote