Selling from US to Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Selling from US to Canada

A bit OT as it is my boat I might sell to a Canadian, but what do I need to know? It has California title and registration as does the trailer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I bought my Fiber Stream in Montana about 6 years ago. I needed clear title and registration, complete with a bill of sale that has the same identifying numbers for Canada Customs. Make sure the bill shows true sale value, since tax (GST) is charged at the border. If the agents don't think it is a real sales value, they can either impound, or assess their own value.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
There really is nothing you need to do other than collect your money.

The buyer in Canada has to get some forms, make sure the VIN is right and send those papers to US customs 72 hours ahead of crossing the boarder back so they have time to check and make sure it has clear title and is not stolen.
If happy US customs then stamps the papers and its off to Canada customs.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
There really is nothing you need to do other than collect your money.

The buyer in Canada has to get some forms, make sure the VIN is right and send those papers to US customs 72 hours ahead of crossing the boarder back so they have time to check and make sure it has clear title and is not stolen.
If happy US customs then stamps the papers and its off to Canada customs.
That is good to know. I assume the buyer will have investigated how to do it, but I wanted to make sure there was nothing I need to do. Luckily I think the VIN is still legible on the trailer, I remember painting around the plate.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #5

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
The buyer can get the forms from transport Canada. Different paper work for boat and trailer( a set for each)
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

Registry
Will he have any problem paying in US cash? (That is, bringing in or changing that much money?) Or is there another safe way to pay? I imagine he could wire funds to my account.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Should not be an issue as long as the person feels comfortable carrying large amounts of cash.
International postal money orders are safe and just the same as cash, the only drawback is the post office where you cash them needs to be big so they have the cash on hand.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Registry
Our post office would not be able to cash a large money order.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #9

Registry
Sold, but he is coming back to pick it up. Buyer owns or used to own a Trillium.

I couldn't confirm the three day wait but he was going to stop on the way home and ask US and Canadian customs both what he has to do.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
He just needs the fax number for USA Boarder he'll be crossing, you provide him with the VIN number he needs to put on the paper work.
When he gets to the crossing he stops in at US customs they stamp his paper work then off to Canada customs he goes.

Should he not stop at the US customs office first, Canada customs won't even look at him. They know he needs to stop for the stamp.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

Registry
I talked to a relative who is a customs agent. He just said stop at the us side first. Only motor vehicles require the paperwork first.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Actually I have imported a car and a trailer and it was only the car that needed to have the paper work sent to the border 72 hours prior and only in the case of the car did I need to go to US Customs first. In the case of a trailer you do not need to go to the US Customs office and instead you take the trailer straight to the Canadian border crossing and they will do all the paper work there providing you have the title papers and the bill of sale, the ad you responded to etc - no paper work needed to be filled out ahead of time. It is your reponsablity to check the VIN prior to purchase to make sure it is not stolen and is clear title. You will need to pay all the taxes but no duty if the trailer/boat was made in the USA or Canada or Mexico. In the case of a trailer it will also need t be entered into the RIV program (another fee grabber) if it is less than 15 years old - again they do all that for you at Canada customs. Took less than half an hour to have my trailer cleared and all the paper work done on a long week-end. My understanding is they treat boats the same as trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Will he have any problem paying in US cash? (That is, bringing in or changing that much money?) Or is there another safe way to pay? I imagine he could wire funds to my account.
He can carry up to c$10,000.00 in cash across the border without an issue.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #14

Registry
My nephew did say the buyer had to stop at US customs first. Trailer is more than 15 years old so now we have to figure out separate prices for boat and trailer, keeping the trailer price reasonable, since our agreed on price didn't specify how much for each. Cal DMV requires that anyway though in that case I don't think it matters.

Trailer has PTI, I hope that doesn't baffle anyone.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #15

Registry
Bobbie yes you are correct you need to give the seller a bill of sale -showing the price of the trailer seperate from the boat. As the trailer is more than 15 years old it just means the import process is even easier for the buyer. They do not have to pay about $200 to have the trailer registered into the RIV program at the Candian border and it saves the border staff from doing more paper work at the border. It also means they can get register and insurance for the trailer right away when they get home rather than waiting for the RIV paper work to come through.

My understanding/experince of the import system having imported from the US my car and trailer is that only motorized vechiles need to report to the US Customs prior to importing. I did have to send the paper work to US Customs ahead of time and then go in and pick it up at the US Customs office first once I had the car but I did not have to do either with the trailer - just showed up with the trailer & paper work at Canada Customs.

There is a good link to information on import boats to Canada: Pat's Boating in Canada: Importing a Boat from the U.S.A.