Senior Moments - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Last week I took off on a three-day, 500 mile, trip around the Cascade Loop in Northern Washington State. Just my 2005 13-foot Scamp, my dog, and me. I’m a widower approaching 74 and have averaged 3,000 miles a summer in small travel trailers since I retired 10 years ago.
Like most old guys living alone, I have small “Senior Moments” but they’re seldom troublesome but last week …. well you decide.

When I checked in at the Lincoln Rock State Park on the Columbia River near Wenatchee, I backed into my site, and hooked up water and power. I didn’t bother to unhook the trailer from the car since I didn’t plan on going anywhere. I did put the front jack down to stabilize things.

The next morning I disconnected water and power, lifted the front jack and unhooked the safety chains and the 7 pin electrical connection. After a quick walk around I took off towards home, 180 miles away.

10 miles later as I was braking on a downhill stretch, I glanced down at the light on my electric brake to see that reddish color and, Nothing! No red light, no green light, no light at all. Oh crap! Why had I disconnected the 7-pin connection so I had no trailer brakes? And why was I driving 60 MPH in heavy traffic with no safety chains.

Now you see why I started thinking about Senior Moments. And then I realized that within the previous two days I had seen several examples that weren’t me. The old guy in a bulgemobile pulling out of the space next to me with his TV antenna still up. The nice lady who left dragging her power cord. And so on.

Have you had senior moments? Do they worry you? What should I do about them? Are my Scamping days over?

Ron of Lopez Island

RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Yeah, yeah, life goes on!

CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Reality check! More than once, I've done some ridiculous things. Fortunately causing no harm. Each is a learning experience, not to be repeated.

Maybe it's time to put a Post-It note on the steering wheel for those "remember" things that are done out of the norm? I consider them cheat sheets and have them stuck everywhere. Typically on the front door when there's something I HAVE to remember as I go out.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am only 51 and have these moments all the time.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

This is the reason I created my Checklist(s) 8.0. I consult them whenever I setup and break camp. It creates a ritual to touch on, so I will no longer leave a compartment door open so it can blow off somewhere on the Interstate.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
When parking for the night while still hooked up, I normally unplug from the tow vehicle too. Guess I'm a bit paranoid about running the batteries down and being unable to start the tow vehicle.

Once when I was about 30 we left a brother-in-law's home in Los Angeles for San Diego. All the way I noticed the whole rig, a 26 ft Avion being towed by a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup, felt "mushy" when braking. Once we got parked safely in our spot new San Diego, I went to disconnect the electrics from the tow vehicle and noticed it was already disconnected.

Go figure!

Heh! Heh! Heh!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Trailer: 17 ft Boler
I am in my 30s and these kinds of things happen to us all!! I call them blond moments, my husband calls them "me distracting him".....

Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
Hi Ron

My take on it is if no one knows about it it didn't happen.....
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I have them too. On my last trip out my wife and I made a list. She reads it out and I go check.
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have a list too but I forgot where P put it. Go figure.

Dave Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Hey Ron...... now what the heck was I going to say???

Oh well, I forgot. Where am I? At least we meet new friends all the time.

You are fine, just enjoy life, my man!

Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Ron, although it didn't happen to me I did witness the following in Las Vegas last week:

A young European family in a rental RVUSA C class was pulling away from their site (next to ours) as I approached our trailer finishing a morning walk. I noticed their 30 amp cord was still plugged in! Just as I was about to shout for them to stop, the driver noticed it in his left mirror and stopped moving forward with such force (foot to the floor) I can only imagine the carnage inside from falling cupboard debris. Anyhoo he was all of 30.....feel better now? I can only imagine the $$ consequence of ripping the guts out of a rental unit....
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
The first thing on my departure checklist is to turn on the TV parking lights and hazard warning lights. This checks the RV running lights, tail lights and turn signals.

And of course, that the unbilical is connected.

CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Forgetting things is also something i do all the time.... so much that i asked a doctor and he said forgetting where you put your keys is no problem...... forgetting what to do with them is

Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote