Seriously considering new Parkliner - help please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #15

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Hi Bryan, I have a 2014 Parkliner which I picked up Labor day weekend. The trailer is basically for me to use with my dogs at dog shows and hopefully some travel. I have never pulled a trailer before and find that I hardly know it's behind me. I absolutely love my trailer, such wonderful quality and the cuteness factor is an extra added bonus. My husband and I drove down to Gibsonville just to see one before I ordered mine. I have only used it 3 times but have been able to get where I was going and back home and feel more confident with each use. I would, without a doubt order this trailer again, the feeling of space inside belies it's small size, I love the queen size bed and the storage is wonderful.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #16

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
After much research and viewing other fiberglass campers I placed an order with Parkliner in Feb 2014. The communication was not good and inconsistent with the factory (calls and emails). I used this website in my research and so many here were kind enough to provide information. I have to admit I grew concerned when I had placed reservations with a hotel in the area to pick up my camper and received an email from Chandler the evening before I was to leave saying the camper would not be ready (glad I checked my email). One of the members on this forum who had recently purchased a Parkliner suggested I call Tom Bass. Tom was helping Chandler out with customer service. Tom made the rest of my experience a very pleasurable one. In addition, Chandler delivered the Parkliner to my house - 8 hours away from the factory. He was very nice and answered all the questions I had about the camper. Our family loves the Parkliner. We used it all through the summer and fall. It is great. Just what we were looking for. I have not had any issue with the camper - all joy! My advice to you is to contact Tom Bass directly. If you do not have his phone number contact me and I will provide. I highly recommend the camper - Kevin

Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #17

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Thanks to all - so far so good - I understand about the communication issues - I think I can deal with that so far but it is a bit slow process... I have been encouraged with the general comments about this unit - I went to see the factory and like the product but of course I want to customize it and that is what Chandler will let you do. Still looking for any insight - good and bad or indifferent - quality, issues, towing, things I should consider, options that should be a must have, etc. I have decided on going all electric with 2 batteries and no solar - we always use campgrounds and 90 percent of the time have 30amp service - if we stay for a night or two without power the batteries should be enough for the fridge if not opened a lot and the maxx air fan when sleeping - the tow vehicle will charge the house batteries when in motion for about 6-8 hrs
Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Raz, we have used 12 volt compressor refrigerators with both of our trailers (13' Scamp & 17' Lil Snoozy), we never noticed any amount of heat in the interior, and they both only vented to the interior (2" space under & above the refrigerator). Perhaps it is because they were both very small compared to a home refrigerator. I too like the look of a smooth ventless fiberglass exterior.
Dave & Paula
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
bsedwebt -

You should be OK with that setup, but I'd caution you to include the following since you are forgoing the solar -

Use two Group 31, 12 volt batteries. This should give you alot of flexibility to run that fridge and other devices before needing a charge - should be around 220 ah total, or around 110 ah useable. It adds up quick when a fridge uses 2-3 ah, a ventilator fan uses 1-2 ah, etc. Make sure these batteries are AGM if located inside without external ventilation, standard flooded are OK if you locate them with ventilation and can access them easy enough to check water levels.

Make sure your trailer wiring harness is a 7 pin connection. One of those pins takes 12v power from your tow vehicle while you are traveling and charges your trailer batteries. That will give you peace of mind knowing that after a long road trip, you are arriving at camp with topped off batteries.

Make sure your trailer's converter system includes a 3 stage, or "smart" battery charger that can handle the type of batteries you select. The Progressive Dynamics 9000 series converter is fairly well regarded. Otherwise, get a separate battery charger that can go thru the various charging modes.

Good luck!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #20

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
propane refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
It's getting harder and harder to get a propane fridge. Trailer manufacturers love the compressor fridge because it is much easier to install. The problem is that most don't seem to read the installation instructions. Just like your home fridge, to work efficiently, you need to remove the heat. That means a vent needs to be installed. Some vent below the fridge (remember heat rises) into the living area making it hotter. Others don't provide any vent at all. Imagine taping a sheet of plastic to the back of your home refrigerator. To work at maximum efficiency you will need a vent to the outside no matter which fridge you choose. Raz
A friend of ours recently purchased a new 36 ft 5th wheel with a cost of over 40K
A propane refrigerator (3way) was part of an upgrade pkg and was available for only an additional $1200. The salesman' s pitch was that most people who own large 5th wheels do not camp without hookups and do not need a propane refrigerator . There is a huge cost savings to the trailer manufacturers to drop the gas refrigerator . I believe our group / type of campers would be more likely to use/ need a gas refrigerator and I for one would not purchase a trailer that does not have the propane option.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
bsedwebt -

You should be OK with that setup, but I'd caution you to include the following since you are forgoing the solar -

Use two Group 31, 12 volt batteries. This should give you alot of flexibility to run that fridge and other devices before needing a charge - should be around 220 ah total, or around 110 ah useable.

This is good advice but I don't think you would ever fit two G31 batteries in the stock Parkliner location. You just might, might I say, get two 6V Golf Cart batteries shoe-horned in though. Somebody really needs to find out if this will work. And if it won't, well is should!

With all the good reports from people on the 12V compressor fridges I do not understand others insisting on a propane fired unit. Maybe they don't think this new-fangled electricity is here to stay?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
With all the good reports from people on the 12V compressor fridges I do not understand others insisting on a propane fired unit. Maybe they don't think this new-fangled electricity is here to stay?
It's simple, I don't want to have to rely on a battery for my refrigerator to work. Gas is cheap, it's reliable, it's efficient and it doesn't require additional solar panels or generators to recharge. I don't need sunshine and it doesn't make any noise. Additionally, I have a nice gas furnace and gas stove available when going off the grid.

It's really not a rejection of new technology but a preference for a proven, flexible technology.

I'm with Steve on this one.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #23

South Carolina
Quote:
This is good advice but I don't think you would ever fit two G31 batteries in the stock Parkliner location. You just might, might I say, get two 6V Golf Cart batteries shoe-horned in though. Somebody really needs to find out if this will work. And if it won't, well is should!

There is certainly nothing wrong with using a "golf cart" set of 6V batteries. They usually are taller than 12v batteries, but have a smaller footprint. The AH ratings are around the same, but as they are wired together differntly, the AH rating of two 200 AH 6v batteries is still 200 AH at 12v. They come in AGM too which may be a good choice if you are shoehorning them in and won't be able to access viewports for water maintenance.

My new trailer is ordered with four (4), 6 volt AGM batteries for a total of 400 ah. I also ordered the 3 way fridge, as I'm not concerned with perfomance on LP. On battery, they can be a hog with consumption, but on LP they use almost no DC. Some folks have had issues with LP refrigerators blowing out underway, so they travel in battery mode. That is OK if you are hooked up to your tow vehicle with a 7 pin connector, as it's essentially running off your alternator.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

My reason would be in these parts we don't have a lot of power sites in our Provincial parks and that I have two camping buddies with nice new trailers and 12v compressor fridges and 2 batteries on their trailers and every darn time we go camping in areas without power and lots of tree coverage they start to have lack of power issues after two nights of camping! Especially if they have been using a fan or occasional heater along with the fridge and the weather is really bad resulting in limited sunshine for the solar to keep up! Result is plans end up changing & time is wasted while we come up with a creative plan B and spend time recharge their trailer batteries before everything in their fridges goes bad. Not to mention it never seems to fail that their low battery warnings go off in the middle of the night, never in the day time. LOL

Interestingly both have owned trailers with the propane fridge option previously and both would tell you if the fridge in their current trailers wasn't so darn new and replacing it wasn't so costly they would pull it out and replace it with one with a propane option. Actually one of them has indicated that at this point they would pull out the 12v fridge and replace it if it where not for the fact the trailer seems to have been built around the fridge and there is no way to get it out of the trailer without removing the largest window in the trailer... they don't want to go there just yet... but if that window ever starts leaking you can be sure the fridge would come out & be replaced at the same time the window gets reset and resealed.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #25

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Thanks all - still thinking no propane - I will use a couple frozen bottles of water for times when I will not have power for more than 2 days and keep the door shut and cut it off as needed - I am thinking of staying with 2 group 24 but using Trojan batteries - they have a 100 AH rating each (highest I have found for the size that will fit the now standard trailer tongue mount box) somebody suggested to me to use LITHIUM batteries - lighter and more powerful - I have yet to research it but it is becoming popular with boats. I was not thinking about solar - but I have yet to look into inexpensive, temporary use units that I could suction cup mount to the top when needed. Any suggestions on Lithium and cheap, removable solar panels?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #26

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Thanks all - still thinking no propane - I will use a couple frozen bottles of water for times when I will not have power for more than 2 days and keep the door shut and cut it off as needed - I am thinking of staying with 2 group 24 but using Trojan batteries - they have a 100 AH rating each (highest I have found for the size that will fit the now standard trailer tongue mount box) somebody suggested to me to use LITHIUM batteries - lighter and more powerful - I have yet to research it but it is becoming popular with boats. I was not thinking about solar - but I have yet to look into inexpensive, temporary use units that I could suction cup mount to the top when needed. Any suggestions on Lithium and cheap, removable solar panels?
That would be a cool project to put in Lithium.

Here's a company that makes drop in replacements with all the protection electronics built-in (which you'll need) - their Group 24 equivalent is 50AH and costs only $689. 12V 50 AH Lithium Ion Battery | Deep Cycle Lithium Ion Battery | Smart Battery
Keep in mind you can't charge them when it's below 32 degrees F. Let us know how it works out!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Any suggestions on Lithium and cheap, removable solar panels?
If you use the search function at the top of this forum and use the bottom search box on the drop down menu (google) you will find lots of threads on the topic of solar panels... many of us use them.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #28

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
For us 12v 4 cu ft truck fridge plus 100w solar panel works great. Even when plugged in I let the solar system keep the battery charged.

Wouldn't work in cloudy or real shady places but I camp in Fl in the winter. Works perfect here

You should have no issues towing with your JC. Be sure to have ball at the right height to make trailer level and have at least 10% of total weight on tongue. Weigh it, do not trust manufacturers rating or your own "estimate" of his much and where you load gear

We have a JGC towing 2850# trailer. The factory load leveling rear shocks work great. Note you have to tow a few miles to pump them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
parkliner