Sewer question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Just ordered 17" Casita ID
Washington
Sewer question

Hi,

Nooby question here regarding Casita travels next year. How does one know when the Black & Grey holding tanks are full? Is there a gauge or something? I am sure I will find out at the Company walk thru, but some questions just need to be answered as I compile my "needs" list. Too much retirement time on my hands after selling our house : )

Thanks much,

Joseph Q
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Look underneath to take note about where the overflow of the grey water tank is and look for a puddle underneath. Grey water is benign, so a little bit should not get you in trouble. Black water level is visible, looking straight down, you may need a flashlight to get a good view.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Overflows (aka breather vents) are usually well above the full level of a holding tank. In some FGRV's, when the gray water tank is full, water will start to back up into the bathroom/shower drain and then, eventually, onto the trailers floor.

You need to find out how to monitor tank levels from Casita when you pick up your trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Colorado
That is a very good point. My Scamp has a pump that moves water from the shower and bathroom sink drains to the tank in the back. That obviously prevents backflow, but the trailers are all slightly different. I had an overflow once, without any disasters. I was only slightly embarrassed.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
My Scamp has a pump that moves water from the shower and bathroom sink drains to the tank in the back. That obviously prevents backflow, .

my Scamp has the same pump but if the grey water tank gets full it can and will back up into the shower/bathroom floor.

As other have indicated you can see the level of the black tank so that one is an easy one. Re grey water - thats also easy if you are camping with no hook ups. You know the size of your fresh water tank and the size of your grey tank. I for example know that if I have used up two tanks of fresh water it is time to start worrying about draining off the grey tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I installed the "Tech Edge" monitor (single) for my grey tank on the Scamp. It has a "different" style sensor. I chose it because of the sensor alone. If you use a single area and it becomes coated inside (and they will) you're basically screwed on getting accurate readings. This style covers a MUCH more expansive area for the reading. So far so good!

Here's some photos of the installation. I just wish now I had gone ahead and ordered at least a double for the fresh water tank...I like it that well!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57651864275800
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't have a black water tank and I don't have a shower and I don't connect to city water. Therefore it's really easy to know about how full the grey water tank is. The fresh water tank is 12 gallons. If have to fill the fresh water tank before I empty the grey water tank I know I have less than 12 gallons in grey water tank, probably about 5 gallons since most of the fresh water would have been consumed as coffee. If I have to fill the fresh water tank a second time it's time to empty the grey water tank.
Also when ever I leave a campground that has a dump station I empty the grey water and fill the fresh water.
Don't need no expensive level indicator.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
my Scamp has the same pump but if the grey water tank gets full it can and will back up into the shower/bathroom floor.
There is also a flapper check valve near the pump, if I remember correctly, but I guess both could fail to do their job. It is still only the grey water, so pretty benign. I my case the back flow would be confined to the bathroom sump - for the lack of a better word, it is the low area, about six inches deep. (I use a light weight removable false floor over that area for user convenience.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I installed the "Tech Edge" monitor (single) for my grey tank on the Scamp. It has a "different" style sensor. I chose it because of the sensor alone. If you use a single area and it becomes coated inside (and they will) you're basically screwed on getting accurate readings. This style covers a MUCH more expansive area for the reading. So far so good!

Here's some photos of the installation. I just wish now I had gone ahead and ordered at least a double for the fresh water tank...I like it that well!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57651864275800
This one looks interesting, obviously a high-tech gadget. What is the operating principle? Is it durable? In two years I have already traveled at least twice on salted roads (spring and fall), so I would be concerned about exposed connections and solder joints, etc. on the underside of the Scamp.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #9

For what it's worth...it wasnt that expensive. Amazing what we call expensive when we spend thousands for the rv, tow, miles, insurance... to each his own... My regret is that I wish I had bought a DOUBLE unit.

Back to you Paul.... it IS interesting and that unit is coated in 3M 90 contact cement...their recommendation. In other words, it's suppose to be weather proof. I havent had it long enough to prove it out. But I'll tell you, it's ONE tough coating. Some use "rubber" coating but the 3M was Tech Edge's recommendation. These units have been proven on boats for many years.

This one looks interesting, obviously a high-tech gadget. What is the operating principle? Is it durable? In two years I have already traveled at least twice on salted roads (spring and fall), so I would be concerned about exposed connections and solder joints, etc. on the underside of the Scamp.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #10

Colorado
You nailed it, Byron. 130 odd bucks seems quite extravagant for the simple problem we are discussing here. But as a retired techie, I would not mind playing with one if given to me.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Black tank - look down toilet
Grey tank - will eventually back up through shower drain. I find I use my outside shower for dishwashing etc and dump at campground drain pits therefore the amount of water used from fresh water tank is not a reliable estimate but if all your water goes down the drain that should be very reliable. Unless you are taking long showers etc I have gone a week with two people and never filled the grey tank, it is quite large.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Black tank - look down toilet
Grey tank - will eventually back up through shower drain. I find I use my outside shower for dishwashing etc and dump at campground drain pits therefore the amount of water used from fresh water tank is not a reliable estimate but if all your water goes down the drain that should be very reliable. Unless you are taking long showers etc I have gone a week with two people and never filled the grey tank, it is quite large.
No shower, no electric water pump. Trailer is made to be OFF THE GRID.
We do seem to have some sort of advantage. We learned a long time ago how to live with minimal water. Most of the water we used in backpacking days went to keep up hydrated. It's kind of hard to carry a lot of water on your back. We pumped with filtered hand pump for our water. Taking 10 to 15 minutes of work to fill a liter bottle you learned to be conservative. There's many other tricks we've learned over the years to make ourselves comfortable without the use of a lot of resources. It's not that hard, but it does take some reading and working on yourself to differentiate between needs and wants.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Byron, the original poster has ordered a new Casita independence so my answer was in response to his specific question about Casitas and his will have a shower I am fairly sure
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our '96 Casita LD 17 has a valve between the shower drain and the grey water tank so it can't back up into the shower
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All these trailers are made to be used off grid. For instance, no one says just because you have a hot water heater you have to use it when it's not appropriate for the circumstances. That goes for everything from lights to furnace to water. You would be ahead of anyone in a canvas tent!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #16

We stay mostly in campgrounds. IF you have a tank overflow, how can it be called a "simple problem"?? I still dont see how a $130 one-time investment could be an issue.

If I'm living the close to the edge, I'll sell my RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
You nailed it, Byron. 130 odd bucks seems quite extravagant for the simple problem we are discussing here. But as a retired techie, I would not mind playing with one if given to me.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I bought a "Micro-Monitor" display panel and wiring loom surplus on-line for about $20 (It was marked Winnebago) and got the sensors for free from the mfg. It has 3 level circuits, a battery level LED and a water pump switch. I just use the water level section because that's the only tank I have until the still is finished... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita