Shabby cooktop fix? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: Jo
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Texas
Registry
Shabby cooktop fix?

Hello campers. We are really enjoying the challenges of our vintage Trillium. The info, energy and ingenuity here, is so helpful. Couldn't resist, starting on some "fixes", as soon as we got it home to E. Tex. Hope to post some pics. a bit later of some projects we are working on...antenna on top, had to go (of course, that will mean a fiberglass repair, etc.) Roof air has been added. Hand water pump has to be replaced, holding tank is good. Thetford electric toilet is great, but it took us a day or so, to figure out, exactly how it works. A shower was added, as a matter of fact, evidently the front bunk was removed and this mini bath was added. Not a very finished look, but pretty decent and it is a requirement for the old guy and I. Got some leaks, that is going to be a challenge. I removed the refrig door, scrubbed and cleaned and scrubbed. I am pondering what to replace the front panel with, and painting the "surround". I took a Sos pad and Brasso, to the original hardware and uncovered some nice copper patina. I coated the laminate doors and the hardware with poly semi-gloss sealer.

We are trying to stay on a reasonable budget. Also, after years of owning various campers, a small motorhome and big ole toy haulers, we really want to get back to more basic camping. You know, NO elec. can opener, microwave, elec. coffe pot, etc. We love the petite, lightweight Trillium, that pulls like it's practically not there and are trying to stay, not exactly primitive, but pretty basic. Got a question ...would like to do something about the top of the gas 3-burner. It is white and looking pretty shabby. I don't want to replace the cooktop, it works fine. Any of you brilliant folks have some suggestions? Has anyone ever re-painted a top, with success? Will be searching for answers, 'cause I know you folks have tons of them. Thanks, JO
Jo R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
If you are going to paint it you will need to degrease-first soap and water to get any crud off than a solvent-maybe paint thinner and sand. If there are chip and dings start with 100 grit and feather out then final sand with 220 grit. An intermediate sanding with 150 grit will make the fine sanding easier. If you haven't sanded through to the metal rattle can with a high temp bar-b-que paint or engine block paint-several light coats. If you have sanded through to the metal you will need a primer under the top or color coat. Any paint, hardware, or auto supply store should have hi temp rattle cans of paint in several colors
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You can also phone around to some of the shops and ask if any one does high temp painting - they may be willing to do a small stove top that has been already cleaned up and ready to paint for a small fee.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You can also phone around to some of the shops and ask if any one does high temp painting - they may be willing to do a small stove top that has been already cleaned up and ready to paint for a small fee.
Thanks for the input. I do like the idea of sandblasting and re-paint. If that is not very pricey, I might do that. JO
Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
For the frig panel, Home Depot sells 4' x 2' sheets of Formica in 5 or 6 patterns. Cost is about $15. I just replaced the panel in the Bigfoot with some. I had to use scraps as a backing to increase the thickness. I'm happy with the results.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The "stainless steel" stove top cover in my Scamp is a tad rusty. I keep scrubbing at it with Barkeepers Friend and know it's clean. After I've used it to cook, I just put the wood cover over it. No one is the wiser... and that's FREE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The "stainless steel" stove top cover in my Scamp is a tad rusty. I keep scrubbing at it with Barkeepers Friend and know it's clean. After I've used it to cook, I just put the wood cover over it. No one is the wiser... and that's FREE!
Love to hear the ideas and solutions from you folks. Weather is mild here, so we will continue to work along, until...the hunting season begins for real and the hubby is pulled away into the forest land of the whitetail deer and the home of the wild hogs, who are a growing menace around these parts. JO