Shade for back of hunter 1 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Name: craig
Trailer: 1974 hunter 1
Colorado
Shade for back of hunter 1

Looking for a shade structure for back of hunter1. Found Tailgator Sunshade that would probably work but they are not made anymore. Kelty IPA taigator would also work but they are also not made anymore. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Craig
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
We tried an Ezy Awning, from busdepot.com. Works well, except the relatives crowd in so quickly there's no room left, and i have to sit in the sun. We tie it around the poptop, use two of the legs, with guy lines to stakes. Easily survived big wind gusts in Arches Nat'l Park.
Rob V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Most folks I have seen with Compacts just use a pop up/ez up 10 X 10 shelter at the rear - seems to work just fine - Wally world currently has a fairly light one on sale for about $80 . Cheaper and easy to put up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just a heads up on EZ-up awnings... There are two varieties: slant leg and straight leg. The cheapest ones are usually the slant leg type, and a 10x10 base tapers to an 8x8 canopy. The slanted uprights also mean you can't add sides, and it won't fit close against the side of a trailer. I'd spend the extra money for the straight leg type.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just a heads up on EZ-up awnings... There are two varieties: slant leg and straight leg. The cheapest ones are usually the slant leg type, and a 10x10 base tapers to an 8x8 canopy. The slanted uprights also mean you can't add sides, and it won't fit close against the side of a trailer. I'd spend the extra money for the straight leg type.

Good point. The 10 x 10 currently on sale for about $80 at Wally World has straight legs.

I have a couple of EZ-up type pop ups.

One is the REAL thing and its VERY heavy (priced around $300) - tops and side are made of a heavy materials. I only bring it along in fall, winter and early spring camping when weather is going to be in question. Due to its heavy duty construction and weight its impossible for me to put up on my own no matter how creative I get in my approach to it.

The other is a cheap (under $90) much lighter knock off from Wally world that I use in summer months for shade or to keep the moisture from morning fog off the outside table when camping at the beach in summer. It has a light nylon top. It has been tested out in heavy rains though and worked out ok for that as well. You can also for about $30 purchase net walls to attach to keep the bugs out. Although cheap the last one I purchased got a great deal of use over 5 years before it stated to have issues & needed replacing.

Due to having had a pretty good experience with the length of life/use I got out of the cheaper knock off I am on the fence as to whether or not one needs to spend the extra money on the real thing or go with the cheaper knock off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
FWIW, check the dumpsters at any park after a windy weekend and you will find a pile of wrecked EZ ups. The BusDepot awning stands up to wind very well, packs ultra compactly and looks cool. That said, it's fairly complex to put together and more expensive than the EZ up so there is a trade off.

http://www.busdepot.com/ezyplusb#.VZMyDxZbLZ0.mailto

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Check out the shady boy awning we are using on the HCI . It is aprox 3 feet wide in its case and would fit nicely on the back of the compact. It is very light weight and easy to set up. I was very impressed on how it works and looks.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bobbie Mayer had a great solution! I can't find the thread. It's late in the day, I'm tired.

Bobbie???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Compact II awning

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]I had an awning rail on this 1975 Compact II and decided to have an awning made. The two poles can be mounted to the rear bumper and the tie-down lines are used with a slight breeze. I have had the awning out when there was no breeze and the poles were used without the lines.

The dome affect in the awning is created by fiberglass rods inserted in the corners. The result is no sag from rain.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Attached Thumbnails
back 1.jpg   side window and back 1.jpg  

SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #10

Colorado
I have found the taigator awning and just ordered on. Will let everyone know when I get it .
There is the link for Tailgator Sunshade
Eurow TailGator Sunshade (tm) Portable Shade - Blue : Automotive Accessories

Thanks
Craig
Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: EZ Up.... Pleeeze keep in mind that EZ Up is a brand name of an American company and knock-offs will usually be of substantially lesser quality.
Knock-offs may look the same, but come back in a year and see which ones are still in good condition.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bobbie Mayer had a great solution! I can't find the thread. It's late in the day, I'm tired.

Bobbie???
I have a Walmart Ozark Trail 10x10 straight leg canopy. I'm being specific because this particular canopy is tall enough on the sides to sit over the door on the Campster (and my Campster is tall so likely would on most Hunter types). You can buy screen walls for it though I've never even opened mine. I had one up a week ago on the Washington Coast and wind enough to flap it a lot at night did not come close to damaging it. I did have it staked down and had picked as protected a spot as I could to set up. It's also easy enough for me to take down alone although setting up alone is only sometimes do-able (depends on the day and the ground surface). I also have a hanging tent for it (Amazon) which makes it into an Add-a-room in colder weather, and you can exit from the trailer into the tent (it has front and back doors). I sewed an extra flap over one side of the canopy so it could attach to velcro on the trailer roof and prevent rain leaks between the two- haven't tried that yet, though.

Downside of a sturdy canopy is weight but this gives me lots of extra living space and room for a guest.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
RE: EZ Up.... Pleeeze keep in mind that EZ Up is a brand name of an American company and knock-offs will usually be of substantially lesser quality.
Knock-offs may look the same, but come back in a year and see which ones are still in good condition.
And the actual "EZ up" is anything but. It's the hardest canopy to set up that I've ever had (at least, my ten-year old one was). On the other hand, when I left California, since the top had worn through due to two winters of being set up outside, I gave it to Lisa M. as it still worked fine for shade. The Ozark Trail canopy I have now is much easier. So was the cheap Kwik-shade I bought but that also broke very easily on about the third use (metal in the scissors part just crumpled).

Make sure whatever you get has a vent at the top and reflective material on the underside (should really be outside but still helps).
Old 07-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Both of my EZ-Up's, one a commercial model about 15 years old, and a consumer model, about 7 years old, are still EZ to erect, but the commercial one does have a separate canopy that isn't folded with the frame. The consumer ones I have seen that are easier to put up have been flimsier as well.

BTW: You can buy replacement canopies and frame parts for EZ-Ups, how about getting same for a WalMart special?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Shade for back of hunter 1

Good point, Bob. My First-Up was the Walmart knock-off about 8-10 years ago, and it's still going strong. Up until a few years ago, they did support it with replacement canopies, screens, and side walls, but not frame parts.

Now they seem to have gone with an even flimsier variety and no support. Par for the course at Walmart in my recent experience.

Wish I had bought a spare canopy when they had them. I do store mine separately from the frame to avoid wear against the frame at stress points. It is starting to show some UV degradation, and I noticed some small leaks along the seams that a sealer should take care of.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #16

Registry
The Ozark Trail canopy (10 x10) from Walmart is not at all flimsy and has a really nice, heavier canopy top. But no- I haven't seen parts available.

I like the awnings on the Compact.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
That's good to know, and I just happened to notice in my local Walmart that they did have replacement canopies. Same size, so it might even fit my older frame.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #18

Registry
It's a tall frame, sort of like the Coleman. High peak.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #19

Colorado
This is the awning

Old 09-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #20

Colorado
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMa...ew?usp=sharing