Shademaker Delux Awning mounting problems - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just installed a Shademaker Deluxe Awning (slid it into the rail) and discovered that when i set it up, it is a pretty tight fit. The arms extending from the trailer do not have enough room to add the little black receivers that the balls are to fit into. This is mostly due to the curvature of the roof line as I have my rail quite high. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Hi Lisa,

You don't mention what size awning or what type of trailer, but here is my install thread of a Shademaker 8' Premium Awning on a Scamp 13 and how I located everthing.
Has worked without a flaw since installation about 7 months now.

Shademaker Awning Install

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi Lisa...I experienced the same situation with my 9"awning. I installed the awning rafter receivers under the awning bag (see Greg's excellent photos ) but the arms were too long when fully extended. I solved this by drilling new holes for the detents ( the little ball on spring thingies) a little further up the arm. The detents slide out and can be re-inserted easily. One caveat...make sure you drill the hole for the new spot in exactly a right angle so that both detents engage .
To measure for the new spot...set up awning, engage rafter fully, mark the edge of the inner rafter where it exits the larger channel,then re-mark it where the detents engage. Remove the inner channel. The difference between where the factory detent holes are, and where your new holes will have to be, is the distance between the two marks.
Good luck. Remember the carpenter's adage " Measure twice- cut once"
Alistair
Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi Lisa,

You don't mention what size awning or what type of trailer, but here is my install thread of a Shademaker 8' Premium Awning on a Scamp 13 and how I located everthing.
Has worked without a flaw since installation about 7 months now.

Shademaker Awning Install
Thanks for the advice. The photos are a great help. It is now on the "to do" list. Cheers.