Shakedown Trip- Questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shakedown Trip- Questions

Hello everyone!

Just took a one night quick trip up the coast a few miles to San Simeon State Park (we are SO lucky!) and almost everything was as good as can be expected.

I filled my fresh water tank before we left and was looking forward to using my sink and toilet, but when I flipped the water pump switch and tried the water in the sink, shower and toilet...nothing!:bh Luckily, there was a toilet and sink right across from us, so there were no worries.

Now, to find the reason that this water pump didn't work. Any ideas? I blew a fuse a week ago trying to figure out my electrical system and maybe is there another fuse in the system to the switch and that is blown?

Also, on those rear stabilizer jacks. Are there supposed to be any type of pins used to secure these in conjuction with swinging these down to use?

Oh yeah, one thing I learned on this very first journey in my Casita. I've discovered it is wise from now on, to ALWAYS chock the tires BEFORE you unhook the tow vehicle from the trailer - ESPECIALLY when parking on a sloped space (I am sure that all of YOU already know this, but we learned it the hard way)! Thank goodness for those cement parking lot type stoppers, otherwise we would have had a cracked egg!

Old 06-16-2003, 01:20 PM   #2

water pump

Hi Dave, I have had the experience of turning on the pump to get no response
as well - no noise, nothing. Perhaps my pump is on its last legs, but I
found that if I tapped the motor housing on the pump, away it went.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #3

Dave,

The first thing I would do is check to make sure you have power to it. You were talking fuses. What if a wire jiggled loose somewhere?

Just a thought.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:38 PM   #4

or an airbound pump

if you can hear the pump running and no water your pump might be air bound . this hapens to my trillum a lot. In my case i think someone removed a check valve or 2 so they could blow down the system for winter. now everytime i fill the potable water tank from empty the water pump gets an air pocket it cant pump air. So what i do is . i hook up a baloon to a sports drink bottle and then poke a small hole in the other end and put that over the sink facet. the forse water from bottle backwards to pump . then take off ballon and turn on pump . this usually works on first try sometimes 2,
Old 06-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the ideas. I do think however, that it is an electrical problem (not my first!). When I turn on the switch, not a sound is heard, so I imagine something is amiss. I need to follow the wires and look for a fuse.

The somewhat vague schematic that Casita sent me with my owners manual, shows that there is a fuse somewhere near the switch on the side of the stove.

Time to go a hunting!
Old 06-18-2003, 12:08 AM   #6

Thanks for the ideas people. Well, the problem indeed wound up being a rusted fuse in the fuseable link under the water pump switch near the wheel housing in the cabinet. No telling what caused it to rust, but it is ok and that is all that matters for now.

Seems like the washer was out of the toilet line, as well as the shower stayed on no matter what I did, so I guess we aren't done afterall. So it's off to the RV store for some more stuff. Sure beats a water pump!