shelves in hanging clothes cabinet ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Question shelves in hanging clothes cabinet ?

I'd like to put some of those wire shelves up in the cabinet designed to hang clothes in on our 19' Bigfoot. Only thing the walls are paneling. How could I put something in there to support the shelves since I want this for basically a pantry? I thought about 2x4's inside it but then attaching it to the plyboard that is sooooooo thin. ???? I don't want to put anything on the outside of it to mess up how nice it looks.......If I use two 2x4's on each side and do a cross piece at the bottom and top on both sides then I wouldn't have to attach it to the paneling sides would I? Does anyone know if I put a couple cross pieces on the back of this would there be anything significant to screw into on the back side of it? Thanx for your help. I want to get started back working on our camper since I am itching to go camping again! I have all this stuff piled inside to do it except for the 2x4's and just needed some advise.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I attached 1 x 2's to the walls of my hanging closet using construction adhesive. I used "Liquid Nails". Did this 10 years ago, and it has stayed in place well.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was thinking the same. 2x4s seem like overkill (and extra weight).

If you don't like the permanence of construction adhesive, I think you could stand the supports against the inside walls and notch out the shelves so that the shelves would hold the supports in place without any adhesive. The the whole thing would be removable without a trace. A series of holes along the 1x2s with peg-type shelf brackets would make them adjustable.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In our Uhaul closet I used 1/4" plywood stood up against the side walls with 3/4" quarter round moulding to support the plywood shelves. By making the shelves a tight fit I didn't have to glue or screw the side pieces in. I did screw the shelves to the quarter round
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe some overkill being suggested. We converted the small clothes closet in our Hunter Compact-II to a pantry (after converting the loo to a huge closet and porta-port garage)

I used 1/2" x 1" maple strips along the sides, front and back edges of 1/8" birch plywood shelves. We freely load anything we want on the without any failures. If your closet is a lot wider (mine is 12") you might want to run an extra support across the middle. We have since added 3/8" aluminum angle across the front edges

Those side supports should be more than enough with the wire shelves. If not, you are putting to much weight on them anyway....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Bob that looks terrific. We just keep our pantry in a plastic bin in our tow vehicle but that looks so much more convenient.

We have a black bear problem so all food scents must be controlled.

What do you do with your clothing?

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
California

This is how I converted our hanging locker to a pantry. I used the adjustable shelf hangers from the hardware store, this allows the shelves to be adjustable. If you look close you can see four holes drilled in the center of each shelf, forming a square. I have pegged dividers that can either fit sideways or lengthwise to help keep items where they belong on the shelf. To keep the shelves in place I have screws in the clips that hold the shelves in place from underneath. I should mention that by running the metal shelf hangers the full length of the walls you can screw into both the upper and lower framework within the wall making a very secure attachment.
Tom Y
Bigfoot 5th wheel
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
WOW thank you guys. Some awesome ideas. I have GOT to start remembering the weight thing! ughhh I remember it in my shopping for items the camper needs to function but when working on it I forget weight issues. I'm still finding things along for the camper so when we get it ready to use I will be ready to go. PAST ready to go camping! lol

Thank you all again!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool We used these

Rubbermaid 72 in. Zinc E5 Upright-FG4B9200ZINC - The Home Depot

Four uprights and four clips per shelf.

Just pop riveted through the side walls.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
Bob that looks terrific. We just keep our pantry in a plastic bin in our tow vehicle but that looks so much more convenient.

We have a black bear problem so all food scents must be controlled.

What do you do with your clothing?

Linda
We removed the permanent loo and holding tank and replaced it with a Dometic 975 porta-potty on tracks. The upper section is now a 36" wide wardrobe with a full base shelf and a full width 1/2 shelf. Priceless in a Hunter. We also use in fitted bin each, that slide under the bed, for more intimate wear...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote