Shipping a Bag Awning? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Shipping a Bag Awning?

I found a 7' bag awning I want to buy in Pensacola, FL and would like to get it up the the Great Lakes area by mid July (e.g. Buffalo, NY or Detroit, MI). Longer if need be. From there I can get it across the border.

If I'm reading it right, anything over 84" is a no go with the couriers, postal system or bus system. 7' should equal 84" until it comes to bag awnings the bag is a few inches longer to hold the 7' rail. Uship estimates are almost 4X what it is worth.

I've made a few enquiries with Frugal Fiberglass Forwarding. Essentially asking member's I think might be travellilng from there to here or points between if they could help me out by carrying it part or all the way. That has not yet produced any results.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hi Roy. If you do a google search for "bag awning" there seem to be lots for sale, some with free shipping. Might try giving some a call and see how they ship? What the heck? Raz

Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
awning

Roy, does the header come apart? My A&E Shademaster was shipped USPS and had a joint in the centre of the header/ roller that simply bolted together. I think the package was 5ft. long and Canada Post delivered it from USPS no problem.

BTW, I took your posted advice on the Princess Auto LED tail-lights- just got them this week...it's my next project now that I have finished the re-upholstery of the cushions.
Cheers from Belleville...Alistair
Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #4

Ontario
Thanks Raz, good idea. I'll try calling the shippers too, maybe the limits are an online thing. I've read a lot of posts in the popup forums that say they got their 7'ers via USPS.

Alistair, the one I'm looking at does not. The Carefree ones used to do the same, I'm not sure if they do with the newer models. Hopefully some other members will pipe in.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

Ontario
Oh, that's very different ...

OH, do I feel stupid

I plugged the dimensions and weight into the USPS calculator again, only using US to US zip codes. Rather than trying to ship into Canada.
Lo and behold I can get it shipped to one of the members just across the border for less than $20 USD insured.

The problem is with Canada post. The limit up here on length is 2.0 M or 78 3/4", which is less than a 7' (or 86") awning.

One of my favourite TV lines fits this situation perfectly.

"Oh, that's very different ..."

Name:   emilylitellanevermind.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.0 KB
Gilda Radner playing Emily Litella on Saturday Night Live

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Raz

Vermont
For what it is worth, my postal carrier could no fit a 7 ' anything in here jeep. I would have to go to the post office to get it. I suspect your friends across the border will be in the same situation. An extra six pack might be appropriate. Raz
Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
I put an 8 foot awning on my friends 13' Scamp, and my 13' Bigfoot why limit yourself to 7'? shipped free from J.C. Whitney...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Raz, it's Roy's wife talking now. We've made use of these people for deliveries before. I can visualize myself BBQing some nice rib steaks already.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
I put an 8 foot awning on my friends 13' Scamp, and my 13' Bigfoot why limit yourself to 7'? shipped free from J.C. Whitney...
Hi Ken,
The 7' does not look bad on a boler, here is a link to what one looks like.
Boler Awning pictures by canobuilder_photos - Photobucket

Greg A. shows and describes his install here (includes pictures of yours):
Shademaker 8 foot Awning Install 13 Scamp

I think the former looks better than the latter from the side, open or closed. The 8' also extends out more than the 7'. The 7' looks more proportional to the trailer when open.

Considering that, I'd be real happy with a 7 1/2 foot for my boler. I'd probably put a 9' on my Trillium 4500

When you look up the awnings on JC Whitneys site, the 8' says:
* Due to item's weight and size, a surcharge will be added to the handling and freight costs.
That was $15 in the US.

Then when you go to their FAQ's

Yes, we ship most items in stock items that are not oversized to Canada.
... and goes on to say ...
For orders that are oversize or not in stock, you would need to provide a US address for shipping. An easy way to do this is to use a freight forwarder. We now offer the option to go through Bongo International in our checkout. Bongo International is a freight forwarder. If you'd like to learn more about Bongo, click the International link under the "Country" drop down while checking out.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Ann in TO View Post
Raz, it's Roy's wife talking now. We've made use of these people for deliveries before. I can visualize myself BBQing some nice rib steaks already.
Like they say " Behind every good man......."

Tags
awning