Short rigid shell awnings - seeking source - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Question Short rigid shell awnings - seeking source

I have a very tiny LiteHouse Trailer for 2. It currently has a Carefree of Colorado bag awning. The canopy is about 75" wide.
The awning is in OK shape for it's age but getting the awning back in the bag, and getting the zippers to work is becoming more of a PITA. I can probably find a replacement bag canopy, but on a recent trip, I saw a small camper with a hardshell case for the rolled up canopy.

Does anyone know of a source for a hardshell canopy of this approximate size?
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Shady Boy might be worth a look. The case is around 4' long, so you could use it on the side or the back. It opens out to 10'x6' and weighs only 14#.

The Awning – Shady Boy Trailer Awnings
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I completely cut off the "bag" part and now I just slide the awning's Keder welt into the track, sans bag. When I'm done, I just slide it out, fold it up and stow it. Takes up much less room and weighs less when "set free" from the bag.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I took of my carefree awning of the same size due to the end of the bag starting to rip. I replaced it with an 8 foot long Dometic awning. I had to take off the old rail and order an new rail with a 90 degree angle because the Dometic awning hung down a lot lower then the carefree and had to be installed further up on roof.
Also this awning went over the front and back curve of the Boler by about 3 inches but I just let it hang over into the air.
Instead of just a rivet in the last hole I could attach to the fiberglass I used a 1/4 bolt with a Fender washer on the inside toped off with an acorn nut.
Works great.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Carefree will repair or replace your bag. They are great to work with. Call them first, It will save you a bunch of money.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning