Should I buy an electric Fridge?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Should I buy an electric Fridge?!

The fridge in my Fiberstream is not working. I found a replacement that would basically fit, but it's 8 inches taller- I'd have to make some modifications to the upper cabinet. The cost is expensive, $600 for this 2 year old replacement fridge. Is this worth it? It is suggested by friends I buy an electric fridge and run it off the battery using a converter. What are anyone's thoughts on this? This could save me 100s of $.
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In an earlier rig I replaced our failed 3 way fridge with an 4.4 cubic foot electric fridge. The fridge cost about $120 at Lowes. I did run it off an Inverter. I will say it takes a 1200 watt Inverter. We bought the Inverter for $59 at a Black and Decker outlet. It's not that the fridge draws a lot of power but it takes a lot to start the compressor of the fridge.

Generally we did not run the AC fridge when towing. We also do not typically run our 3 way fridge while driving. Of course we only drive about 3-4 hours a day.

If it's really hot or we're going to drive a longer time, we ran the fridge on Inverter AC. On those occasions we keep the trailer's battery charged as we drive from the tow vehicle. When we had solar panels we kept it charged from the panels.

My recollection is that the battery could run the fridge for about a day depending on the weather and battery without charging the battery.

We liked the AC fridge due to it's volume.

Of course there are some trailers that are AC only and AC fridges.

Hope this helps,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cyndi, I'd say it's all about your camping style. Are you usually hooked up to power or boondock with a generator? If so, I'd say go for it. See if this link provides better prices/sizes for your application: Compact & Spacious Midsize Refrigerators, Fridges & Freezers By Avanti, Danby, Edgestar, Haier, Summit On Sale Now

Let us know your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our Egg Camper has a Norcold 12v compressor fridge. No idea about cost since it came with the trailer. Jim Palmer of Egg Camper says it will run UP TO 3 days on battery. Haven't tried that. It would depend on what other electrical use you'd have. Nice thing about it is it does NOT have to be level.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge