Should i paint subfloor? Has anyone installed vinyl floating flooring? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #1

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
Should i paint subfloor? Has anyone installed vinyl floating flooring?

I pulled all the carpet out of the scamp last night.. And I only found one spongy area that needs repaired in the rear corner (the leak was caused by a bad caulk seam along the aluminum exterior rib and a leaky 12v water pump.... 3 seconds and some silicone, and both leaks are fixed. ).. I am going to cut out and re-glass the 12in x12in rotted area. The rest of the floors are amazingly solid and water-stain free..

I am going to install a floating vinyl laminate floor (HD brand "allure"). Now the question is.... Should i coat/paint the floor with something before i install the flooring. My thoughts are the following..If there is a leak, or spill?? Wouldn't it be better to have a good moisture barrier to keep water from soaking in the OSB and compromising its structural integrity? I was debating coating the floor with fiberglass resin. But that seems like overkill, and to be honest... i don't want to be inside the scamp while that those chemicals are KICKING OFF. I already have a gallon of porch and floor paint (FLOOR-LEX) that has worked wonders on some of my home porch remodels. It withstands water and moisture, and it doesn't peel up. Does anyone see any downsides to painting the floor?

I also am going install some floor drains in all four corners,,, these will be recessed in the floor under dinette benches and bunk/couch base... These drains will be pvc pipe with a threaded drain cap.... (just in case there is a spill, leak, or faulty connection in water tank). I will be able to raise or lower the back/front, and all water will drain out.

I was also going to re-resin the underside of the scamp... Has anyone done this? Once again,,, my thoughts are that it will just seal anything up that needs re sealed..

and finally....

Has anyone installed a "floating floor" in a camper (i.e Allure vinyl laminate) I am debating whether i should glue it down, or let it float. Pinning it to the floor with some toe strip trim. This floating floor is to keep things from raising up during expansion and contraction from temperature fluctuations.

Thanks in advance for any info... Rookie here.
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Hi Kevin, I put an Allure floor in my last trailer and loved it. I didn't paint first, there was no need to and I didn't have to glue it down either. It was easy and looked good and I will put it in my new trailer this fall. Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #3

Kentucky
thats good news,,, because i already ordered it... I can't wait for it to arrive. It is going to make a huge difference. thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I cant see any down side to painting your floor first. I would certainly help if you developed moisture underneath the laminate from condensation caused buy the inside temp and the out side temp being different or in case of a leak.
I was thinking of puting the 2 part epoxy grage floor paint in my U-haul. The kind with the little flakes you sprinkle on after you role it on instead of a vinyl floor.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
My DH owned and operated a hardwood floor business and always advocated sealing the sub-floor! It can't hurt anything to do it!

Everytime we pulled carpet in any of our homes, whether carpet was going back in (usually not!) or another floor covering, we sealed the sub-floor. Just something we did.

It wasn't something he did for customer's unless sub-floor was super nasty but did recommend they do it themselfs.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When I install that type of floor in a trailer, I generally coat it with an industrial grade floor wax like RedMax. Two coats will seal the floor nicely and facilitate cleaning. It enhances and preserves the shine and is instantly restored by mopping the floor with an ounce of wax to a gallon of warm water.(instructions on the bottle)
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

Name: Erik
Trailer: '74 Scamp
Washington
We also installed an allure floor. I don't see the need to glue or tack it down, however a nice "baseboard" makes it look really nice. I also sealed my floor before I laid down new flooring. Just a personal perference.
Erik and Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
re doing the underside of the Scamp was covered here
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I paint any of the floor that is exposed and any that I expose. We have had a pipe come off spilling water on part of the floor. The unpainted OSB sucks it up while it seems to just sit on the painted OSB. If I owned the company it would all be painted.

As well I've painted the underneath simply using a spray paint. I had considered using a white truck bed liner paint but have not yet gotten to it. It does not seem that the floors rot from the bottom.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes !!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Paint it!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #12

Kentucky
its painted... and it is completely sealed up... thanks for the info. I feel better about installing the floor now that i know water won't saturate the osb from the inside. Thanks again. As soon as i get some time i will post pics of the remodel.. It is going great.. I love the simplicity of the scamp.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampline View Post
its painted... and it is completely sealed up... .

It isn't gonna hurt a thing haveing it sealed. So probably your best bet! Please do post pic's of your projects!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #14

Kentucky
I started a project thread... here is link.. (hope this works).

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post327299
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If I owned the company it would all be painted.
If I owned the company it wouldn't be OSB

Seriously, glad it was sealed up. Anything that keeps the water away can't hurt.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #16

Kentucky
i agree completely.... if they sealed them up from the factory?? there would be a lot less floor rot.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampline View Post
i agree completely.... if they sealed them up from the factory?? there would be a lot less floor rot.
Buy a new Lexus, leave it outside in the weather with the windows open about a 1/4". Drive it two weeks a year for 25 years, then check the floorpan... you'd think they'd build better cars for that kind of money, wouldn't ya?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint