Should I worry? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #1

Name: Marian
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Should I worry?

These cracks/fractures are along the top of my 1986 Casita. Do i need to do anything or just leave them alone? Thanks in advance!

not sure if I added the pictures correctly...helps to read instructions
Attached Thumbnails
casita 3.jpg   cracks.jpg  

Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
No pics came through on my end. Just white boxes where pics should be

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

Texas
figured it out thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Marian,
Do any of these cracks leak? Are you having any other problems?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Marian
Usually cracking gelcoat is not a big deal but in this location and trailer it needs your attention. You really need to pull the carpet up and inspect the upper inside corners of the door frame for cracks in the shell.
The upper door corners can become stress points in older 16 ft. Casita's. I have seen several trailers where the shell has actually failed in the upper door corner areas. The stress could be caused by a bad floor or in the trailer I dealt with the axle was dead.
The trailer was repaired with biaxal (sp) cloth glassed on the inside corners of the door frame to spread the stress load. If caught soon enough the outside repair and gelcoat repair can be kept under the door eyebrow and not be very noticeable.
Bottom line check for internal cracks around the door frame and repair as needed then figure out and repair what is stressing the shell.
Eddie
Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #6

Texas
Just bought the camper. To my knowledge it doesn't leak. I haven't had a chance to test it though. All the carpet has been ripped out. The floor seems solid by the door. Guess i need to youtube fiberglass repair and learn how to fix the problem! Any further advice is more than welcome!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
The photos look like you need more gelcoat repairs than fiberglass repairs. Gelcoat does not contribute to the structural integrity of the trailer. Gelcoat is more like thick paint. No immediate need to fix these and when they are repaired they will most likely reappear later. Check to make sure there is no structural problem and save any gelcoat work for later.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

Virginia
Marian
A quick check is to pull off your white trimloc in the upper corners of the door. You can see the edge of the shell. If you see cracks in the edge of the fiberglass you need to investigate it further.
Eddie
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #9

Texas
Thanks I'll try to do that this evening and post pics.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Hi Marian,

I wish I had pics right now...I'll look in my phone after this post, but I've got very similar issues with my 2012 Scamp. Lines/cracks look a lot like yours and they don't leak. Common stress point is the big hole there that makes door opening. Should say a weak area. Not sure exactly cause as my axle is great and perfect floor too. I can tell you my trailer was in an accident with prior owner. So u always assumed mine were due to tweaking and flexing during that event.

Also I noticed when I bought the trailer from the PO that he slammed the door rather than close it properly(the way I read about by doing my homework before even owning a scamp!). I shuddered and cringed as he did it several times, so u also postulated that his owning the trailer a year and constantly closing the door that way could also be the problem.

All I did was put captain tolleys creeping crack cure in them and called it a day. I'd love to get all properly repaired some day from a great local gelcoat man, but alas, no moolah.

If I can find pics of mine maybe it will make you feel better!

Cheers,
Wendy

Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #11

Texas
Definitely have a crack! See pics. Will get the axle/frame checked and repair the crack. Next question....
Attached Thumbnails
20141007_180130.jpg   20141007_175956.jpg  

Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #12

New York
Registry
So now I'm thinking I should inspect my crack better in spring. Us your pic from inside with carpet removed? Please let me know what route you go to repair and post pics. It can be so discouraging when problems end up being bigger than you imagined. For me anyway, as my skills only go so far then fixes cost money to get someone else to do.

Hang in there Marian! BTW my pics must be in home computer not on cell phone. I will find and post as promised.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #13

Virginia
First find a good boat repair shop. In the trailer I worked on, there was a seam in the carpet about a foot above the door. I went into the closet and cut the carpet a couple of inches from the wall. I then pulled the carpet down above the door to expose both corners of the door so the fiberglass guy can evaluate the crack. Even though the back corner may not be cracked you should glass in support in this area also at this time.
The worse part of the job is getting the carpet glue off the wall. The aluminum eyebrow over the outside of the door will also need to be removed. Since the crack goes all the way through the shell, both sides will have to be worked. The eyebrow helps hide any flaws in the repair job. I ordered a new eyebrow from Casita. It was longer and extended over light fixture. The good thing was all the eyebrow holes lined up except for one which had to be filled. Be prepared for a $300-$600 bill for the fiberglass repair job. Make sure the fiberglass guy is aware the trimloc has to be installed on the door frame edge or he may build up the edge too thick in the repair process to get the trimloc back on.
Good luck
Eddie
Old 10-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #14

Texas
Wendy Lee,
One is from the inside without the carpet and one is from the outside. The PO removed all the carpet so I'm in the process of covering the walls with reflectix. Coming along quite well.

Eddie,
Thanks, I have a body guy here in town that's real good with fiberglass so hopefully it won't cost me quite so much!