Shower drain on spirit deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Shower drain on spirit deluxe

What is the fix to remove the need to go outside and open the shower drain😤?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
What is the fix to remove the need to go outside and open the shower drain��?
Frank,

On the newer model Casitas (since some point in 2008) the valve is rotated to a vertical position and there is an extended handle within the closet. I don't recall seeing photos of this being done as a retrofit but it seems like it should be feasible if the motivation is there.

The common approach is to install a Hepvo valve which eliminates the P trap and the gate valve too. Here's a link to Don Dayton's step-by-step pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/833439...744920/detail/

You can also Google for "Hepvo valve mod" to read various posts on the Casita and FGRV forums.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a link to the parts needed from Larry Gamble's site.

Store | Little House Customs
Old 03-04-2017, 05:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have seen in a local RV catalog a cable system that can be retro fitted into the camper. Made by Lasalle Bristol called a cable waste valve
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Here is a link to the parts needed from Larry Gamble's site.

Store | Little House Customs
I agree with Tom , go to LHC . There is no reason to reinvent the wheel when Larry has it all figured out. The hepvo eliminates the trap and the manual valve .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I also agree and after going to The LHC site You can either order the excellent kit with step by step instructions that Larry has put together as a very easy DYI project. or take the trip to Texas and have Larry and his staff install it.
I've actually done two of them myself and can testify to the ease and the benefit.

BTW, another option would be to order the kit and have a local plumber install it. I don't know of anyone who's gone that route, but any qualified plumber could do it.

Walt
Old 03-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Frank,

On the newer model Casitas (since some point in 2008) the valve is rotated to a vertical position and there is an extended handle within the closet. I don't recall seeing photos of this being done as a retrofit but it seems like it should be feasible if the motivation is there.

The common approach is to install a Hepvo valve which eliminates the P trap and the gate valve too. Here's a link to Don Dayton's step-by-step pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/833439...744920/detail/

You can also Google for "Hepvo valve mod" to read various posts on the Casita and FGRV forums.
Seems if there's no p-trap the smell would come up from the holding tank. What prevents this? Also if we leave our handle open the water splashes from the tank into the shower when the tank has water in it. What prevents this? We'd love to not have to go out and pull the handle either but it is there for the 2 afore mentioned reasons. Plus we have to pull that handle to help drain the tank for air pressure reasons.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
The construction of the HepVo assembly incorporates a one-way rubber bladder which allows the water to flow out but re-collapses to prevent back-flow or nasty odors from coming back up through the drain. Rather than reinventing the wheel so to speak, you can read all about it here.

Hepvo Waterless Valve
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

SW Virginia
Forgot to add that about three years ago, Casita incorporated the Hepvo mod into all their new trailers. No more shower p-trap and no more shower blade valve. A major, major upgrade.

Walt
Old 03-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The construction of the HepVo assembly incorporates a one-way rubber bladder which allows the water to flow out but re-collapses to prevent back-flow or nasty odors from coming back up through the drain. Rather than reinventing the wheel so to speak, you can read all about it here.

Hepvo Waterless Valve
Thank you. This answers all my questions. I like the idea of not opening a handle and not having water in a P-trap to freeze. That happened to us once and we drove hundreds of miles dripping water all the way. Just now read another quote that Casita now uses these.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

SW Virginia
BTW, this thread reminded me of something that's been on my mind for some time. So many times issues on the forum would benefit considerably if the model and year of a trailer was included in the profile. I've seen how helpful that can be on casitaforum.com where that is the standard.

Walt
Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #12

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
SHOWER DRAIN

I have a 94 casita with the shower drain valve outside. I leave the valve open and put a stopper in the shower that I can open or close. The stopper in the shower pan is my drain valve.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
While on the Hepvo subject, Larry at Little House Customs also makes a Hepvo kit for the galley sink drain as well. I installed one to get rid of the P trap under the sink and moving the drain line over to the wall by the fridge. It allowed me to install a shelf under the sink without that P trap in the way. It is a nice deep shelf which I use to store long things like tin foil, saran wrap, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
casitamarch 004.JPG   casitamarch 007.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #14

SW Virginia
I did the same mod on my '94. The added storage was very helpful.

Walt
Old 03-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #15

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Confused on the Hepvo valve. I just bought a 2015 17' LD a couple of days ago. Do I need to install this or has Casita taken care of it in the last few years? The T handle valve in the closet has me wondering. Thanks, dmad1
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Confused on the Hepvo valve. I just bought a 2015 17' LD a couple of days ago. Do I need to install this or has Casita taken care of it in the last few years? The T handle valve in the closet has me wondering. Thanks, dmad1
If you have the valve handle in the front closet ,valve and shower trap , you don't have the Hepvo . If you have the hepvo there is no need for the valve , handle or trap . Look under your trailer it will be obvious if you have the Hepvo.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita