Shower Faucet vacuum breaker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I am now far more familiar with my shower facet than I ever cared to be. While chasing a leak, I have come across something called a vacuum breaker, in the shower hose. What it is supposed to do is prevent back-flow into your fresh water system. What it does is leak profusely whenever the shower is on; which, I understand, is how it normally functions. Is this annoyance necessary? What will happen if I replace it with a straight fitting? Please and thank you.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
This article looks really interesting and may address your problem!

Free yourself from a dribbling RV Shower

Regards,

Matt
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Cam,

The purpose is well meant generally, it prevents contaminated water entering the fresh water supply, I remove them myself and use a check valve after the pump with a pressure reducer, this keeps water after the tank from moving towards the tank rapidly.

Its over kill if you ask me any of these strategies and is based on the premise you will not maintain the system or understand it so you must be protected from yourself.

If the shower head laid on the floor too long and if the gray water system bacteria made its way to the hand shower nozzle the vacuum breaker will block the path for bacteria if that cheap plastic Chi---e made crap works...However as cheap as its made its 50/50 it does anything.

Its a device a manufacturer must use to get the required safety ratings, they have no choice...Trade associations and health departments work in concert with insurance data bases to coordinate strategies to mitigate risks.

Once its installed, then its up to you to maintain it and on your head if removed...if it fails prove it? If you prove anything try to collect damages? When your 90 years old the check arbitrated to 100th the actual damages might arrive on a leap year.

I would do as I please within reasonable boundaries... I sanitize my tanks before every camp out as good stewardship of my rig.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote