Silencing the Harbor freight Predator Inverter Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #1

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Silencing the Harbor freight Predator Inverter Generator

I have had several ask how I made the Harbor Freight inverter generator quieter.
The noise level is sightly higher than the Honda Eu2000 uit.
We have several of the Hondas at work along with the HF Predator and we have compared them side by side several times.
I saw a web posting on silencing the Harbor Freight unit by doing something about the noise coming from the carburetor which is closely coupled to the intake valve.
The pulsations from the intake is the most noticeable "rap" to the sound pattern.
The fix ix to look at the air cleaner and see how it is made.
The plastic box just has a layer of filter foam laid in it to get the dirt out of the airflow.
This filter does little if anything about this pulsations and the bottom is open where the air comes in.
What was done was the bottom was sealed with a piece of stiff rubber with 4 holes cut in it.
The holes have four small tubes installed almost to the end of the air cleaner box. These tubes act like baffles to help with the pulses. These tubes are about 3/4" od and can be plastic. The four of them flow enough air for the generator and I can notice no running difference.
I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take some. I have some from the original post at work, but I can't seem to be able to search that out here and now.
The result is a generator that on the APP for my Note II reads the same as the Honda at the same power level.
Of course we can't compare at the max output of the HF Generator, but it doesn't seem any louder under those conditions.
The drawback is the HF reputation and the greater weight.
There does not seem to be a big difference in the reliability so far.
0 problems / run times for each is the same "Number" for both.
$445 delivered vs more money for the Honda means you have to make some allowances.
My advice is to add one of those hour meters like I did and change the oil regularly.
Run in the generator for about 10 hours and then drain and install a good quality synthetic oil.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 16 Ft layout 6
Wisconsin
Silencing the Harbor freight Predator Inverter Generator

Nice job. If you have a cell phone that allows apps to be put on it there is a sound level meter on the play store. Down load and you can then measure the sound level between the different generators. Might be interesting to compare. Cheers
Jim in De Pere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #3

Florida
I took some pictures, but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to upload them.
The upload button seems to be missing from the user CP pictures and albums page for me. Maybe I have already uploaded too many?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Name: brian
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Connecticut
plez post pics

pic plez
itswhatyouvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Florida
I don't seem to have the option to upload pictures. I get a notice that I don'r belong to a group and not a choice to upload any pics.
I will post some if I can figure it out!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
You can add pictures to any post you write by clicking the "attachment" icon (paper clip) in the header of the text box, or clicking the "insert image" icon on the line below the paper clip.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

Florida
Here are some pictures.
If I modify this again I would leave out the cutouts in the middle of the tubes.
The idea is to have something to damp out the rap from the intake right next to the intake valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160417_115853.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	94363

Name:	20160417_120001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	94364

Name:	20160417_120039.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	94365

It might help to drill lots of small holes near the end away from the bottom of the filter box and plug the inner end and let the ait come in all of the small holes.

Tags
generator