Silicone Removal ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Silicone Removal ?

OK I have some projects ahead of me sometime this summer. One is silicone removal, a re-rivet job, and reset all of the windows. So I have to scrape some of this silicone off, now what does everyone use to clean up the fiberglass after scraping off what you can? I'm thinking denatured alcohol ? I did try a look through some older post, but didn't have any luck.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
OK I have some projects ahead of me sometime this summer. One is silicone removal, a re-rivet job, and reset all of the windows. So I have to scrape some of this silicone off, now what does everyone use to clean up the fiberglass after scraping off what you can? I'm thinking denatured alcohol ? I did try a look through some older post, but didn't have any luck.

I just ran SCREAMING OUT THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Silcone is the most GOD AWFUL stuff I've ever had to deal with.. I've redone more than 16 of these trailers and have removed a truckload of the stuff, the one I'm working on now has 198 tubes of the stuff on it..in some places it's over 2" deep and the only conclusion I've come up with is to scrape, scrape, scrape scrape and then sand, look where you sanded and you will be able to see the little traces of the DEVIL'S SEED left behind the sanding, so its back to scraping again because you can sand the stuff off you'll sand through the fiberglass before the silcone will turn loose..The only solvent I found is elbow greese..Good luck and try NOT to pull your hair out....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Googone or it's equivalent seems to work very well for simple removal but if you want to paint , you might try polycracker after a thorough cleaning and before paint.

R & E Paint Supply. Polycracker , The Professional Prep Wash Solution
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Plastic scraper (pushed like a chisel and if you wish given a single-bevel edge like a chisel). Plastic laminate (Formica is the proprietary name everyone remembers) sawn up in say 2" x 4" tickets fit my hand pretty well. ScotchBrite and Bestine combine a slight abrasive and slight solvent action. Bestine is very volatile and not kind to brain cells but if you have more than 100 of those and only work on the exterior, you'll probably have a 75 left when you finish. Hint: When pushing that plastic "chisel" use a slight skewing action to sort of cut or sever the plastic salamander from its perch on the polyester.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Silcone is the most GOD AWFUL stuff I've ever had to deal with.. I've redone more than 16 of these trailers and have removed a truckload of the stuff, the one I'm working on now has 198 tubes of the stuff on it..in some places it's over 2" deep and the only conclusion I've come up with is to scrape, scrape, scrape scrape and then sand, look where you sanded and you will be able to see the little traces of the DEVIL'S SEED left behind the sanding, so its back to scraping again because you can sand the stuff off you'll sand through the fiberglass before the silcone will turn loose..The only solvent I found is elbow greese..Good luck and try NOT to pull your hair out....
Mine fortunately isn't that deep, looks to be only one layer around the windows, and on the rivets. I'm pulling the windows anyway so I'll tackle each window as I pull them out. And the rivets I'm replacing too so after I drill each one then I'll scape off any that's on around where the rivet was. I have seen trailers where it was really on thick, but this isn't the case, and I'm not planning on painting. The trailer is in very good shape and not used much by the previous owner. But the rear window did leak and I'm sure it was used as a quick fix.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
It really ain't the thickness, it's the fact that it be there at all. On our trailer, the previous owner seemed to have stock in the company that makes this stuff. If the glass is smooth, I carefully scrape with a razor blade then rub my dirty hands on it and bingo, it's still there. Repeat. Then repeat. Then repeat. Then repeat. Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.Then repeat.
Jeff Johannsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Aliner
Floyd, I just took a look at your link. I had never heard of that product. Sure would have loved to have it for some previous projects I struggled with.

I've got it bookmarked for future reference. Thanks!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the comments suggestions , Floyd that's the stuff I was really looking for. I'm not planning on painting but I'll probably use polycracker just the same to get the silicone film off the fiberglass.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
I'll second Goo Gone, to doing a pretty good job. Takes off that nasty film that is so hard to get rid of. Hopefully it's not doing anything worse to the paint, but I can't find anything else that works as well.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
I'll second Goo Gone, to doing a pretty good job. Takes off that nasty film that is so hard to get rid of. Hopefully it's not doing anything worse to the paint, but I can't find anything else that works as well.
Thanks Luke, I will try that first and that may be all I need. But if I need something more I'll go with the polycracker and I can get it local. Thanks to Floyd for that recommendation .
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Luke, I will try that first and that may be all I need. But if I need something more I'll go with the polycracker and I can get it local. Thanks to Floyd for that recommendation .
You've got to "think" the silicone is gone before you use the Polycracker. It really only removes or neutralizes the silicone which is "soaked in" to the gelcoat, so that you could clean, wax or paint the cleaned surface.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You've got to "think" the silicone is gone before you use the Polycracker. It really only removes or neutralizes the silicone which is "soaked in" to the gelcoat, so that you could clean, wax or paint the cleaned surface.
Got it . Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I just did a quick Google search for "silicone removal" and both McKanica and DOW make removal compounds. Have any of you tried these (or similar) commercial products?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote