Silicone Remover? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #61

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I have been s l o w l y remvoving silicone. Does the belly band need resealing after removal or can it just be left "naked"?!
I removed belly band on my scamp over the summer. Belly band "should" be cosmetic, not a seal. The top and bottom half of the shell are fiberglassed together on the inside to seal. The belly band just covers the ragged lip of the top and bottom pieces for looks. BUT.... my belly seam did have a small leak I found using a watering can so I removed the band and caulked and coated the seam under the band using adhesive marine caulk.

Replaced the band after the caulk was fully dry and set.

I think it was easier to get all the old caulk cleaned up with the band off so once I had enough caulk off to remove band that is what I did.

It was pretty easy to remove belly band, and easy to polish belly band while off, did have a couple of rivets sort of hidden in the door frame that needed to be removed. Band ends in a tab in the door frame.

Oh and it's a good idea to put a couple layers of masking tape on the side of the rivet gun when you rivet the band back on. To keep the side of the rivet gun from scratching the side of the camper.

Some people put a small bead of caulk along the top of the belly band to keep dirt from accumulating in that seam. Not sure the best caulk to use for that. Do know you don't want to do it on a hot sunny day because the caulk sets too fast (don't ask!)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #62

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I hate to beat a dead horse but we're going to look for some DAP and we're wondering what's best to use in its place. Most of our rivet caps and the plastic pieces they snap to are destroyed by sun. We don't want to re-rivet the whole thing just for this and thought we could just "glue" the caps over the rivets. Any suggestion on what we should use would be much appreciated. Is rubber butyl the most common choice?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #63

Name: JD
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Maryland
Registry
DAP - Silicone-Be-Gone - Gone

Just confirmed with the company here in Baltimore that this product is discontinued and any remaining on shelves at this point should not be sold because it would be out-of-date by a number of years.

Dave in Baltimore "DAP CITY"
JD1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #64

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I think "silicone- be- gone" is the best remover. Have used it after many other products on a mountain of old Silicon and glue. It must sit for a while before scraping it off. I found it on Ebay. They do not sell it anymore in the big box stores. Even if it's old it works, at least the two bottles I bought did.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I read on a DIY forum that one can mix mineral spirits with talcum powder to make a paste, apply it to the silicone, then cover with plastic wrap. I have not tried it.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #66

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I read on a DIY forum that one can mix mineral spirits with talcum powder to make a paste, apply it to the silicone, then cover with plastic wrap. I have not tried it.
SOMEONE has to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, please, please let ALL of us know how it works MOST of us aren't looking for an instant solution, just SOMETHING that works!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
SOMEONE has to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, please, please let ALL of us know how it works MOST of us aren't looking for an instant solution, just SOMETHING that works!
This was posted by a chemist.
It assumes that you have removed as much silicone as possible with a sharp piece of plastic. Evidently they actually make plastic razor blades for this kind of work.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
I hate to beat a dead horse but we're going to look for some DAP and we're wondering what's best to use in its place. Most of our rivet caps and the plastic pieces they snap to are destroyed by sun. We don't want to re-rivet the whole thing just for this and thought we could just "glue" the caps over the rivets. Any suggestion on what we should use would be much appreciated. Is rubber butyl the most common choice?
I understand why you want to glue them on... I'd use:
Proflex caulking sealer
Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #69

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Evidently they actually make plastic razor blades for this kind of work.
Yes, they do...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-25054.html
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #70

Registry
I've had trouble finding the DAP, even on eBay but it looks like a place in Canada called Canadian Tire may have it available. Anyone up north willing to buy a few bottles to send to a friendly (and ever so THANKFUL) neighbor to the south?

In other news, I tried the McKanica Silicone Caulk Remover Gel and it definitely softens some types of caulk a little but doesn't have a mind blowing effect. We have some more on there now to see if maybe I didn't apply it liberally enough....

If anyone would be willing to pick up some DAP for me, the Canadian Tire product number is 67-0809-0.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #71

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can buy it on-line, can't you? CT should ship.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You can buy it on-line, can't you? CT should ship.
I thought I'd try that but I didn't see a way to add to a cart. I'll look again. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #73

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Goo Gone will remove silicone.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #74

Registry
Quote:

I thought I'd try that but I didn't see a way to add to a cart. I'll look again. Thanks for the tip.
Just called their hot line and the gentleman I spoke with said that online purchases will not be possible for a few months. He also could not take and order over the phone so I'm left with calling a store. The only problem might be that they can't ship/sell to the States. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #75

Registry
Quote:

Just called their hot line and the gentleman I spoke with said that online purchases will not be possible for a few months. He also could not take and order over the phone so I'm left with calling a store. The only problem might be that they can't ship/sell to the States. Any thoughts on this?
Called a store in Calgary and the manager is going to try to work something out on Tuesday. The problem is that they don't really have a way to accept payment except in person. She's thinking I could fax my DL to her for proof that I am who I say I am. Anyways, I'll keep everyone posted as to my level of success.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Goo Gone will remove silicone.
Thanks for the tip -- I'll look into getting some of that!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #77

Quote:
Thanks for the tip -- I'll look into getting some of that!
Please report back on your findings.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #78

Yes, we want to know if you find Go Gone to be helpful. It didn't work for me. I think I've tried every "normal" chemical known to man. Everything from acetone to WD40 to mineral spirits ...
Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have successfully used Goof Off (or Goo Gone, just another brand) to remove silicone residue. We have to do this a lot when recaulking bathtubs and other fixtures. You do first have to remove as much as possible without damaging the substrate, but you smear in on, and a short while later go at it and rub the residue off with a clean cloth (not paper towel).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #80

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have successfully used Goof Off (or Goo Gone, just another brand) to remove silicone residue. We have to do this a lot when recaulking bathtubs and other fixtures. You do first have to remove as much as possible without damaging the substrate, but you smear in on, and a short while later go at it and rub the residue off with a clean cloth (not paper towel).
I usually drape paper towel over silicone residue after removing as much as possible without scratching. Then I wet the towel with Goo Gone and let it sit for several mins. It will remove in time.
Goof Off and Goo Gone contain different contents. Goof Off may contain thinners. Goo Gone is just citrus. I'd stick with citrus.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote