Silicone Remover? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #81

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I usually scrape the bulk of it off then use Tumbler with a scrubbie. I've been using it for over 20 years with great results. When I paint over an area that was contaminated with silicone and the paint goes on without any problem it must have done a pretty good job at removing traces of silicone.

I also routinely use it to wipe down anything that I'm going to paint.
Attached Thumbnails
14-08-2013 11-22-35 PM  01_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #82

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
On a side note, I know I've read the reasons but can someone condense them into a short list why we should prefer to use butyl rubber instead of silicone products to redo the beads?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #83

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
..but can someone condense them into a short list why we should prefer to use butyl rubber instead of silicone products to redo the beads?
Short list? How about:

Silicone is a temporary fix that can turn into a permanent problem!

Nothing sticks to silicone, except silicone.

So... that means... once it is used... unless you get it ALL off, you'll continue to have problems.

Paint and silicone don't mix. A trailer that has had silicone applied, will need special care to prevent fish eye in the paint.

And on and on and on....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #84

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Steve and Rosemary - please check your PM and respond, thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #85

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Well, I tried goo gone tonight and had no luck.

I am trying to replace the seal between the PVC support for my awning and the body of the camper. I scraped off as much as I could then applied goo gone. It didn't make a dent in the silicone after sitting for 10 mins or so. The stuff is very runny, so it's possible that not enough stuck. To enable it to work any magic on the silicone.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #86

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have 2 bottles of Dap Silicone Be Gone that I picked up for another forum member 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately they are now MIA so if someone else wants it please PM me. It was $7.83 a bottle including our sales tax then whatever shipping would be.
Disclaimer - I have never used it so am not making any claims to its effectiveness!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #87

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Goof Off & Goo Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I usually drape paper towel over silicone residue after removing as much as possible without scratching. Then I wet the towel with Goo Gone and let it sit for several mins. It will remove in time.
Goof Off and Goo Gone contain different contents. Goof Off may contain thinners. Goo Gone is just citrus. I'd stick with citrus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check the MSDS sheets to find out what's really in this stuff:

Goof-Off, primary ingredient: Acetone

Goo-Gone: Primary Ingredient: Up 95% Petroleum Distillates, 1% to 5% citrus extract.

Google: (Product) MSDS

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #88

Name: Monte
Trailer: Stratus
Texas
Silicone remover

The trick must be the 3hr wait time. I'm using the Lift off and the Be Gone. It does little in the 15 minutes I wait. Works better if all excess silicone is cut away. Also it is hard to make it work on small grooves. Flat surfaces are easier to remove with a flat razor knife after using the products...I find the Lift off easier to apply with a tooth brush. It is a thick gel and goops on the brush when dipped in the bottle.
I have about 40 feet to work on...under the awning top rail where there is a snap over vinyl screw cover. Previous owner attempted to seal the vinyl trim and not the aluminum extrusion under it. The lift off product is working better on cleaning silicone residue from the long vinyl molded trim...won't have to purchase new.
Monte Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #89

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Jones View Post
The trick must be the 3hr wait time. I'm using the Lift off and the Be Gone. It does little in the 15 minutes I wait. Works better if all excess silicone is cut away. .
If your using the DAP product the longer you leave it the better. When I pulled my escape hatch to reseal it I ended up putting a good layer of dap over the edges and left it on for about 10 hours (over night) it cleaned up well the next morning.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #90

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Does anyone know where I can get the DAP product in the States? Home Depot no longer carries it and it's not available at either Lowes or Amazon. I have a new-to-me 2001 Scamp 13, and it's loaded with Silicone that's turning a nice shade of grey.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #91

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
silicone remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the DAP product in the States? Home Depot no longer carries it and it's not available at either Lowes or Amazon. I have a new-to-me 2001 Scamp 13, and it's loaded with Silicone that's turning a nice shade of grey.
To clean silicone use mineral spirits. To remove it use WD40 or zippo lighter fluid.
CS
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #92

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The big box stores dont have much old supply so best to look at some small hardware stores for old stock.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #93

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Thank you! You are all collectively an amazing resource. More questions to come on the Scamp from a former Boler owner.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #94

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
To clean silicone use mineral spirits. To remove it use WD40 or zippo lighter fluid.
CS
Oops, be careful using the lighter fluid as a cleaner on fiberglass. A swipe with a dry cloth across fiberglass can result in a static spark and.... BOOM. Ditto for any flammable solvents.

I once had a graphic artist do just than when cleaning her work table and 2nd degrees burns were the result.

Hmmmm.... This came up in my email as a current thread. Someone must have deleted a reply.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #95

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Has anyone tried a product called "Tumblr" that comes in a spray can? I used it when removing all the silicone around one of my windows when doing and R & R this year and it worked better than the Silicone B-Gone.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #96

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I've looked for it at our local Ace with no success.
They do carry De-Solv-It, Contractors Solvent which works well on silicone.
Just discovered the De-Solv-It & it works. Kinda hard to find & is very expensive some places but is available at Ace Hdw for around $10-$15 or so. Like most other silicone removal regents is is best to remove as much of the 'cured' silicone as possible, then spray on the De-Solv-It. The ordinary De-Solv-It works well but there is a formula made for Contractors that may be stronger & probably work better...
Attached Thumbnails
ds10497f.jpg   De-Solv-it.jpg  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #97

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
The "Tumblr" spray is around $12 and I found it at an automotive supply shop.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #98

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
The "Tumblr" spray is around $12 and I found it at an automotive supply shop.
Thank you. I haven't looked for the Tumblr yet as the De-Solv-It worked well for me. I'll give it a try when I need more...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote