Silicone Remover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Silicone Remover?

Just picked up a bottle of DAP brand Silicone Sealant Remover, called Silicone-Be-Gone.

I'll report back later after I try it out - right now it is just "a teensy bit damp" outside.

When the rains stop and things dry off, I'll try it on some silly-coned stuff a PO did and we'll see if this stuff is worth the powder of if I wasted 8 bux.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, after your post in Forum Admin, News & Announcements, I scooped this product name Mckanica Silicone Caulk Remover Gel" and checked it out: Amazon.com: Mckanica Silicone Caulk Remover Gel: Home Improvement I always read the recommendations and this one really caught my eye:

"I ordered the Mckanica silicone caulk remover to remove silicon caulk a prior owner of my RV slathered all over the seams. It was impossible to get the caulk off using mechanical methods, boy did I try. The area of the RV I did a test application on was a seam between a painted metal flashing and the fiberglass side wall. The Mckanica is a gel and comes in a caulking tube. After squeezing a little bit out on a plastic tray I applied it to the silicone slathered seam. After a few hours I came back and wow the Mckanica just melted the silicone. You could literally wipe the silicone away with a cloth with no silicone left behind. The Mckanica also did not affect the paint on the metal flashing, an added bonus. Great product, will be ordering more soon."

But at $18 for 12 oz, I'm curious if what you're trying works as well and for less $. So, yes please... let us know.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Yep, I'll be following this with interest. The 'belly band' seam on my Trillium is filled with painted silicone like material (didn't think paint would stick to silicone but it has on this stuff, sort of). Need to get that stuff out before I fill the seam with epoxy for painting.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #4

British Columbia
More brands of Silly-cone remover?

I have also found TWO more brands! One is by 3M (for the trivia fans - do you know what the 3 M's stand for?)

The 3M product is called Caulk Remover and claims to work on ALL kinds of caulk - says it softens caulk for easy removal. $6.49 at Hardware Sales Inc in Bellingham, Wa this afternoon

The other, also from Hardware Sales, cost $5.99 at the checkout, and is called Motsenbocker's Lift Off. There are the little German pair of dots over each of the O's in Motsenbocker's. Neither Home Despot nor Lowes carry anything and I ran out of time before my meeting so I could not check Ace or True Value Hardware
Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #5

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have also found TWO more brands! One is by 3M (for the trivia fans - do you know what the 3 M's stand for?)

The 3M product is called Caulk Remover and claims to work on ALL kinds of caulk - says it softens caulk for easy removal. $6.49 at Hardware Sales Inc in Bellingham, Wa this afternoon

The other, also from Hardware Sales, cost $5.99 at the checkout, and is called Motsenbocker's Lift Off. There are the little German pair of dots over each of the O's in Motsenbocker's. Neither Home Despot nor Lowes carry anything and I ran out of time before my meeting so I could not check Ace or True Value Hardware
I think I remember Minnesota & Mining, can't remember what the other 'M' was for...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
...and Manufacturing. I think.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

British Columbia
Yup - those are the 3 M's
Old 04-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #8

British Columbia
Tests of Silicone removers (long)

TEST OF SILICONE CAULK REMOVERS

BRANDS TESTED :
DAP Silicone-Be-Gone,
3M Caulk Remover
Motsenbocker's Lift-Off - Caulk, Silicone and Foam Sealant Remover
Control-test: White vinegar (Silicone caulk is generally based on acetic acid - vinegar - which you can strongly smell when using the stuff )

Test conditions: Bright sunshine, temperature: plus 15 degrees (Celsius) Humidity 60%, zero wind
Test Subject: 1999 Bigfoot model 25B21RB (21 footer) with silicone applied (no idea how many years ago) around clearance lights, windows and tail lights, as well as access doors and hatches
Notes: The DAP Silicone-Be-Gone is in a white 90ml plastic bottle, on a blister-pack card, with an applicator brush provided. It is a thick gel, appears dark brown in the jar, and is a pinkish-brown on application to a white surface.
The 3M Caulk Remover is a 8 oz (236 ml) squeeze bottle with a flip-top cap. It specifically says that it works on ALL caulks, and "softens caulk for easy removal" Not on a card - is a stand-alone bottle on a shelf at the store. It is a white liquid that runs very easily when applied to vertical surfaces.
The Motsenbocker's Caulk, Silicone and Foam Sealant Remover is a 4.5 oz (125 ml) squeeze bottle with a flip top, also on a card, but not a "blister pack" It is a clear liquid gel, applies easily, stays in place fairly well. Brush-on proved to be the best method of application.
White vinegar (used as a control substance for this test) can be found everywhere in grocery stores and costs far less per gallon than any of these products do for a small bottle.
NOT TESTED: McKanica Silicone remover (I had a bottle of it, which has somehow vanished and I did not want to delay the tests any further. Several folks are apparently awaiting results so I pressed on.)
All were applied following package directions exactly. the DAP and 3M were applied and allowed to sit for 3 hours before any rubbing or wiping was done. The Motsenbocker's was applied and allowed to sit for 3 MINUTES (not hours!!) and then rubbed with an old toothbrush, then scraped with a plastic spatula, then wiped with a clean white terry cloth.

RESULTS:
Control solvent: White Vinegar did not do anything at all. Oh well........
Motsenbocker's
I did not have high hopes for the Motsenbocker's as it was labelled as being "Certified Green, biodegradable and water-based", while silicone caulk itself is anything but - so somehow I had the idea that anything short of thermonuclear solutions would be ineffective against silicone caulk.
I was therefore very pleasantly surprised to find that two applications, scrubbing with an old tooth brush after 3 minutes each time, and then scraping with an old plastic spatula resulted in removal of most of the excess silicone around one of my windows. However, some residue remained that neither repeated applications of Motsenbocker's nor scrubbing with a toothbrush soaked in Motsenbocker's made any progress on. A razor blade was then employed, followed by a lengthy and vigorous scrub with a 3M 'white abrasive pad' and Barkeeper's Friend , with ultimately satisfactory results. This is, of course the reason why so many folks on here HATE silicone caulk - you cannot get it to stick onto fibreglass unless you want it to (then it comes off easily!) , you cannot get the residue off and you can't put anything on over it!
Motsenbocker's Score:

Ease of use: A
Effectiveness: C (sticky residue remained)
Time required: 3 min

3M
Save your money. Although not tested against plain water, it can be confidently expected that the results would be very similar. No effects could be found where it had been applied. Thinking "It CAN"T be THAT bad, can it?", it was re-applied and again allowed to sit - this time for 2 hours. Same result.
It CAN be that bad. It is.
3 M Score:

Ease of application: A
Effectiveness: (Are there any scores below F minus?)
Time required ??????

DAP Silicone-Be-Gone
If all silicone removers worked this well, there would not be anywhere as much hatred for silicone caulk.
Brush it on, using the supplied brush. Let it sit for 3 hours. Come back with a thin plastic spatula, and scrape off the (now jellied) caulk. Wash and dry with clean cloths. Look for any trace of any residue. There was none. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, based on the results of this test (YMMV)
DAP Score:

Ease of application: A+
Effectiveness A++
Time required 3 hrs
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Excellent, excellent write up Dave. Thanks so much for adding to the knowledge of this group! If you should come across the Mckanica Silicone Caulk Remover, I'd really appreciate hearing your opinion of that brand as well... for that just-in-case time a person can find one brand, but not the other.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I will be off to Home Depot for some DAP now.

Its Karma for them..ever try to remove ANY DAP caulking product? Its worse and messier than silicone.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Outstanding write up.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #12

Arkansas
Thanks for that Dave. Just checked, Lowes about 10mi from me is a DAP dealer, as is a local Hardware store couple of miles down the road. I'll check them this week.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

British Columbia
I never even looked for the DAP Slicone-Be-Gone caulk remover at Home Despot or at Lowes, but had no problem finding it (at $5.99 per bottle) in my local Co-Op centre (Otter Co-Op in Aldergrove, BC)
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #14

Arkansas
As they say on the DAP website, not all dealers carry every product so I'll hafta check at the stores but I betcha I'll find it somewhere nearby. Was really dreading trying to remove all that stuff from the seam on the Trillium; now perhaps not so much...
Old 04-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #15

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
Well you can put that on my short list..Thanks
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #16

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
thanks

it is not warm enough to get my trailer out of storage yet but in a few weeks if all this snow melts this is going to save me a ton of work

thank you

alan
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #17

British Columbia
After doing several different spots on mine yesterday with the 3 types of remover, I am now (it is on - waiting for two more hours as we 'speak") using the DAP and doing all the other places where there is visible silly-cone on my Bigfoot, including the spots where the 3M had failed so miserably.

I'll bring a (half-used) bottle of the DAP brand to the spring NOG to demonstrate it. No I am not associated with DAP, - I don't even own shares in it! Just thot that when we find something that actually WORKS! - the news should be spread around.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #18

Sounds great Dave. Be sure to have a spot on your trailer to demonstrate it. I've already scrapped that Devil's goop off my trailer... and lost both thumbnails in the process!

Now, I'd still say... even through Dave's effort of finding something that works to remove silicone on molded trailers... don't apply silicone just because there's something available to get rid of it. There are much better caulking solutions available! Silicone is only a temporary fix!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #19

British Columbia
Oh, I figure someone will have a good glop or two of that bleep on their rigs to be used as a demo project.. (Volunteers needed?) Think of it as a tutorial....

Remember: use of silicone is a multi-step process

Step one - apply it

step two - realize what you have done

step three - sell trailer to someone who doesn't realize.....

If you are the unfortunate buyer there is also a multi-step process

Step one - think of a perfect place to hide a body

step two - track down the dolt who put the stuff on there in the first place

step three - struggle, scrape and curse

step four - realize that NOTHING (including more silly-cone) will stick where silly cone has been previously applied

step five - after reading this thread, use a silicone remover that works, and start over using a butyl rubber caulk or butyl rubber tape/putty
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmmm sillycon remover.......bad jokes about sister-in-law.....hmmmm if wife see's,,,,can't end well.....never mind
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote