Simple question on Casitas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Simple question on Casitas

I recently purchased a 2000 casitas freedom deluxe ( which is now in storage)
My question is can someone provide the measurement for the area under rear dinette... Our plan is to leave table it in down position... And i m looking for some large plastic / tupperware type boxes to store clothes etc... I d like ti put 2 large plastic tubs in that area
I m just being lazy since my trailer is not really close
I m thinking it might be about 24x44x12???
Thanks in advance
Merry Christmas & Happy New Years to all

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a '96 liberty Deluxe 17 Casita. When we bought it, the previous owners, friends of ours, had an artificial Xmas tree storage container under the rear bed. It's a long low plastic container with wheels on one end. Turned out it was a little too long and stuck out from under the bed about 8". So I cut about that much off, made a plywood end with a handle on it, and it works just fine rolling it in or out. I glued a couple rubber pads on the bottom of the outer end to keep it from sliding.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #3

Good idea
Since they make so many sizes of plastic boxes i m hoping i can find something pre made ( guess i m lazy)
That is why I'm looking for measurements... I do like your suggestion

Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Alan
If the bed stays down all the time remove the leg sockets from under the table top to get more storage space. On my last Casita the PO made a wood box out of plywood to fit the area under the bed. He attached furniture moving pads to the box so it would slide on the carpet. He also added side and cross bars to keep the box in place during travel.With the custom box all the space was utilized and you could store fairly tall stuff.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Another good idea.... Any Idea of measurements ( guess i need to dust off my table saw

Old 12-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
On my 17 ft Casita ,the converter is located in the face of the rear dinette bench. The converter needs ventillation space. . Filling up the whole area under the bed with storage tubs may lead to the converter overheating. The required free air space for the converter is listed in the converter manual.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On my 17 ft Casita ,the converter is located in the face of the rear dinette bench. The converter needs ventillation space. . Filling up the whole area under the bed with storage tubs may lead to the converter overheating. The required free air space for the converter is listed in the converter manual.
Good point Steve. I keep the storage tub over to the opposite side away from the converter so there is space for air circulation.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Again all good ideas ( i had no intention if blocking off the inverter
But i m still looking for some measurements
Anybody ????

Old 12-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

I meant converter

Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
No measurements here, I'm a Scamp guy. I would however caution anybody of adding too much weight in that area of any trailer. More weight at the read creates a nice pendulum effect for increasing the possible of uncontrollable sway. Crashes and ruin your whole day.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Is your Casita a 16 or a 17 footer? I think the measurement will be different, depending on the length of the trailer. The 16 footer has a raised floor under the big dinette...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mary is correct. And it would really help if folks made certain their profiles are correct when asking questions. WE really want to help you, but the differences in brand, size or model years could make us give us the wrong answers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita
See posts under interior section in Casita forum website.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #14

Name: Roselyn
Trailer: Casita 16 SD
Texas
simple question on casitas

We have a 2000 Casita spirit deluxe 16'. On the Casita website, the floor plan looks the same as the 17' with the exception of the captain's chairs. The measurement between the two benches in our Casita is right at 28". We keep our back dinette in bed configuration. We use two 30" Coleman Rolling duffles (from walmart-$29) as storage under the "bed." They have a main pocket, front pocket, and side pocket. Even when full, there is still a bit of space between the tops and the table underside and between the two bags. They slide in and out easily and so far have stayed in place during travel. I got them because I couldn't find a ready-made box/bag that fit as well without leaving wasted space or being difficult to use.
Roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #15

Name: Roselyn
Trailer: Casita 16 SD
Texas
Oh, I forgot to tell you the front to back measurement (36" board at the back to end of the ledge; 31" to edge of bench) and height (14")
Roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #16

I guess in the excitement of getting a casitas w/ bathroom ( at my wife's insistence) we forgot to update our profile... It is a 2000 17' casitas freedom deluxe

Old 12-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #17

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Alan, we have a 2001 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. Not sure but I believe the dimensions of the dinette area are the same for both the Freedom & the Spirit models. I didn't like the extra piece of 'particle board' (MDF?) that you had to slip into the bench slots to make the bed, & we wanted to leave it in the bed position more or less permanently so I bought a sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood & cut a replacement for both the table & the extra piece (1 pc). Dunno if the Freedom is like the Spirit but in our Spirit there is an 'angled' piece of plywood at the very rear, between the benches. It covers the water line from fresh water tank (our tank is under the curb side dinette bench) to the pump, as well as the inline filter/strainer). I had to cut a new piece for there also since it had been wet & the MDF?? had deteriorated badly. Don't remember the exact dimensions but it extends the full width of the aisle between benches. approx 8" up the rear wall & approx 7" forward over the carpet, held in place by a couple of 2 1/2" screws into the floor. That leaves an area of open floor approx 44" long, 27 1/2" wide, and 15" high were we place a couple of 65qt locking lid Sterilite brand plastic containers from Wal Mart. They leave plenty of room for ventilation & still have room for maneuvering, If I were using the factory table for our bed, the table 'post sockets' would probably interfere with movement?? Sometimes we only use 1 of the containers & carry extra supplies/pots'n pans, etc, in a plastic milk crate in the same area. If you don't have the angled board that covers the water line, you can add about 7" or so the the length measurement above. You probably won't have this problem with your Freedom but you have to subtract a couple of inches from the width when you move forward into the aisle between the stove/sink area & the 2-person dinette on our Spirit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1648 - Copy.JPG   IMG_1644 - Copy.JPG  

IMG_1645 - Copy.JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #18

Simple question on Casitas

Thanks Harvey....that is exactly what i was looking for
Old 12-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #19

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
The area under the table you are looking for measurements. . .

Hi Alan,

I know you got your measurements, but the DW is baking cookies, 21 y/o daughter is building archictecture Legos, 18 y/o daughter is taking a nap due to early morning present opening, and I want an excuse to go out to the driveway, unzip the cover, turn on the radio, turn on the lights, turn on the heat, and sit in the new to us '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe. Here are my measurements of the area:

Width 25.5"
Depth 45.25" from the slanted board forward
Height 15"

I hope this helps a little more!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #20

Name: Dean
Kentucky