Single gas tank regulator - Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Name: Shelley
Trailer: Scamp
Single gas tank regulator - Scamp

Howdy everyone!

I'm in the process of swapping our 13' Scamp from a two tank propane setup to a one-tank propane setup.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to answer a couple questions about the single tank regulator sold on the Scamp website(made by manchester tank). Does anyone have any suggestions on how this regulator should be mounted (vertical? horizontal?)? Does anyone have any photos of where/how they have mounted this regulator?

Could the regulator possibly be mounted vertically on one of the "single tank hold down straps" also sold on scamp's website?

How well do the regulators work that screw directly onto the propane tank? We frequent rough desert roads and wonder how well one of the direct-to-tank regulators would hold up?

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

ShelleyZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There's no need to buy a regulator from Scamp, because they are common items carried by every RV parts store... but I see no problem with getting it from them if you want.

I don't think Manchester makes regulators - perhaps Scamp gets theirs from Manchester along with their propane tanks, but the dual regulator looks like a Marshall model 254... although I don't recognize the single-input regulator.

The orientation of a propane regulator is determined by the vent, which should point down. It looks like the vent in Scamp's parts store photo is facing left and a bit toward the camera, which means that this regulator should mount so the hose runs into it horizontally, turned to face that vent down which would put the mounting plate (under it it the photo) vertically against some support.

Usually, there is a plastic cover over the vent, especially if it is used outside (rather than in a compartment with the tank, as is normal on motorhomes and fifth-wheel trailers).

Any reasonably sized single-input regulator can mount directly to the tank. The Scamp single regulator comes with a hose for the tank connection, but that could be removed and a fitting for the tank valve screwed directly into the regulator (assuming the regulator has the usual pipe threaded port). My motorhome, for instance, is done this way. I would rather use a hose as Scamp intends and support the regulator solidly on a fixed bracket... especially on rough roads.

Watch out for small regulators that screw directly onto tanks - they are often single-stage units intended only for outdoor appliances such as barbecues; an RV regulator should be a two-stage unit, such as that sold by Scamp.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
I second what Bryan said. I bought a two stage regulator at my local RV dealer in the Bay Area for under $30. Works flawlessly.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote