Single instead of a bunk bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13 ft (Little Bertha)
I am considering coverting the front "couch" into a single bed on my Scamp. I dislike the bunk bed and feel claustrophobic when I sleep on the bottom. Has anyone gotten rid of the back and made a permanent single bed using the banana cushion space? What do you think? That way I keep the table in place unless two are camping.
EllyRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I do exactly this in mine. I am VERY small tho. And I have a 17ft Burro. I think the guacho is wider/deeper on mine. (I know it's bigger than the one on my 13 was!)

I have no problem with sleeping on the single.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I did that with the 13ft scamp i had..but I had a friend make a platform so i could stick 3 more drawers underneath it... for more storage.. I found it was ok... its not very wide but worked out ok for me... I dont have any pics of it anymore...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I did that with the 13ft scamp i had..but I had a friend make a platform so i could stick 3 more drawers underneath it... for more storage.. I found it was ok... its not very wide but worked out ok for me... I dont have any pics of it anymore...
That's a good idea, raise the bunk a bit into the empty space above.

I chose instead to build a single bunk across the back, almost at window level to take advantage of the breezes, with a pull-out tray table under it. I would sit on the bench between the kitchen unit and the bunk. Here's a photo without bedding. The only holes I had to put in the fiberglass were through the bench to keep the supports in place. This also let me keep both front bunks intact for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_rear_table__Small_.jpg  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
I do this as well. I unfastened the back as I like the support behind when sitting on the couch, and simply slide it under the bottom cushions for sleeping. The extra cushion is nice for my not so great back, too. It's fine for sleeping.
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
That's a good idea, raise the bunk a bit into the empty space above.

I chose instead to build a single bunk across the back, almost at window level to take advantage of the breezes, with a pull-out tray table under it. I would sit on the bench between the kitchen unit and the bunk. Here's a photo without bedding. The only holes I had to put in the fiberglass were through the bench to keep the supports in place. This also let me keep both front bunks intact for storage.
Pete,
Two young kids could slide their feet under the top bunk and each sleep on one of the benches. That would sleep three right there the way you've got it. Cool....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Pete isn't showing the dust ruffles. Kids wouldn't like them.. they'd fall in their face and all...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We knew we would never need the bunk, so we removed the plywood from the back cushion that serves as the top bunk. It's more comfortable to lean back against when we sit there now. If I want to take an afternoon nap indoors, I flip the back cushion onto the seat cushion & it makes a comfortable bed. My 6' hubby has even found it roomy enough to snooze on from time to time. If I were camping alone, I would sleep there and leave the table up all the time.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Pete isn't showing the dust ruffles. Kids wouldn't like them.. they'd fall in their face and all...
To say nothing of the rat cage on one side and needing the storage space under the bunk for storage of my clothes. Space is kinda critical when Full Timing. But for weekending, my setup would be good for three in the back and two more up front.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13 ft (Little Bertha)
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am going to go ahead and get rid of the bunk as I cannot see that it would ever be used. I like the idea of raising the bed and putting in storage space. Much appreciation to all who responded.
EllyRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #11

Just don't discard the parts in case you want the bunk back or want to sell the egg.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Just don't discard the parts in case you want the bunk back or want to sell the egg.
When we bought our Scamp, the previous owner had taken out the bunk and had a cushion made to fit that space. No back rest. It was a nice, but we needed the sleeping space and built a bunk bed back into that space. The previous owner had not kept the parts but my handy husband was able to do it.

So by all means, take out the bunk! Do keep the parts!

Maggie.
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Do you travel with rats? I used to have rats. wonderful pets. Our Jack was quite the mouser!
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
Do you travel with rats? I used to have rats. wonderful pets. Our Jack was quite the mouser!
Cyndi,
Pete's posts were from 2008. Pete is no longer with us, a form of throat cancer shortened his life. We all miss Pete's intelligence and wit.

Yes, he did travel with pet rats.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
oh so sad! I remember he helped me on a few posts. In the great rv in the sky and i hope having good weather. He may be keeping company with ranford and jack, rest their furry little souls.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote