Size of Holding Tanks in 1999 Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft
Hi All,

My husband and I are the proud owners of our first Burro. It is a 1999 and we are in the process of trying to "make" it our own. We are at a loss for a lot of information as the manual we got from the previous owners is very limited in information. Do any of you know the size of the grey and fresh water tanks in this model. We do know that the black water is 8 gallons. We would be most grateful for any info on this as we are taking our baby out next weekend for the first time. I am so happy to be an "egg" owner.

Polly
paula gerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations on owning a new-to-you molded lightweight fiberglass trailer

I don't own a Burro, but will point out the Document Center on the left nav bar, under Resources. You'll find a Burro manual there. It's from 1981, but may contain valuable info for you as well:
Trailer Brand Manufacturer - Brochures and Owner Manuals
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the manual is rather ambiguous. Probably because they changed their minds everyday depending on who they owed money to.

My fresh is 15 gallons, + 8 that goes into the water heater, my black is 8. I know, not much better than your average porta potti, but I manage by "Flushing" sparingly when without hookups.

I have never measured the grey, but it appears to be about 10.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
This may be of some help, since our 2000 model is likely very similar. That said, I wouldn't put it past the manufacturers of these things to change the items depending on availability, cost, need for improvements, etc.

The gray water and fresh water tanks are listed as 17 gallons each. The water heater holds another 6 gallons of fresh water, of course.

Since the freshwater tank is mounted transversely there is some variation in how much you can get out of it without refilling, since the pickup point could be higher if the street side is higher (trailer not level). If I were to design a freshwater tank I would shape it so the full capacity is available independent of leveling. That might even involve two vents, one on each end of the tank in order to allow complete filling regardless of level or not.

My practice is to top up the tank more often than absolutely necessary, partially because it is a nuisance to have to purge the system after the pump has been trying to suck up air. Think jackhammer.

If I had to replace the tanks I would opt for 20-22 gallon capacity units, but the downside is that there is a temptation to add more weight to the trailer. Fortunately these tanks are close to the axle, so the towing characteristics are quite constant regardless of how full they are.
I'd be happy to share some of my findings about these units, since ours is "enhanced," and the expected trouble areas have pretty much been dealt with. Great trailer, with exceptional possibilities for customization. Email me for more information.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft
Thank you all for the detailed answers. I am sure that we will have many more questions for all of you. We have camped for many years but never owned an egg. We are having a lot of fun fixing it up, but due to the size constraints we have re-think what we really need to take with us.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Polly
paula gerde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro