Slick Extension Mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Slick Extension Mirrors

I like simplicity and functionality - so I designed and built some extension mirrors to use with my egg. Some of you have requested that I post more about them - so here you are!

Consists of two mirrors (with rear swivel bolt) from auto store - 1" x 3/16" strap steel - four expanding anchor type nuts/bolts/washer and two 3/8" bolts/nuts/washers. On the bottom of the factory mirror, strike a line parallel with the mirror angle. Carefully drill two holes for the expansion nuts and fasten a piece of strap steel as a permanent mirror bracket. Cut strap steel long enough to allow new mirror to extend just past the factory mirror. drill two holes - one for mounting and one for attaching the mirror.

I have 'brackets on my Honda ODY and TrailBlazer - use the same set of mirrors for either vehicle. It takes two - three minutes to put on or remove the new extension mirrors via one bolt each side. Make sure the bolt is nice and snug and use a lock washer, it becomes an automatic 'swing away' in case you accidently run into something with the extension mirror - if that happens just re-position and tighten the bolt. We have towed our EggCamper nearly 10,000 miles - and they stay put. I just put them back on the TrailBlazer before heading to the mountains once again - so I decided to take some pix.

Happy trails!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1-1.jpg   photo 1.jpg  

photo 2-1.jpg   photo 2.jpg  

photo 3-1.jpg   photo 4-1.jpg  

photo 4.jpg   photo 5.jpg  

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Cool! Nice work!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I bet these mirrors vibrate less than the usual ones that strap on or whatever. Very nice indeed!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I bet these mirrors vibrate less than the usual ones that strap on or whatever. Very nice indeed!
Thanks guys -

They hardly have any vibration. Note that the attachment bolt is upside down - I do it this way so the end of the bolt applies a minor amount of pressure against the bottom of the factory mirror - acts as a stabilizer and eliminates most of the vibration.

I realized that some people may not be familiar with expansion nuts - here are a couple pix. The type I used were similar - not the solid rubber - they were rubber-coated brass. Use the shortest length possible to avoid interference in the factory mirror base - typically, the the 'base' is hollow.

Bill
Attached Images