Sliders or Crankout Windows On A New Scamp Trailer ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Sliders or Crankout Windows On A New Scamp Trailer ???

Hi everyone, Iam back but before I order my new !6' Scamp I need some advise on which window type to choose ? Which would cause less problems down the road , easier to clean/care for & if sreens are involved should that lean toward one type over the other ? Thanks ..... John & Gwen
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Crankouts are better in rain situations.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

New York
Hi .... I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have had the slider on my 2 Scamps and the crank outs on my Trillium and much prefer the crank outs.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If the crankouts being offered by Scamp are the old-fashioned "jalousies", I'm actually surprised to hear they're still offering them! I thought everyone had gone to the sliders, which as everyone so far seems to agree let an awful lot of rain in when open. Definitely choose the jalousies if that's a consideration.

There are two considerations I've heard folks mention per jalousies:
The first is is their sticky-outness when open. It's certainly no fun to run into one....The other thing is that they're not exactly dust proof.

But neither one of those considerations would persuade me to go to sliders instead...not in the Pacific NorthWET!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The new Scamp crank outs are only two panes of glass in a frame about 10" wide that open out, with solid glass on each side. I put one in our Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The new Scamp crank outs are only two panes of glass in a frame about 10" wide that open out, with solid glass on each side. I put one in our Uhaul.
I don't quite understand- do they open horizontally (like an awning) or vertically?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Like the horizon. That would have solved a wet bed in our 5ver the first time it rained. Not one end but both ends. Duh someone. Since then we have put on gutters. My husband hates the sliding windows as they are harder to close tight.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Somewhere I had posted a picture of our Uhaul showing the Scamp window, but now I can't remember on what thread and can't find it, but like Cyndi says they crank out like an awning. And there are only two panes that open, one above the other. A nice window really.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

New York
Wink

Thanks people for all the comments, We will go with the crank outs ...... John & Gwen
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Hi everyone, Iam back but before I order my new !6' Scamp I need some advise on which window type to choose ? Which would cause less problems down the road , easier to clean/care for & if sreens are involved should that lean toward one type over the other ? Thanks ..... John & Gwen
I prefer the sliders,better view, easier cleaning and maintenance,better look, and you won't put an eye out when walking by an open window,Like you could with the "Red Ryder" crankouts.
Crankouts, when open on the curbside, interfere with awning deployment.
As for rain infiltration, here is an excellent and attractive solution....
Attached Images

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #12

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
What are those called Floyd? Brand name?

Just found them. They're called Window Maxx Rain Guards.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I would love to have jalousies, although I'd prefer the old fashioned kind.. I'd certainly settle for the newer style. When the jalousies are opened, if anyone walks that close to the side of my trailer and pokes their eye out... THEY DESERVE IT. Gad, they're not that big. I have a crank out awning, no way jalousies would interfer with the deployment. And if they did, the simple solution would be to NOT open the windows until the awning is deployed. Sliders, when fully open, open less than 50%. Using the Window Maxx solves the rain issue, they still cover up nearly 1/3 of the smaller windows.

Here's a picture of Roger's Trillium with the newer jalousies: 2009 Trillium 13 ft Jalousie Windows

John IMHO you're making a good choice
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I went to Scamp 2 weeks ago and bought 2 crank outs for my Boler. Had a great tour of the factory while we were there too.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I went to Scamp 2 weeks ago and bought 2 crank outs for my Boler. Had a great tour of the factory while we were there too.
Rick, what size and what was the cost (if I may be so bold to ask)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Prices are on the Scamp website so it is not a secret Donna. I bought a 18x24 for the door side at $154. and a 18x36 for the other side for $170. both made by Hehr and alot cheaper then getting them from Hehr. Going back in the spring to get 2 of their 7x18 crank outs at $74. each
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Both Scamp and Trillium are using Hehr Tork or Torque (their term) windows. Scamp uses the small size and only on the sides. The rear is a slider. If you camp with power and have air conditioning, sliders are fine. Without air conditioning jalousies are the way to go. Raz

Windows - Hehr 8700 Series-Radius Torque
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I would love to have jalousies, although I'd prefer the old fashioned kind.. I'd certainly settle for the newer style. When the jalousies are opened, if anyone walks that close to the side of my trailer and pokes their eye out... THEY DESERVE IT. Gad, they're not that big. I have a crank out awning, no way jalousies would interfer with the deployment. And if they did, the simple solution would be to NOT open the windows until the awning is deployed. Sliders, when fully open, open less than 50%. Using the Window Maxx solves the rain issue, they still cover up nearly 1/3 of the smaller windows.

Here's a picture of Roger's Trillium with the newer jalousies: 2009 Trillium 13 ft Jalousie Windows

John IMHO you're making a good choice
Now you have both sides. You are right about the awning, I have a Catalina 2500 which they no longer make. I like it better than the Fiamma or the Horizon which would make another thread!
One point, If I were to settle for crankouts,I would have them on the sides only. A rear slider is especially nice for a clear and unobstructed view from the table.
BTW; the sliders provide more than adequate ventilation, as do the new crankouts which have two stationary sections.
My window max units cover 1/4 of the window.
Actually, I think the side windows on the Scamp ought to be shorter in height, which would allow for a better fit for the dinette cushions and get the window treatments up a little further off the bed.
If I were to order a new one again, I would consider having the slider kitchen windows installed in place of the side windows.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Thanks people for all the comments, We will go with the crank outs ...... John & Gwen
will save you from having to add a Maxxi Window vents that I had to add in order to get some air into the trailer when raining! Not a nice/easy job! I would stick to sliders at the rear though!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We are happy with the window configuration on our 2011, 13' Scamp. The side windows are crank-type and the rear window is a slider. Here is something to consider regarding window coverings. The crank-out windows do not seal completely. This is an advantage in that the interior is a bit ventilated at all times but a disadvantage when you are sleeping in the dinette/bed area. We do not like the feeling of air drifting down over our faces. When we installed custom-made manually-rolled shades of Ron-Loc blackout/insulating fabric (available at JoAnn's fabric) we sewed Velcro (hook and loop fastener) continuously across the bottom. That solved the air leakage issue handily. The other window shades only have short bits of Velcro on the bottom in that we want the ventilation so as to minimize condensation. Note: Towing the trailer home from Backus we simply draped a light fleece blanket over the curtain rod and tucked it under the mattress at our head end. That was a good temporary solution. Please see my photos below. The photos show the left side without and with curtains, the back and right windows without curtains. These photos show my first rendition wherein I had Velcro on the top edge as well as the bottom. I now have the top edge connected to a dowel with which I can simply roll up the shade when parked and drop it while in tow. There is no storage issue as a result...also no wrinkling.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 009.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 011.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, windows