Slow cooling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Slow cooling

I have a Dometic RM 2410 in my Scamp. The refrigerator is 3 years old (replacement by previous owner ) and has never been run on propane ."works great on 120 VAC" .Since we are doing some dry camping in July , I thought I should try the refer on propane before our trip . I started the refrigeratorr on propane (Set at Maxcool) Monday at 6:00 AM and by Wed at 4:00 PM the temperature in the refrigerator was down to a frigid 58 Deg F . It took 2 days in the freezer to freeze a 20 ounce bottle of water . Wed night - Thurs morning the outside temp dropped to 50 deg and Thurs morning the refrigerator temp had dropped to 42 Deg F. . Friday morning the Refrigerator temp was at 38 Deg F so I set the cold control to 4. This morning (Sat) the temp in the refrigerator was at 33 Deg F. Why would it take 4 to 5 days to get down to temp on gas and only 6 to 8 hours on electric ?? Propane tank was full, refrigerator was level both directions, outside temp was in the high 70's , vent was clear, baffle was in place flame size and color was good , had a fan in the refrigerator compartment ,burner area was clean etc. etc. Any ideas ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Have you cleaned the nozzle and the grate? I used to have to clean my Norcold N300 yearly. My smaller Dometic not so often. Follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't have a manual check the document center. If that doesn't fix it try hanging a muffin fan on the upper vent. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Have you cleaned the nozzle and the grate? I used to have to clean my Norcold N300 yearly. My smaller Dometic not so often. Follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't have a manual check the document center. If that doesn't fix it try hanging a muffin fan on the upper vent. Raz
Thank you for the suggestion I cleaned and blew out the nozzle and burner slots on Tuesday but it didn't seem to do much good. I also placed a fan in the vent which helped a little. but not much. I tried to download the manual from the document center one evening and by the next morning it was still downloading . We live in rural Wisconsin and have dial up internet so big files are a problem.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
From the trouble shooting Dometic 2410 manual:

Insufficient cooling on gas.
Cools properly on other mode(s).

LP Gas
Thermostat
Filter
Orifice
Burner
Flue Baffle
Flue Tube

Also do you have a good baffle between the bottom and top vents to ensure that no air bypasses the heat exchanger?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thank you for the suggestion I cleaned and blew out the nozzle and burner slots on Tuesday but it didn't seem to do much good. I also placed a fan in the vent which helped a little. but not much. I tried to download the manual from the document center one evening and by the next morning it was still downloading . We live in rural Wisconsin and have dial up internet so big files are a problem.
Tom has hit the the biggies. Alcohol to clean the orifice in the nozzle and I use to use a wire brush on those slots. Remove the mouse nest from the chimney and you're good to go. My N300 had a freezer that I think cooled at the expense of the fridge area. The Dometic 2193 I have now is half the size with no freezer and seems to work better. Dial up. Yeah, I remember that. We now have Verizon Mifi. Baby steps. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Everytime I've had trouble with my fridge is caused by spiders.