Slow draining Scamp 16 kitchen sink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Slow draining Scamp 16 kitchen sink

The kitchen sink in my 2015 Scamp 16 drains very slowly. From visual inspection above and below I don't see anything wrong. It has been the same very slow since new. Before I start taking things apart I just want to know of others experience.
Thanks.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The P trap under the skink may be clogged or the drain line to the gray tank may have a bit of a kink in it in places it takes a turn.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

California
Registry
Thanks Carol. Since yours works better I know to keep looking for the problem.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Doug I do not know which layout you have but I know on mine at the point that the drain hose leaves the sink cabinet and goes into the back compartment it does take a bend... that would be the first place I would look. Also if it has had a issue since new it is possible that something was dropped down into the drain during the build and stuck in the P trap under the sink.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Carol is correct it is usually caused by a kink in the drain line or stopped up trap. Another option is there could be an obstruction at the barb fitting where the drain hose is attached to the tank. The barb fitting is glued to the tank and a drill is inserted into the drain fitting and tank opening is drilled out. It could be a burr catching stuff and obstructing the drain. A third option is a muddiber has clogged the tank vent line. The vent line usually is by your drain input and loops up under the seat and then goes through the floor. You can see the vent hose under the rear seat and floor.
The best way to troubleshoot if visual check is OK is to disconnect the drain line from the tank under the seat and put the drain hose in a gal. jug. If water flows free to the jug then you have an issue with the tank fittings or vent hose.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Also take a look at the tank vent to see if the tank can breath . if the vent is blocked the water will drain slow.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Slow sink drain

My sink p-trap drain can be taken apart. There are two styles and they are both made to be taken apart from under the sink. It looks like a little bowl with the hose to the holding tank on the right side. Visit an RV store and look at one .
Old 02-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
My hose had a kink in it. Under the seat. Had to strap a straight pc of wood to it to keep it open.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #9

California
Registry
Thanks for the advice. It was the crimp in the drain hose that caused the problem. It was a bit odd to me since the crimp was down rather low and as water was draining I could see it back up 2-3 inches but there was plenty of air in the line above that below the sink. But when I removed the crimp just with my hands watching the water drain it helped a lot. Permanent solution was to get a plastic elbow inserted into the line at the bend causing the crimp. Now no crimp & fast flowing drain. :-)

Tags
scamp