Slow leak from grey water tank. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
Slow leak from grey water tank.

I managed to run over a small tree stump with our 2015 Scamp 13 and that started a slow leak from our grey water tank right around where the large drain pipe joins with the tank. I couldn't see any cracks or anything, but it does seem like maybe the seam opened up where the pipe to the gate valve exits the tank. So I was wondering, what is the best way to fix that? I am thinking the tank and pipe are ABS plastic? (It is kind of a drip every 3 seconds or so slow leak.)
__________________

zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19, Oliver LE2
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 1,552
Here's a link to the Scamp site, and maybe the tank you have.

If it is polyethylene, it is probably not glueable, but if it is ABS, it should be. Maybe call Scamp.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...nk-detail.html
__________________

__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
It is ABS. What is the best way to repair that then? What particular adhesive and techniques seem to work well? I think the leak is probably in the seam.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Posts: 1,446
There should be a threaded fitting that goes into the tank. If that is the issue, it's a fairly simple remove and replace job. If the tank itself is damaged, and Scamp can't supply a suitable replacement, I would contact TAP Plastics for material and repair information. They have stores all over the west coast. Do it right the first time is a rule to follow here.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Posts: 1,667
The pipe just slides into the tank. (not threaded) Scamps seals it with silicone. You remove the old sealant and clean it up. I use alcohol and used black silicone to reseal it. There is a low spot on the tank where the pipe goes in that traps water. Jack up the trailer on the drain side to keep the water out of the joint until it cures. I also make a wood block to fit between the pipe and the floor and use a pipe strap to secure things tight. If I were to do another one I would use OSI Quad sealant, you can get it from the big box stores. It a butyl sealant that will seal even on wet surfaces. Like silicone it takes about 24 hours to cure and they are both non-workable. I have resealed three Scamp tanks with silicone and had no issues
Eddie
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19, Oliver LE2
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 1,552
^^^^^^^
This is the right answer. The voice of experience.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
Quad max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
The pipe just slides into the tank. (not threaded) Scamps seals it with silicone. You remove the old sealant and clean it up. I use alcohol and used black silicone to reseal it. There is a low spot on the tank where the pipe goes in that traps water. Jack up the trailer on the drain side to keep the water out of the joint until it cures. I also make a wood block to fit between the pipe and the floor and use a pipe strap to secure things tight. If I were to do another one I would use OSI Quad sealant, you can get it from the big box stores. It a butyl sealant that will seal even on wet surfaces. Like silicone it takes about 24 hours to cure and they are both non-workable. I have resealed three Scamp tanks with silicone and had no issues
Eddie
Thanks Eddie. Do you mean this one?
OSI Sealants 1868684 9.5 oz Quad Max Window, Door and Siding Sealant, White
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
jacking

I could jack up the drain side, put it on jack stands, chock the opposite wheel, and then crawl under and work on it: does that sound safe? Any advice?
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Posts: 1,667
That's the sealant. It comes in a lot of colors. It's usually stocked in white and clear and a few other colors. Jack stands are safe on a flat solid surface. Just make sure the joint is dry when you seal it.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,167
Registry
The tank itself is likely cracked at the fitting since it is the thinner and weaker link.
I have had exactly the same experience and was able to seal it while on the road with silicone sealant.
When I got home I looked it over.


My Advice is....
For the best solution, replace the tank.
When you order it get the fitting kit with it.
You will save a bunch of aggravation.


Save the valve parts.
If you have a blackwater tank, the valve gets buildup over time which causes it to leak through and makes it difficult to cycle.
The graywater tank valve stays clean.
Use the old valve parts from the graywater to rebuild the blackwater tank valve. That's a small bonus from the replacement of the blackwater tank.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
when I was servicing RVs I had a holding tank that had dragged over a stump splitting it over its entire length. I used a tool grinder and gouged the crack out and using a plastic welder, laid three beads of weld along the crack. Entire job took about one half hour. Saw the owner several years later and he stated it had never leaked a drop.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing M. View Post
when I was servicing RVs I had a holding tank that had dragged over a stump splitting it over its entire length. I used a tool grinder and gouged the crack out and using a plastic welder, laid three beads of weld along the crack. Entire job took about one half hour. Saw the owner several years later and he stated it had never leaked a drop.
Thanks Bing. That sounds great. (are you in Buellton perchance?)
I don't have a plastic welder, just a heat gun. I was thinking some JB Weld plastic bonder might work on a small crack. I have some syringes to inject it with.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The tank itself is likely cracked at the fitting since it is the thinner and weaker link.
I have had exactly the same experience and was able to seal it while on the road with silicone sealant.
When I got home I looked it over.


My Advice is....
For the best solution, replace the tank.
When you order it get the fitting kit with it.
You will save a bunch of aggravation.


Save the valve parts.
If you have a blackwater tank, the valve gets buildup over time which causes it to leak through and makes it difficult to cycle.
The graywater tank valve stays clean.
Use the old valve parts from the graywater to rebuild the blackwater tank valve. That's a small bonus from the replacement of the blackwater tank.
Thanks. Appreciate the advice!
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Posts: 18
Heat gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
The pipe just slides into the tank. (not threaded) Scamps seals it with silicone. You remove the old sealant and clean it up. I use alcohol and used black silicone to reseal it. There is a low spot on the tank where the pipe goes in that traps water. Jack up the trailer on the drain side to keep the water out of the joint until it cures. I also make a wood block to fit between the pipe and the floor and use a pipe strap to secure things tight. If I were to do another one I would use OSI Quad sealant, you can get it from the big box stores. It a butyl sealant that will seal even on wet surfaces. Like silicone it takes about 24 hours to cure and they are both non-workable. I have resealed three Scamp tanks with silicone and had no issues
Eddie
Is it okay to use a heat gun a little bit for the final drying after it is jacked up and drained?
__________________

zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draining black tank into grey tank..... Joe & Cherie General Chat 63 04-19-2017 06:35 PM
Black/grey water tank leak? frank_a Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 28 09-02-2014 08:57 PM
How do i find a VERY slow propane leak? Mouse Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 37 03-22-2012 06:31 PM
Water supply hose to the holding tank - grey water Kathy L Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-26-2009 04:52 PM
Leaking Grey Water Tank on Boler KevinDR Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 7 09-01-2007 10:12 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.